Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why did Jimbo choose A&M?

12,180 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PacifistAg
Bobcat-Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/beyond-the-money-why-jimbo-fisher-ultimately-stiff-armed-fsu-for-texas-a-m/

According to the conjecture from Dennis Dodd, it was because A&M is loaded!
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

FSU is a place you retire. Texas A&M has more or less wallowed in mediocrity for the last 20 years.
Nebraska's football program wallowed in mediocrity from its beginning until Bob Devaney came along, followed by Tom Osbourne. They flourished from 1970 until 1997. They are now "wallowing" in mediocrity. It happens. Michigan football is wallowing in mediocrity now. You could say that about many college programs. But sometimes, you strike gold in a head coach who takes a program to new heights. Jimbo Fisher just might be the one to take us there.

Just because A&M has had a bad run doesn't mean we have to stay in it. Any "journalist" who writes this crap has no real knowledge of college football history or the rise and fall of programs.
Alpha Texan
AG
there are 75 million reasons
BroncoJohnson
AG
It starts and ends with the $75 million he will receive. There are lots of factors in between those dollars, such as state of the art facilities/stadium, recruiting base, and passion from Aggies.
BTHOB-98
Lbull said:

there are 75 million reasons
Ginormus Ag
AG
We have the best chicken wraps $24 can buy. A clause in his contract allows him to have one whenever he wants, for free.
FriendlyAg
Ginormus Ag said:

We have the best chicken wraps $24 can buy. A clause in his contract allows him to have one whenever he wants, for free.

That's good, because if I was coach, I would buy 3,125,000 chicken wraps and dominate the market, then sell them for 25 dollars when people got hungry. Quick way to make 3 mill.
Bill Superman
AG
All signs point to a rift between Jimbo and those in charge at FSU. It seems the issues were somewhere between him not getting everything he wanted in order to have the edge over the competition and him just disliking those he worked for - because as those us that aren't too lolpoor know, your boss can dictate your happiness and success at your job and have influence be over your quality of life. With this being a lateral move with all things considered, and all of the information we have, this seems the most obvious Indication... hope Buzbee is easier to work for
ag94ag
AG
rocky the dog said:

Quote:

FSU is a place you retire. Texas A&M has more or less wallowed in mediocrity for the last 20 years.
Nebraska's football program wallowed in mediocrity from its beginning until Bob Devaney came along, followed by Tom Osbourne. They flourished from 1970 until 1997. They are now "wallowing" in mediocrity. It happens. Michigan football is wallowing in mediocrity now. You could say that about many college programs. But sometimes, you strike gold in a head coach who takes a program to new heights. Jimbo Fisher just might be the one to take us there.

Just because A&M has had a bad run doesn't mean we have to stay in it. Any "journalist" who writes this crap has no real knowledge of college football history or the rise and fall of programs.
These are the same journalists that believe that "we need to stay in our lane."

They are afraid of us and what we may accomplish.

ignatiusreilly4ever
Maybe because we signed him to one of the most lucaritive coaching contracts in sports history.
Just an educated guess.
bigcat22
AG
Dolla dolla bills y'all.
bruno319
AG
ag94ag said:

rocky the dog said:

Quote:

Yep! And as soon as we have success, they'll be begging for interviews, access, insight and saying how great A&M is, how they knew it all along.
Sean Mercer
rocky the dog said:

Quote:

What exactly did he say in those two sentences that was untrue?
Lateralus Ag
AG
ag94ag said:

rocky the dog said:

Quote:

What exactly are they afraid of? What do they have to fear?

The guy wrote that article SPECIFICALLY to generate interest in the article. He wrote about a lucrative contract that was signed by a National Title winning coach and he pointed out the obvious: Texas A&M hasn't been a place to attract a coach like that since Fran, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

We have absolutely wallowed in mediocrity. But we made a HUGE hire with Jimbo and that was surprising. Even to the most die-hard sunshine pumpers on this board, it was a surprise hire.

That is worthy of writing an article about.

Frankly, I took it as a complimentary article about TAMU having the resources and the balls to take a shot at a guy like Jimbo.

But you guys see ghosts and phantoms at every turn.

So, I ask you again. What, exactly, is there to be afraid of for a journalist if we have a successful football program? They get to write stories about how unlikely it was that we won a title? How impossible the odds were lookingat our history? How unlikely it was that we would get a head coach like Jimbo?

