Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

Fisher hires renowned strength coach Jerry Schmidt to the A&M staff

January 10, 2018

Jerry Schmidt, who has served 18 years as Oklahoma’s director of sports performance, has been hired as Texas A&M’s head strength & conditioning coach. Schmidt’s addition is the latest move A&M head football coach Jimbo Fisher has made to assemble a staff with championship experience. He’ll be A&M’s third strength & conditioning coach in three years.

Known for disciplined, intense and innovative workouts, Schmidt’s motto is: “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

A native of Harvard, Neb. and graduate of the University of Nebraska, Schmidt has been on three national championship teams in his illustrious career during which he was named Strength Coach of the Year by USA Fitness in 1991. He was on staff for championship seasons at Notre Dame (1988), Florida (1996) and Oklahoma (2000).

He’s also worked with more than 20 NFL first round draft choices and six Heisman Trophy recipients — Notre Dame’s Tim Brown, Oklahoma State’s Barry Sanders, Florida’s Danny Wuerffel and Oklahoma’s Jason White, Sam Bradford and Baker Mayfield.

Known for disciplined, intense and innovative workouts, Schmidt’s motto is: “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.”

Schmidt, 55, started his career in 1987 as an assistant at Notre Dame. He briefly left for Oklahoma State and returned to Notre Dame as strength & conditioning coordinator in 1989.

He joined Steve Spurrier’s staff at Florida in 1995. There, he worked with then-Florida defensive coordinator Bob Stoops. When Stoops was named head coach at Oklahoma in 1999 he brought Schmidt along as his strength & conditioning coach.

Stoops once said of Schmidt: “Jerry instills in our program a conditioning level that allows us to flourish late in games and late in the season. He also helps us build an attitude of toughness and perseverance that is an absolute must in a demanding sport like football.”

A&M desperately needs someone who can help the Aggies flourish late in the season. Since 2013 A&M is 4-11 against Southeastern Conference opponents in November. The addition of Schmidt gives A&M four coaches that have national championship rings.

Fisher led Florida State to the 2013 national title and was the offensive coordinator on LSU’s 2003 national championship team. Running Backs Coach Jay Graham and Tight Ends Coach Tim Brewster both were on Fisher’s staff at Florida State in ’13.

Also, Receivers coach Dameyune Craig coached against Fisher in the 2013 national championship game while at Auburn.

Discussion from...

Fisher hires renowned strength coach Jerry Schmidt to the A&M staff

37,740 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Synopsis
Jbob04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great hire! Definitely has his work cut out for him here.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Hallelujah! Jimbo is building a monster in College Station.
Chesapeake Ag
I like this quote from Bob Stoops:

Quote:

He also helps us build an attitude of toughness and perseverance that is an absolute must in a demanding sport like football.
RetiredpostalMarine
JMR
S
At one time(I think including the approximate time Schmidt would have been at neb as a student) Nebraska's S&C prog was the standard nationally

I have to assume he was influenced by those who implemented that program during his formative training
p8aggie
AG
BigOil said:

This staff is oozing professionalism and the skins to back it up... don't worry, we'll figure out how to screw it up.
The definition of BAS
ironmanag
AG
BigOil said:

This staff is oozing professionalism and the skins to back it up... don't worry, we'll figure out how to screw it up.
What is the purpose of a post like this?

Look at me I'm a a-hole and my life sucks so I want everyone's life to suck?
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Picadillo
A strength coach from Okinawa. Never thought I'd see it. Welcome Coach!
TCSD84
He looks like a tough sob. No more softies at a&m. Culture change...bam!
StickTogetherAgs
Amazing Moves
I bet he doesn't like rap music.
quiz
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Grandpa, is that you?
ffco
Amazing Moves said:

Never underestimate the adaptability of a champion.
Meximan
ffco said:

Amazing Moves said:

Never underestimate the adaptability of a champion.

747Ag
AG
Amazing Moves said:

Maybe not any of this new crap... But perhaps he is a Kool Moe D fan.

BaileyAg
AG
Good hire
MIKEGROVES
Any coach is only as good as his staff. It looks like Jimbo is serious about being an Aggie.
Synopsis
I think A&M got (ANOTHER) great hire - credit Fisher again.

I've heard a few on here complain about him being in the Big XII and they aren't as physical as the SEC. The difference between the two conferences isn't as much about strength and conditioning as it is about style of play. (Sadly) the Big XII plays a more wide open offensive scheme and doesn't focus much (if AT ALL) on defense these days.

I don't think that reflects on the S&C Coach very much, if at all. OU has some top performers as far as being in shape to play the game.

Besides, he looks like one tough hombre.

Even being a Sooner fan, I hope the Aggies come out on fire this next season and kick some serious ass in the SEC and abroad.

And I hope that OU finds a decent replacement, he will be missed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.