Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Who hires Sumlin?

11,567 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by mjfrog
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slicer97 said:

CrottyKid said:

Agnzona said:

I don't see that as a fit at all.

Lineman are easy to come by.
He gives a boost in skill position recruiting.
There is a lot of oversight in place and an existing athletic department structure.
Big 10 defenses.
Fans loyal to a fault.

I see it as a good spot for him.

ASU would be a better fit. His BDF/CUSA background is better suited to conferences with wide open offenses and iffy defenses. I think he would do really well at most any school in the Pac12. Well, maybe not Oregon St, because who ever does?
Like Stanford?
jenks
AG
ASU
GoodOldAgs
Who cares?
Kramer
AG
Does his LLC have a deal with Adidas?
Ferg
Washington State if the Pirate gets a bigger job.
Muy
AG
p8aggie said:

I watched it from home and remember my jaw hitting the floor in disbelief that it was going to end that way.

I was white-knuckle driving about 10-15mph and every town we got to had no vacancies. Vividly remember saying on the way to the game, "they are expecting an ice storm, we should book a room since we may have a tough time driving".

Father in law shut me down, but I love him so zipped my lips.
Fireman
AG
Arkansas wants him pretty bad. Could see him getting close to $5MM per year from the Razorbacks.
woodyhayes
Lamar $120K/yr. More his speed.
Threadbare
woodyhayes said:

Lamar $120K/yr. More his speed.
He might not have given us what we hoped for, but he's the 26th winningest active Div 1 coach. Top 25% (at least), in other words...
jjcummings
AG
Demon 8 said:

It really depends on how well people do their research. Good programs aren't going to pay good money for a coach that was overpaid to:

- Lose meaningful conference games at home
- Stand on the sideline while exhibiting little emotion
- Talk to few people during the game
- Spend more time chewing gum and clapping than he does making decisions
- Made bad coaching hires
- Consistently coached very conservatively
- Rarely developed players into solid upperclassmen
- Exhibited arrogance with the media

You know those little areas on job applications that say "do you mind if we contact your previous employer?" How should that conversation go?
Great points! Sumlin showed very little if no competence at actually coaching up or developing his players. Neither did he show acumen at being able to make in game adjustments on offense or defensive side of the ball. . I understand he is not a play caller but if you are going to delegate those duties as head coach you can't just pretend to coach while walking up and down sideline while smacking/chewing bubble gum and talking into a head set without looking foolish. his demeanor and underwhelming mediocre record in conference play just come across as him not really caring or giving a darn about the team's performance for the past 4 years. Too many instances of mental errors, sloppiness, and lack of concentration shown by players during games that is a direct reflection of coaching. I am sure supporters say well..his players love him and he is a cool coach that recruits well but that is not what this is about. rap music in practice is another thing all together. that kind of promotes a laissez faire mentality. I think one of his downfalls is he tries to be too friendly or cool with players. In order to run a successful program you have to instill discipline, accountability and a seriousness to not neglect detail while at the same time cultivating an environment that promotes passion for the game, team chemistry, camaraderie and excellence.
Love Gun
Yep. Ultimately, his ego is what sealed his fate. I remember Sherman was the same way when people questioned him wanting to call plays all the time (which were still better than Mazzone's). Sumlin just checked out whenever he got that crazy contract in 2013. Even Spurrier said, "Welp, he's a good negotiator"
mjfrog
AG
Throwing my wild-arse guess at Ariz. St., or Iowa St. after coaching shuffles. Doubt he goes the ESPN studio route. His recruiting base in E TX, but history at Wyoming/Purdue. I think he goes regional based on coaching availability.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.