Yea, if I was a journalist I would be hoping for something like that to happen. And I would set that scene with an article pretty much like that dude wrote.

But that is just me.
TrustinAgs
75 Million
Plus....
House for Jimbo
House for Candi *xwife
House for Courtney *girlfriend
Lifetime Medical for son.

What a deal !
Aggie
AG
All about the $

That's why he is here.
We bought him
APHIS AG
rocky the dog said:

Quote:

The bottom line is America's "sweetheart" team in Texas, t.u., is being challenged. Seeing A&M success is bad for t.u., period, and even though we are not in the same conference nor play each other, sports "journalist" will protect those schools that they consider "blue bloods" which includes FSU.

That is why Jimbo is being slammed.
GoldenGun00
AG
I wonder if some of you even read the article. It takes a lot to be offended by that article, as overall it was not at all negative. That paragraph that has some of you riled up simply recognizes that it was a shock to most of the sports world that Fisher would leave FSU for TAMU, which is true. For those outside the Aggie bubble, you have to dig deeper than the surface level to understand why he would rather be at TAMU, and the article then does that. It recognizes many of the factors and advantages that would be appealing, as well as the strong start that he's had and the expectation that he will bring the program to an elite level. Dodds has written a couple other articles since Jimbo's arrival that were pretty complimentary, too.
Wrighty
AG
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

I wonder if some of you even read the article. It takes a lot to be offended by that article, as overall it was not at all negative. That paragraph that has some of you riled up simply recognizes that it was a shock to most of the sports world that Fisher would leave FSU for TAMU, which is true. For those outside the Aggie bubble, you have to dig deeper than the surface level to understand why he would rather be at TAMU, and the article then does that. It recognizes many of the factors and advantages that would be appealing, as well as the strong start that he's had and the expectation that he will bring the program to an elite level. Dodds has written a couple other articles since Jimbo's arrival that were pretty complimentary, too.
I read the article three times just to see if I was wrong. I don't think I was.

The line I quoted implies that FSU is the place where you retire, A&M isn't. So, is he saying FSU is a better place to be? Just because we have been mediocre for quite a while, is he saying that's the way it always is and will be at A&M?

Overall, it wasn't a negative article, but I took some of what he wrote as little digs at our University. And, of course, it was the usual article that A&M, flush with cash, is trying to buy our way to relevance and a national championship.

If Gabe Bock wrote the article, it would have a much different tone.
runontexas
AG
runontexas
AG
runontexas
AG
runontexas
AG
runontexas
AG
schwack schwack
AG

Meximan
Lateralus Ag said:

He wrote about a lucrative contract that was signed by a National Title winning coach and he pointed out the obvious: Texas A&M hasn't been a place to attract a coach like that since Fran, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

We have absolutely wallowed in mediocrity. But we made a HUGE hire with Jimbo and that was surprising. Even to the most die-hard sunshine pumpers on this board, it was a surprise hire.

Didn't surprise me, but then I also recognized that A&M actually has a long history of hiring big name coaches since the Bear: Bryant, Sherril, Fran, Chavis, Fisher. When Aggies want a big name bad enough, they get the big name. It should be surprising that people are surprised when we get the big Fish.
Raptor
AG
Quote:

Just because A&M has had a bad run

Ummm...80 years isn't a run. It's an era.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Some of you are too damn sensitive.
SidetrackAg
AG
Yeah. I thought it was a good article. I didnt think any of it was bashing A&M.
Gidnik
probably has something to do with 100% guarantee of 75 million dollars.
TMartin
This isn't the first swipe Dennis Dodd, CBS, has taken at Fisher since his move to A&M. The Fisher move is old news by now. Sounds to me like Dodd has some vendetta and journalists have a forum to settle old scores.
SidetrackAg
AG
Gidnik said:

probably has something to do with 100% guarantee of 75 million dollars.
I think for elite coaches, guaranteed will now be the norm. You think Saban or Dabo will go anywhere for anything less than guaranteed? Giving a large, guaranteed contract to an unproven coach is ridiculous, but you have to pay for elite coaching.
NoahAg
3 words: Post. Oak. Mall.
fightinag
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.