Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Which assistants do we want to stay?

4,945 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Token
FishingAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Irish_Man said:

None

If you tell any candidate for the job you have to keep some guys from sumlins staff, no one will want to come here.

^^^^^^^you sir know things
runontexas
AG
Retain the staff
DeezV1
AG
Chief and anyone he wants!
Canvasback
AG
It does not matter who you want to stay.
Ag8086
AG
Some assistants might need to stay for recruiting reasons or our class may implode.
bbigfish
Ya do t have a voice in this decision
AggieTom80
AG
Assistants don't stay. Any coach worthy of the 8 figure contract he's going to get will want to bring/hire his guys.
Lungblood
Send them all packin
Oknows
AG
Fisher, Chavis and Cooper have all worked together at some point, correct?
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I would like to retain, Jim Turner, Chief, David Turner, Terry Price, Jeff Banks and Ron Cooper. Jim Turner is having trouble because he's got Mazzone's scheme to work with. I doubt Jimbo would retain 6 coaches though. That's majority of the coaching staff and I doubt a new coach would ever retain 6 main staff members from the previous regime.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Zero assistants need to stay.

New coach, new blood.
agent209
AG
Whoever the head coach wants but I'd keep Banks, Price and maybe Chavis.
Just Tired
BallHittinBoy said:

Completely up to the new HC. No restrictions, just win baby!
i agree but i would immediately question his judgment if he wanted to retain mazzone, moorehead or mckinney.
Lungblood
JT said:

BallHittinBoy said:

Completely up to the new HC. No restrictions, just win baby!
i agree but i would immediately question his judgment if he wanted to retain mazzone, moorehead or mckinney.

Those guys will not be coaching anywhere significant next year.
94chem
Chief, Jim Turner.

Jim Turner's struggles tell you all you need to know about Sumlin's o-line recruiting and prior coaching. Turner can coach o-line...period.
Ags4DaWin
I think it should be up to the new hire. I would LIKE him to keep chief Or at least consider the prospect. The defense has improved vastly and is on the road to being a good unit again. He has finally got a crop of up and coming LB's and a formidable defensive line and a young secondary that will be a force next year and the year after. I think it would be a shame to cut him off unless the incoming coach has a proven DC he is bringing with hi. Or the HC is a defensive minded HC.
general ulysses
AG
None
Scotty Appleton
For those bagging on Turner and the OL, have you not watched FSU's OL over the past couple of years?
Slicer97
AG
CJS4715 said:

Guys, the defense has improved, but Chief was part of the meltdown in Pasadena too.

Somewhat true. There were some schematic issues, but there were also players in position to make plays that just flat didn't. DCS played that Hail Mary perfectly with the minor exception of letting the INT go right through his hands.

Our defensive scheme is sound. It's mostly a lapse in player execution here and there that gives up a big play. Even happens to Bama every now and again.
Slicer97
AG
And I'd love to see what Turner can do with a better offensive scheme and time to recruit the right guys to run it.

Christensen may be Sumlin's Dino Babers.
TxAg76
AG
Slicer97 said:

CJS4715 said:

Guys, the defense has improved, but Chief was part of the meltdown in Pasadena too.

Somewhat true. There were some schematic issues, but there were also players in position to make plays that just flat didn't. DCS played that Hail Mary perfectly with the minor exception of letting the INT go right through his hands.

Our defensive scheme is sound. It's mostly a lapse in player execution here and there that gives up a big play. Even happens to Bama every now and again.

And a lot of that is due to youth.
Let's get these LBs and DBs some experience and then revisit this.
Oh wait, we're blowing it all up, nevermind
Slicer97
AG
TxAg76 said:

Slicer97 said:

CJS4715 said:

And a lot of that is due to youth.
Let's get these LBs and DBs some experience and then revisit this.
Oh wait, we're blowing it all up, nevermind

We don't know that yet. Jimbo may retain some guys from this staff. Or he might not. We don't know yet.
dannyag07
AG
There's no pleasing y'all with anyone. Saban could be an assistant and you would want him fired.

Jim Turner is one of the best OL couches there are. There have been several flaws in Sumlin's recruits... OL being one of them. This is not JT's fault... he us working with what he is given.
Coward Jimbo
AG
Leave it all up to Fisher.

I like Hocke and Chavis, that's it.
Token
AG
keep banks. fire the rest ASAP
Token
AG
dannyag07 said:

There's no pleasing y'all with anyone. Saban could be an assistant and you would want him fired.

Jim Turner is one of the best OL couches there are. There have been several flaws in Sumlin's recruits... OL being one of them. This is not JT's fault... he us working with what he is given.
jim turner sucks
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.