Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The difference between $1 mil per year and $5 mil per year...

3,035 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
maroonthrunthru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
... is$4 mil per year...

Seriously, most D1 coaches make at least a mil per season...
That's nice cabbage... You can retire after 4-5 years of making that.,.

However, $5 mil per year (4-5 years running) is life altering money for your entire family...

I know the market requires it, however I always worry about creating complacency in a HC once he gets that contract...

It's human nature... Ask the Yankees or Dodgers...hard to buy a guaranteed championship...

Rambling comments, I know...

cr0wbar
Dengus
AG
Is this the worst post in TA history?

Thanks for the insight man.
Splitag
AG
And the top 100 CEOs in the US average over $17,000,000 annually. You know what keeps them driven? Winning. Success. Legacy. Pride. These coaches aren't little league wonders, who made their name over night. They have worked their whole life to attain recognition at the highest level, and to prove that they compete with the best. They are the face of very profitable sports organizations. You don't get into D-1 college football coaching to punch your $5 million ticket and then just chill. That is why a lot of these guys coach into their 70s. Its their whole life. It is all they know.
bert harbinson
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

... is$4 mil per year...

EOT
Stinky T
AG
Math major?
Whaler
AG
Well, there's obviously truth to those statements.

Sumlin going to an Astro game during the off week before we play Mississippi State? Do you think a coach that wasn't financially set for life would be doing that? I don't. This was a critical year for Sumlin, the State game was a critical game, yet he has time to go see the Astros? If he wasn't financially set for life, he probably would've used that time to watch game film....
BMX Bandit
Dengus said:

Is this the worst post in TA history?

Thanks for the insight man.

It's not nearly as bad as the guy mad Sumlin went to a baseball game.
texancanuck11
Be honest now, did you use a calculator?
aggie_accountant
AG
Follow-up question for the original poster. What is the difference between $1M per year and $7M per year?
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it." -John Wooden
Agsuffering@bulaw
So your idea is to hire prospect coaches on the cheap and refuse to pay them what they are worth once they make it?

I see 2 big problems:

1. The quality of coach we would get for $1-2 mil would be low. Maybe 25% to 33% would be good.

2. Recruiting would be difficult. IF the coach succeeds, he is on to another job that pays better. IF he fails, he gets fired, either way, he will not be there your junior or senior year.

It is an interesting idea, but I dont think it works. College programs must be able to recruit.
Hamburger Dan
This guy knows
MSL Ag
AG
So 5-1=4. Got it. Thanks OP!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ian Neff
AG
Whaler said:

Sumlin going to an Astro game during the off week before we play Mississippi State? Do you think a coach that wasn't financially set for life would be doing that? I don't. This was a critical year for Sumlin, the State game was a critical game, yet he has time to go see the Astros? If he wasn't financially set for life, he probably would've used that time to watch game film....

He did that?
SunrayAg
AG
Whaler said:

Nope, actually this was the worst post in TexAgs history.
livershot93
AG
maroonthrunthru said:

Rambling comments, I know...

Threadbare
Splitag said:

And the top 100 CEOs in the US average over $17,000,000 annually. You know what keeps them driven? Winning. Success. Legacy. Pride. These coaches aren't little league wonders, who made their name over night. They have worked their whole life to attain recognition at the highest level, and to prove that they compete with the best. They are the face of very profitable sports organizations. You don't get into D-1 college football coaching to punch your $5 million ticket and then just chill. That is why a lot of these guys coach into their 70s. Its their whole life. It is all they know.
Until they lose their edge and big money can help you do that.

Are there coaches making good money who are essentially "retired in place"? Smart money says yes. I'll bet we could name a few. The shelf life might not be as long as for some other professions once that mind set takes over, but you can still find them.
Threadbare
Whaler said:

I'll bet he spent time eating things that weren't necessary for survival, too...
Deputy Travis Junior
4 million!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.