Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It looks like Sumlim is getting the last laugh.

26,848 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
bonfire70
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bonfire70
ironmanag
AG
Why do you care it's not your money nor is it A&M's.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
you use the words last laugh a little too early my friend
I am here for the comments.
SABUILDERAG
He's worth every penny. To not be here.
Mike Elko
AG
Darren Rovell
CoachLB
If his only goal is money he is happy. If he is a competitor he cannot be happy we paid him to leave because he failed. If he is happy to fail and take our money we should have fired him sooner.
Gyles Marrett
CoachLB said:

If his only goal is money he is happy. If he is a competitor he cannot be happy we paid him to leave because he failed. If he is happy to fail and take our money we should have fired him sooner.
Very true....but I wish my job would pay me 11 mil to leave
Eric Forman
AG
CoachLB said:

hunter2012
AG
[Posting rumors like that is a quick way to get a permanent ban. -Staff]
CoachLB
I would rather get 11 million a year and a bunch of rings like Saban. But then again receiving money for being a failure doesn't do it for me.
technoviking
AG
CoachLB said:

Well said.
jr15aggie
AG
I have given A&M $0 since I graduated and I am furious how my money is being spent!
The Agly Duckling
Good for Sumlin and his family. Good luck in AZ. Now, let's win some games in the SEC.
BTKAG97
AG
Nicely done keeping up with current events OP.
Bone6
OP,

How so? We're paying him, but he's having to go to a job that's not as good where it will be much more difficult to win at a high level. Sumlin is an ambitious man. If you're let go from a job yet given a good severance, it still sucks if you have ambition.
Amazing Moves
Money well spent.
SeattleAgJr
He gone.

Thank god.

Good riddance.
paterfamilias79
AG
Oil at $63 + barrel
hunter2012
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

We're gonna end up committing over $100 million on just head coaching for the football program...

Damn sure better work out the way we want it to. That's a lot of ched...

Ched from a handful of BMAs, it isn't your money so it's kind if strange to b*tch about it.
Bone6

Quote:

So, if that's the case, then we should never ever ever criticize rivals of ours for the contracts they cut for their respective coaches. Did I get that right?
Not unless it's a fundamentally bad HC candidate.

Historically going all in on a proven winner, still in their prime has worked even if it's above market value. If another school makes a move like that I won't criticize them for it.

Do you think Alabama regrets the big contract at the time they gave Saban when they stole him from the Dolphins?

Do you think Ohio State regrets the big contract they gave Meyer to come back into coaching after taking a year off from Florida?

If a school were to give a Godfather offer to a hot commodity yet unproven coach like P. J. Fleck at this stage I would question it, but if LSU were to hypothetically give Dabo a Godfather offer to go to LSU 10 months from now I wouldn't criticize them for it.
Texarkanaag69
AG
As Capt. McCrea said," Money well spent, both times."
TXAGBQ76
AG
people screamed bloody murder to have him gone- yet they must really miss him, as they cannot stop talking about him.
Secolobo
AG
Rovell does math.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
Luke The Drifter
AG
Sumlin is a great negotiator.

- Steve Spurrier

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Rock1982
AG
Brother, let it go.
chipotle
What do you mean last laugh? He didn't do crap here. In 2012 he took an nfl roster, pointed which way the endzone was and swag'd his way into our pockets for more money. Hired/fired a bunch of crap over priced coordinators and got more money. Then took off to arizona with the rest of his money. He got the first, last and every laugh in between.
ahlongslide
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Darren Rovell

DRSDFBMTW
halfastros81
AG
No doubt Sumlin is laughing all the way to the bank and our BMA's giving him a dumber than dumb buyout is the root of it however we'd have paid him $20MM + to continue here for the next 4 yrs and most likely continue to produce crappy to mediocre results. If Fisher performs like we hope he will it will be worth it and then some imho.
whatthehey78
AG
Won't take very long and Arizona will be wishing they'd shopped some more.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
jrwoodchuck
chipotle said:

What do you mean last laugh? He didn't do crap here. In 2012 he took an nfl roster, pointed which way the endzone was and swag'd his way into our pockets for more money. Hired/fired a bunch of crap over priced coordinators and got more money. Then took off to arizona with the rest of his money. He got the first, last and every laugh in between.
From the outside looking in it seems a lot of the problem is whoever negotiates your contracts. One way to look at it is Jimbo is $75M richer if he never wins a game. What happened to you produce, you get paid. You don't you get fired and good luck down the road. Build the contract on a nice base salary, incentivize the hell out of it with bonuses, and go on about your business. I understand you want to win and win now but it doesn't usually happen that way. Maybe this time it will. At the least, y'all better hope your BMA's don't get tired of throwing money down the rabbit hole.
Foxo
AG
Reading so many negative comments about Sumlin, our FORMER coach, makes me think a lot less about Texas Aggies and Texas A&M.
BombayAg
Money cannot buy HAPPINESS.
huisachel
Only beating Bama or LSU can do that
Flexbone
jrwoodchuck said:

chipotle said:

From the outside looking in it seems a lot of the problem is whoever negotiates your contracts. One way to look at it is Jimbo is $75M richer if he never wins a game. What happened to you produce, you get paid. You don't you get fired and good luck down the road. Build the contract on a nice base salary, incentivize the hell out of it with bonuses, and go on about your business. I understand you want to win and win now but it doesn't usually happen that way. Maybe this time it will. At the least, y'all better hope your BMA's don't get tired of throwing money down the rabbit hole.

That's a great theory in a fantasy world where other schools you're competing against aren't offering big guarantees too. If you want Jimbo Fisher, you have to go big. Unproven coaches with little experience like Herman are getting 5 years guaranteed. Hiring a guy with a track record like Fisher's is playing a completely different game.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.