Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

"Jimbo Fisher is the most overrated coach in College Football"

24,159 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TexasAggiesWin
crunchyo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's dissect. Shall we? http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/02/jimbo-fisher-is-the-most-overrated-coach-in-college-football/

Quote:

Yes, Jimbo Fisher has a National title.
His team only finished 1 out of 129 teams. Awful.

Quote:

Yes, he had a very good 8-year run at Florida State.
When I googled "what is the averaging coaching length of college football head coaches" it returned, "The average tenure for NCAA FBS football coaches is 3.8 years..."

Quote:

He was handed the keys to Bobby Bowden's dynasty in Tallahassee, and he didn't screw it up.
From 2004-2009, Bobby Bowden went 9-3, 8-5, 7-6, 7-6, 9-4, 7-6. We just fired our coach who had a better record than that.

Quote:

They had a lineup full of NFL players. Literally, full. The entire 11-man offense from the 2013 National title team made it to the NFL. And the 11 starters on defense did, too. That's obscene.\
Nick Saban recruits THE WORST talent and develops them into beautiful swans...Jumbo sucks because he should too!

Quote:

How much credit does Fisher get for that?
Really?

Quote:

Obviously you've got to recruit the players. Then again, how much does the FSU brand recruit itself?
Why hire a coach if the brand recruits itself? Save yourself the money and spend it on volleyball or something?

Quote:

In the years in which Winston did not play, Fisher was 56-22. Winning 71% of your games is nothing to scoff at, though much of that was compiled before Clemson and Dabo Swinney became a monster.
I feel like the author is trying to hint that this number sucks, but at the same time negates his point by saying that the record is really good because the talent was lacking?

Quote:

Will Fisher win at Texas A&M?
TexAgs says "book it," so you bet your ass sonny boy.

Quote:

He's going up against Tom Herman at Texas, a marriage I think will work.
Do you mean marriage in a literal or figurative sense?

Quote:

Kliff Kingsbury is attracting talent to Texas Tech.
Texas Tech finished 2018 recruing #73, 1, 2, and 3, spots above Marshall, Western Michigan, and Louisiana Tech (according to Rivals).

Quote:

All of those hurdles plus the most difficult division in America, the SEC West.
Not to split hairs, but I would argue the NFL divisions are a lot harder.

Quote:

I don't see how this will work for a guy like Fisher, who has never spent a minute of his career coaching or playing in Texas.
Quite literally plug ANY successful coach into this statement in place of "Fisher" and try not to feel stupid.
Bayside Tiger Ag
crunchyo
BlueDeviledAg said:

Tl; dr
Did you even make it past the title before posting? I think not...
technoviking
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Here are some lovely ladies from Florida State's Delta Gamma sorority.

Sometimes they dress somewhat more formally.

SidetrackAg
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Starting from left to right:
Wood, wood, wood, wood, wood, wood, wood, wood, wood
Aggie1
AG
Yeah and RC inherited Jacke Sherrill's team and legacy too...
heddy Lamarr
AG
I think its funny how everyone in the Zoo is coming to the defense of Jimbo while selectively cherry-picking Sumlin's tenure at A&M...

Fact is Jimbo went -56 last season with the second best team in the ACC.

Jimbo is running away from Dabo, Richt, Mullen, UCF, USF and yes even Kiffin. He saw he couldn't continue the positive talent gap he had...saw he'd get run after two or three crappy seasons and bailed - We Ags were stupid enough (and desperate enough) to throw $75M at him and give up on one of the best coaches in college football.
Gigemags382
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

I think its funny how everyone in the Zoo is coming to the defense of Jimbo while selectively cherry-picking Sumlin's tenure at A&M...

Jimbo is running away from Dabo, Richt, Mullen, UCF, USF and yes even Kiffin. He saw he couldn't continue the positive talent gap he had...saw he'd get run after two or three crappy seasons and bailed - We Ags were stupid enough (and desperate enough) to throw $75M at him and give up on one of the best coaches in college football.

ag94ag
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Really?

Not sure wtf has made you so bitter about our new coach, but damn. That's about the most pessimistic and pathetic view of Fisher that I have ever read.

Fisher will win and will big for us.

I'll be glad to follow up with you after every one of his seasons for a crow eating contest.

Sumlin is one hell of an offensive coordinator. He had every resource that one could be given to win while he was here. He just didn't get it done.

Dabo didn't resurrect Clemson overnight. He has done one hell of a job though. Richt was fired for not being able to win the whole thing. Mullen is a damned good coach and does very well. Kiffin and Strong had good seasons.

However, I would take Fisher over each and everyone of them except Dabo. To me, maybe they are a coin toss. Both get the job done. Both are relentless recruiters and develop their athletes.

Lastly, look at the job Fisher has done with Recruiting in the short time that he has been here. That dude probably spent less than a week in College Station, he and his staff were on the road every freaking minute possible. For that alone, you should be at a minimum somewhat hopeful and respectful for what this staff has accomplished.
rocky the dog
AG
Quote:

We Ags were stupid enough (and desperate enough) to throw $75M at him and give up on one of the best coaches in college football.
Please explain. Detaiils, stats, records, accomplishments, titles.
ashley
Anyone that wins in college football has great players.
agdoc2001
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

It's over, Mrs. Sumlin, please go post on the Arizona forums now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sumlins Pool Guy
That'd be a bummer about the 75 mil if so
Dilly Dilly
AG
No matter what you think of Fisher, as long as Jim Harbaugh is still coaching in college football, Fisher can never be the most overrated coach.
Brick Tamland
Nothing goes down faster than an anchor
Brick Tamland
Also, didn't we just sign 17 four star players? I think he's doing fine in the recruiting department, despite never coaching or playing in Texas.
CrottyKid
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

I guess I missed the part where other schools were falling over themselves to grab Sumlin when we fired him.
TexasAggiesWin
S
heddy Lamarr said:

Ric Clark
If Sumlin knew how to pick an Offensive Coordinator he would still be here....the fact that he doesn't is the reason he is gone.

Fortune Favors Valor
AGinHI
AG
Thebiglead?

Hard to keep up with all these insignificant blogs.
HoustonAg2106
AG
One of four active coaches that have won a national championship.

That is all.
ag_eet
AG
The most important class Jimbo recruited was his coaches. Clean break from previous staff. I think some one has said this already but it fits this thread.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Nothing goes down like an anchor
Hamburger Dan
Dilly Dilly said:

No matter what you think of Fisher, as long as Jim Harbaugh is still coaching in college football, Fisher can never be the most overrated coach.

Very much the truth.
WC94
AG
I bet 4 of those girls have herpes. Still wouldn't stop me though.
zmurda
heddy Lamarr said:

I guess you're trying to be one of a kind and build your brand....because surely there is no one else that agrees with you...anywhere...in the universe.
Gidnik
i do think we(society)throw the word great around far too often. that said Jimbo is 100% a top tier coach.
Brick Tamland
Nice joke, just an hour late to it
aggiepaintrain
AG
Didn't ready but Kliff & Kevin are the real #1a & 1b
halfastros81
AG
That article sucked.
RAB83
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Come on. You gotta be trolling, right?
Arthur Stilwell
heddy Lamarr said:

You've been anti-Fisher ever since the rumor started that we were going after him. Obviously, that was your prerogative.

But now I think it's all a ruse and you're just trolling.

Who in their right mind would think that Sumlin is one of the best coaches in CFB?
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

Jimbo is running away from Dabo, Richt, Mullen, UCF, USF and yes even Kiffin.

So he came HERE????
aggiebrad94
AG
Can anyone name a championship coach that didn't have Hall of Fame players?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.