Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If we ever lose to Arkansas?

9,606 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by bmeaggie
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We were undefeated (6-0) against Arky with Sumlin. What is going to happen in the zoo if we lose to Arkansas in the next few years...

...with an Aggie head coach for the Hogs....

....and former Aggie coaches on staff for Arky...

?

(Note: Note saying it will happen, just a "what if" scenario.)
Alpha Texan
AG
If we ever lose to Arkansas... we will beat LSU
dixichkn
AG
We will lose our sh**. Just like we do after every loss. But trust me, it won't be because Morris is on the other sideline. That's giving him too much validation. We made the best hire we could and you know it.
bmeaggie
AG
We would be ok.

Much worse has happened right after new regimes taking over post-Slocum.

The worst was probably losing the first game of the season to Sun Belt Conference juggernaut Arkansas State in 2008. That ended a 20 opening home game winning streak for us.

That was the first game for newly hired Sherman and his coaching staff, and they lost the game while dressed in gray night gowns or long pajamas... never saw those coach uniforms again, but I can't get them out of my memories.

I was in the stands for that one... what a nightmare.

gocobra
AG
Lbull said:

If we ever lose to Arkansas... we will beat LSU
FarmersFight95
AG
Let's be honest, we probably deserved to lose a couple of these games that we stole from Arkansas...
bemer
S
SEC West will be the best it has ever been and brutal will be an understatement. Every week will be a back alley brawl.
Pioneer
It's likely we start 2-3 next season with a loss to Arkansas after Bama and Clemson beat us down in the first 4 weeks.
TXAG 05
AG
FarmersFight95 said:

Let's be honest, we probably deserved to lose a couple of these games that we stole from Arkansas...

This. Our recent record against them is pure luck. Most of those games could have easily gone the other way
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
FarmersFight95 said:

Deserved? Which ones?

3 of the 4 were OT victories. Yeah, they were close, but I cannot agree with the word 'deserved'. In such close games, we made at least one more play than the piggies did. Doesn't matter that in a couple of those games they had a > 7 point lead going into the 4th quarter, we made plays on both sides of the ball and they did not. and then in OT we put pressure on them by scoring a TD first, then shutting them down on 4th down. We did not deserve anything. We did not steal any wins. We won those games fair-and-square.
Sumlins Pool Guy
well it's going to happen at some point so just get the popcorn ready
amercer
AG
I'm going to guess we never had a 6 game winning streak against them in the SWC
Aggie
AG
bmeaggie said:

That was the first game for newly hired Sherman and his coaching staff, and they lost the game while dressed in gray night gowns or long pajamas... never saw those coach uniforms again, but I can't get them out of my memories.

We wore those grey pants when Fran was here.. The 2007 Texas game and then again for the Alamo bowl vs Penn State.
Sherman didn't introduce them.
Sherman was the guy that brought back the white helmet, most think it was Sumlin. We wore an all white uniform vs Arkansas at Jerryworld and once in road at OU. Of course back then we didn't have stupid gimmick nicknames for everything so they were not icey whites... Just called " all white"

Eike Mlko
Pioneer said:

It's likely we start 2-3 next season with a loss to Arkansas after Bama and Clemson beat us down in the first 4 weeks.

We'll beat arky and Clemson. Book it
HustlerAggie
Sumlins Pool Guy said:

well it's going to happen at some point so just get the popcorn ready
How do you know?
bmeaggie
AG
Aggie said:

bmeaggie said:

We wore those grey pants when Fran was here.. The 2007 Texas game and then again for the Alamo bowl vs Penn State.
Sherman didn't introduce them.
Sherman was the guy that brought back the white helmet, most think it was Sumlin. We wore an all white uniform vs Arkansas at Jerryworld and once in road at OU. Of course back then we didn't have stupid gimmick nicknames for everything so they were not icey whites... Just called " all white"

Did you see that I was talking about the coaches uniforms; not the players?
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
dixichkn said:

We will lose our sh**. Just like we do after every loss. But trust me, it won't be because Morris is on the other sideline. That's giving him too much validation. We made the best hire we could and you know it.
The flip side is looking for every reason possible to marginalize Morris simply because of the group think on this board.

Morris is a hell of an offensive guy - Arkansas is likely to score points on us, and if they win a game, it's going to be because Morris brought a completely different offensive mindset to Little Rock versus whatever Beilima had there.

I really don't get the seething hate for him on this board, it is just weird to me.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
bmeaggie said:

NVR FRGT
HustlerAggie
Aggiebrewer said:

Jeff Traylor will have the pigs offense rolling.

We'll be lucky to beat the half the time from here on out
It doesn't look like Traylor is the OC for Arky, but he is listed as the "associate" head coach.

