Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Here is what I don't get about Brent Z

7,218 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jack Cheese
AGAZ03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Your job is to cover a team from a school you are tied to.

With this should come some bias to want the team to do well.

I mean it's better to cover a winning team than a losing team.

So you would think that he would want A&M to win over LSU on Saturday.

So why in the hell would he throw that trash out there to distract the entire team and take all motivation away?

I mean there is nothing wrong with speculating about odds and in all likelyhood.

But his article states it as fact.

So he in turn changes the attitude of the team he is covering in a negative manner.

I get that being the first journalist to report big news makes you look good. But other news programs that are biased against us and other schools who recruit against us are using this as bait.

So again why in the hell would he make A&M look bad?

I mean it is his job to cover us.

Did he not think about the consequences?
Ian Neff
AG

The fact that you corrected that cracks me up.
Blue Star for you!
Bunk Moreland
Basically everything you said is incorrect. So congrats on that.
55-99
AG
His job is to cover Texas A&M University Athletics as a reporter and journalist first. Any bias that he may have towards or against us should come second. I don't buy the statement that it would be better for him to cover a winning team. As for getting the scoop, that is what a good journalist does. This is it national security; so who cares?
AGAZ03
AG
I can agree with that in principle.

I guess Im just used to the Texas homers at each city newspaper.

I figured he would be an A&M homer but he has proven to be a journalist first.
Lungblood
He's a prostitute. He's not an Aggie. He took a course.
DMCouser06
We live in a time when burning people for the sake of your own career is perfectly fine. He's just doing his job after all...

And let us be clear here...was ANYBODY surprised by this?

Hopefully this is the last thread concerning this man.

Mr. Peterman
Sorry, he is a member of the media.

Members of the media will ***** themselves out for anything leading to a "scoop", whether they are right or wrong.

Bobby Knight was right when he told members of the media they had "chose a profession one or two steps above prostitution."
95_Aggie
AG
Holding up Bobby Knight as some kind of moral leader.
MetoliusAg
Brent didn't go to the AAS School of Homer Journalism at Austin.
rbcs_2
AG
His source told him the Sumlin news on the record. This stuff got out because people associated with the university wanted it out.
RogerTheShrubber
And, BTW, he made A&M look REALLY bad!!! Just saying
Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
Secolobo
AG
Too many posts and responses about this already...
bigfoot10s
AG
What ties does he have other than living in BCS?
aggiepublius
AG
RogerTheShrubber said:

And, BTW, he someone sat A&M with Brent's number and clout made A&M look REALLY bad!!! Just saying
FIFY

It is Brent's job to report stuff when some village idiot opens his mouth on the record.
rainbow_aggie
Expose it all I say.

Shooz in Katy
AG
Readership is mostly NOT Aggie fans. His job is to sell clicks. So, you get what we had here yesterday, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it!

I don't like it anymore than you do...
Federale01
AG
rbcs_2 said:

His source told him the Sumlin news on the record. This stuff got out because people associated with the university wanted it out.
Hmm, I seem to remember something about a guy who didn't like Sumlin. Wasn't he a regent or something? Wouldn't it be weird if that guy lived in Houston. Nah, probably just a coincidence.

I hate when individuals put their interest ahead of the university they supposedly love. The guys who leaked this to Brent need to be checked. But they have the money so they won't be.
agdaddy04
AG
bigfoot10s said:

What ties does he have other than living in BCS?

http://www.kbtx.com/content/bios/163443586.html

Meximan
Any journalist who doctors their stories to display bias is no longer a journalist and is, in fact, a fraud. A true journalist is completely impartial to all situations and biases.

A&M does not need a Ketch.
jml2621
Reporters report. They're not pimps or prostitutes for an organization, including a University and its Athletic Program. Their role is not to spew out propaganda.

Brent Z got a story leaked by a BOR member or another BMA. He verified it with another source. BZ then wrote and published. He's on a beat and did his job. No one is forced to read it.

Because of conflict of interest beat writers should ideally not be Ags nor rival t.u., tceh, or Baylol grads.

In contrast "homer" programs, sites, and entertainment personalities like Louie B, Looch can certainly be local and Ags. They have a special place and role in the multimedia.
Jack Cheese
AG
Many of you on this thread are arguing against the profession of journalism itself. Brent did nothing unethical, nor is he a "prostitute" for reporting what he was told on the record. That's literally his job, and the chronicle would have cause to FIRE HIM if he sat on this story.
jml2621
Schu2000 said:

Readership is mostly NOT Aggie fans. His job is to sell clicks. So, you get what we had here yesterday, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it!

I don't like it anymore than you do...

Some Ags you just can't reach. If the Chronicle purported only homers who would write 24/7 sunshine propaganda then what we have here...is failure to communicate.

CrazyDayDuck
Jack Cheese said:

Many of you on this thread are arguing against the profession of journalism itself.

No, we are arguing against a punk reporter making a d**k move after being given inside info from another punk.
Mr Ed
Meximan said:

Any journalist who doctors their stories to display bias is no longer a journalist and is, in fact, a fraud. A true journalist is completely impartial to all situations and biases.

A&M does not need a Ketch.

We have looch.
Artimus Gordon
Brent is just a latter day Al carter and Jim Gallagher before him (both teasips). Don't expect any favorable press out of the print media. Just let it roll off your back and move on.
fredfredunderscorefred
I think the team plays better with the news. Plays for "the coach". With that presumption, he did exactly what you would think....
Ambres
AG
Brent did his job. I blame the person who went on record and provided Brent his source. The person was irresponsible. What they did is force the decision out of the BoR and the AD hand and destroy the timing of the decision.

The ideal situation was to fire him after their "To-be" coach was ready to be announce. The situation should have been handle after the season during the recruiting dead period.

If I was told that I was being fired on Saturday.. my work efficiency goes down. Well this should be a fun Saturday.

Hope they got a big name coach lined up. We pretty much burn this year recruiting class. Which can put us back 2 years in depth. You know the one thing you need in the SEC to be successful.

BTW: as of this morning Coach Sumlin is still the head coach of Texas A&M football so he hasn't been fire yet.
Gyles Marrett
rbcs_2 said:

Which was disgusting and pathetic to do before you tell sumlin himself...unless Sumlin is full of it that he hadn't been told.
HardRockAg
AG
People do realize he once played for the Aggies, right? Now it is his full time job to cover them regardless of how good or bad they are. I would bet that his job would be on the line as much as KDS was if he had not broke the information. Besides, it wasn't like it was a surprise KDS was going to be out. 99% of college football fans had already assumed as much.

I hope the best for KDS. I hope he does well except if he plays us. But it is time for a change. He knows the game. He knows how this works. And he has said as much too.
TXAG 05
AG
BZ didn't report anything that everyone didn't already know. Anybody that was surprised by that article hadn't been paying attention to this season
aggiepublius
AG
Are you saying Z played for A&M? I think you have confused for someone else.
bam02
AG
Yeah all of a sudden they need an excuse to lose to LSU.
biobioprof
rainbow_aggie said:

Expose it all I say.

Is that what he's doing here to Cessna?

Class of 65
AG
Brent is a graduate of Sam Houston.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.