Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Our athletic director made a big mistake...

7,306 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HoustonAg2014
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so far Woodward has handled everything okay
Dobre casy
AG
OP- do you think Tennessee and Florida are pursuing the same candidates we are?
RGLAG85
AG
QCAg93 said:

I like Sumlin, but at nearly 5 million a year how can one really feel pressure. If I was the only one in my family working and was paid 50,000 a year or even less perhaps and told I had to perform or else. To me that is pressure. Albeit it would never happen but with his talent most of the TexAgs posters on here would probably almost have the same record as Sumlin. 5 million a year. Let that sink in a moment.
"Pressure is playing for $10 when you don't have a dime in your pocket." Lee Trevino
bbigfish
Sumlin did not "regress" this year. He was poor the last year, the year before that, and the year before that.....

Poor coaching, staff management, and recruiting funnel do not take place in ONE YEAR. This is a talent that is learned.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Calling Sumlin out was aggressive. But I think it was appropriate for the situation.

A lot of us were ready to fire Sumlin after last season. But, a few influential bigs would not allow it. Woodward knew he had a significant group of unhappy fans. So it was his way of promising us that if Sumlin did not step it up, change would happen.

Yes, it probably did put more pressure. But at the same time, Sumlin's teams had collapsed the previous 3 seasons. It was time for Sumlin to put up. And he reverted back to his bad habits. He dug in his feet and forced a true fish QB onto the field. He passed on Jarrett Stidham, who just saved Malzahn's job last week.

Again. the context is key. In a lot of situations, that would not have been smart.
AnalogyAg
i have no idea- just like 5 or 10 years ago i couldnt name you swinney or fisher or petersen etc...

do you REALLY think there are only 4 or 5 coaches out there that could do a great job at A&M?
FishingAggie
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Calling Sumlin out was aggressive. But I think it was appropriate for the situation.

A lot of us were ready to fire Sumlin after last season. But, a few influential bigs would not allow it. Woodward knew he had a significant group of unhappy fans. So it was his way of promising us that if Sumlin did not step it up, change would happen.

Yes, it probably did put more pressure. But at the same time, Sumlin's teams had collapsed the previous 3 seasons. It was time for Sumlin to put up. And he reverted back to his bad habits. He dug in his feet and forced a true fish QB onto the field. He passed on Jarrett Stidham, who just saved Malzahn's job last week.

Again. the context is key. In a lot of situations, that would not have been smart.

The stidham miss would have saved kds as well.
Nail in the coffin.

I'll never understand that move. Trevor was the same idea.
CatmanBoo
headshrinker said:

Aero95 said:

And how do you know UF and UT aren't privately cursing that we might be able to get the best coach available for our likely opening? Any coach worth millions will likely be patient and evaluate the entire landscape and not jump at the first opening just because a coach was fired before the end of the season.
They have a month's head start on us. Regarding other metrics: money wise, we compete at least equally; national championships-6 for Tennessee and 3 for Florida.
...and we have 3 Natty's, so what... if ND can count all their then we can too, i'm sick of this modern era crap.
HoustonAg2014
AG
So much headshrinking going on with your post.

You really think Woodward is behind the 8 ball on this? The guy who worked with Jimbo, hired Petersen to Boisie then convinced him to go to Washington? Do you not think there was a strategic move being made? Sumlin knew he needed to win.

If you didn't walk out of the Rose Bowl feeling like your ex just hooked up with your best friend then kicked you in the balls, you don't know how bad that loss felt to many Aggies. Connect the dots and use common sense.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.