]
HoustonAg2014
AG
Ehhh... I mean we had some GREAT comebacks but I would say we should have lost at least one of those games when Skipper the tripper screwed them out of a TD late in the game. I think it was 2014 we were down 28-14 and they scored on a long TD run but it was called back for tripping. The call was correct, but do not remember it actually impacting us making a tackle on the play.

2012, 2013, and 2016 we won those games pretty easily. 2015 we had to convert a 2 point conversion to go to OT and we did.
schmellba99
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Ehhh... I mean we had some GREAT comebacks but I would say we should have lost at least one of those games when Skipper the tripper screwed them out of a TD late in the game. I think it was 2014 we were down 28-14 and they scored on a long TD run but it was called back for tripping. The call was correct, but do not remember it actually impacting us making a tackle on the play.

2012, 2013, and 2016 we won those games pretty easily. 2015 we had to convert a 2 point conversion to go to OT and we did.
It doesn't have to impact the ability to make a tackle on the play.

Bottom line - we scored more than they did and won the games.
HoustonAg2014
AG
If you don't think we should have lost that game then you clearly didn't watch.

I understand it doesn't have to impact the play, but some referees would keep their flag in their pocket if they do not feel the flag had an impact on the play. Should they? Probably not. But could they? Absolutely.
schmellba99
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

I understand it doesn't have to impact the play, but some referees would keep their flag in their pocket if they do not feel the flag had an impact on the play. Should they? Probably not. But could they? Absolutely.
I've watched them all, even the second half breakdowns against them during the Sherman days.

We scored more than they did, we won. I don't think we should have lost several of the games where our teams came out int he second half and collapsed - but we did. It's part of the game, and you can nit pick calls in every game out there if that is what you are looking to do.
Triple-T
AG
It will be Trump's fault.
4L Aggie
AG
......then win in late October and November.
hogfan14
Aggiesincebirth said:

It was the only tripping penalty called all year, but it was the right call and a stupid decision by Skipper.

Quote:

Quote:

Morris is a hell of an offensive guy - Arkansas is likely to score points on us, and if they win a game, it's going to be because Morris brought a completely different offensive mindset to Little Rock versus whatever Beilima had there.
Hopefully he brings it to Fayetteville too.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Aggiesincebirth said:

Again, it's your word usage here that I object to. Could we have lost? Sure. But I don't believe anyone can state that we should have lost that game. The running back who got loose on that long play did not ever score; he was tackled inside the 5, but it was all brought back by a call that was made against Skipper the Tripper (which, by the way, was a legitimate call). All part of the game. If the ref had kept the flag in his pocket, you bet we'd be upset over what very likely would have been a loss (see the non-call on what looked like PI at the end of the Wake game for how we would have reacted). Why would we be upset? Because those are known rules in the game, and we would consider that to be a selective enforcement.

And yeah, I watched every moment of those games against Arkansas. I have long hated the Piggies, dating back to the SWC days. We are currently on a 6-0 run against them, and I don't believe any of those wins are questionable. There were some close games, yes, but when the clock read 00:00 in each of those games, the Aggies had made a few more plays than the Razorbacks.
Eric Forman
AG
If the cost for having a more consistent and successful conference showing is giving up the streak against the hogs, I'm fine with this. They can have next year.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Gonna be fun to watch some of our "fans" try to hide their excitement for Arkansas
Moe 92
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

NVR FRGT
Not that we're doing a look-a-likes thread, but...

FarmersFight95
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

FarmersFight95 said:

Deserved? Which ones?

3 of the 4 were OT victories. Yeah, they were close, but I cannot agree with the word 'deserved'. In such close games, we made at least one more play than the piggies did. Doesn't matter that in a couple of those games they had a > 7 point lead going into the 4th quarter, we made plays on both sides of the ball and they did not. and then in OT we put pressure on them by scoring a TD first, then shutting them down on 4th down. We did not deserve anything. We did not steal any wins. We won those games fair-and-square.

Chill out, dude. My point is that to anybody watching those games, we had lots of things go our way, while at the same time, they did not. Sure, it is as simple as we scored more points, but that doesn't mean that the best team always wins, and sometimes good or bad luck is the difference maker. All I'm saying is that they outplayed us in several games, and we were lucky enough to still win them somehow.
Class of 65
AG
Lifetime we are like 19 games behind Arkansas
HogsSmellGood
Technically that's true. This century A&M is up 6-3. At some point you have to throw out all those games from 50-90 years ago.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Ok fine. But saying we scored more doesn't tell the whole story... Should the Saints have won last night? Yes they should have but a freak play happened and they didn't. Not taking anything away because you are right it's not over till the clock hits zero. It was the correct call and Skipper is very dirty. But you see that flag stay in pocket 95% of the time... Glad we got the call and rightfully so but they had all the MO and we took it after that call. I haven't missed 1 Arky game since the SEC maybe I'm the key ingredient.sadly I only missed one bama game and we won that one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.