Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin's playing chess...

6,461 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by halfastros81
Threadbare
How long do you want to ignore this user?
... and you guys are playing.... something else.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/11/14/kevin-sumlins-approach-freshmen-will-help-texas-am-long-term-whether

(This should go well...)
Slicer97
AG
Actually, he's playing his way out of employment.
William Larue Weller
AG
No, I believe the game you are looking for is called "tic-tac-toe." And for some reason, he always starts in a corner.
chipotle
44-10
FriscoKid
AG
That's great, but everyone else on the team is playing football.
biobioprof
FriscoKid said:

That's great, but everyone else on the team is playing football.
Surprised this took 4 replies.

Also, the whole "playing chess" thing is a lot less impressive now that inexpensive computers are competitive or better with top players.
MetoliusAg
I'm not giving any clicks to that birdcage liner. Post the relevant excerpt.
Phoenix1
...during practice while the DJ plays outside and players take turns tossing the pimp stick.
FriscoKid
AG
etcetera said:

I'm not giving any clicks to that birdcage liner. Post the relevant excerpt.
ground chuck is $2.99 a lb.

TheWoodsAg
AG
Sumlin is playing I'm 1-8 against the SEC West at home since JFF left......
Threadbare
biobioprof said:

Also, the whole "playing chess" thing is a lot less impressive now that inexpensive computers are competitive or better with top players.
Huh???
njohn87
AG
TheWoodsAg said:

Why is home record relevant vs. overall record?
TheWoodsAg
AG
Because Aggies like to see our team win at Kyle Field?
Mythotbetterthanyours
Chess had a timer

He's definitely not playing that
85AustinAg
AG
Because you'd like to think we'd have a Home field advantage. You know Home of 12th man and all. As a season ticket holder - it's a long drive home.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
njohn87 said:

TheWoodsAg said:

Why is home record relevant vs. overall record?

Because if the home record was where it's supposed to be, we would be playing for championships not 8-5.
Agvet12
AG
Threadbare said:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/11/14/kevin-sumlins-approach-freshmen-will-help-texas-am-long-term-whether

(This should go well...)

If he's playing chess, then it's against himself and he's losing.
swc93
AG
He could be playing Chess; that isn't the issue; the issue is he isn't winning at it.
biobioprof
Threadbare said:

biobioprof said:

Huh???
Deep blue was 20 years ago.

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/24/499162905/20-years-later-humans-still-no-match-for-computers-on-the-chessboard

Quote:

"The world champion Magnus Carlsen won't even play his computer," Soltis says. "He uses it to train, to recommend moves for future competition. But he won't play it, because he just loses all the time and there's nothing more depressing than losing without even being in the game."

Magnus Carlsen, who's Norwegian, defends his title against Sergey Karjakin of Russia, in November. Carlsen is 25. Karjakin, 26.

They have both arrived at the highest ranks of the game in an era when a $100 chess computer can easily dispose of them both.
1876er
AG
Slicer97 said:

Is it considered unemployment if you get a 10MM check to leave? I'd call that retirement.
Moe 92
AG
1876er said:

Slicer97 said:

Is it considered unemployment if you get a 10MM check to leave? I'd call that retirement.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Summary of the article:

-In 2016, Sumlin had to bring in transfers b/c his recruits either sucked or had discipline problems

-Rather than bring in transfers for 2017, Sumlin brought in a bunch of HS recruits and played them right away

-Sumlin believed the HS recruits were just that good

-Alot of those transfers got drafted

-The lack of experience has shown

-We might suck wang this year, but we should be better for it down the road

-The writer implies that it is unfair to fire Sumlin since he is building the future

I say the hell with that. Sumlin's job is to win.
BQ_90
AG
maybe sumlin shouldn't have been playing with himself back in those recruiting classes after JFF. That's why he's playing fish right now
Tosul
AG
He starts majority underclassman every year because they are better coming out of high school than they are after being developed by Sumlin. We DO NOT DEVELOP players. He has to start freshman every year because they are better than all the upperclassman that have been "in the system and developed" by Sumlin
Decay
AG
Also if this is part of his amazingly selfless A&M-First approach... Why was last year a "make or break, playoff-bound JUCO heavy" approach? Did he not care about the future 500 days ago?
Threadbare
biobioprof said:

Threadbare said:

biobioprof said:

Huh???

https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/24/499162905/20-years-later-humans-still-no-match-for-computers-on-the-chessboard

Quote:

"The world champion Magnus Carlsen won't even play his computer," Soltis says. "He uses it to train, to recommend moves for future competition. But he won't play it, because he just loses all the time and there's nothing more depressing than losing without even being in the game."

Magnus Carlsen, who's Norwegian, defends his title against Sergey Karjakin of Russia, in November. Carlsen is 25. Karjakin, 26.

They have both arrived at the highest ranks of the game in an era when a $100 chess computer can easily dispose of them both.

Yeah, everybody is aware of chess-playing computers. When Kasparov years ago claimed that he thought a computer would never beat the best human chess players, I just laughed. It's only a matter of the number of calculations. At some point, there will be a computer that essentially solves chess (white to mate in 543 moves or something like that).

I'm just bewildered by the idea that somehow it makes great chess players less impressive...
Showstopper
AG
biobioprof said:

Threadbare said:

biobioprof said:

Huh???

Quote:

If I buy a $100 computer to coach football, can I have the other $4,999,900 a year?

Hell, I'll even buy a $2,000 computer. And I'll even get it a $120/year Spotify account so it can play rap music during practice, too. You guys just send me a check for $4,997,880 (within 60 days please).
Snap E Tom
Decay said:

Also if this is part of his amazingly selfless A&M-First approach... Why was last year a "make or break, playoff-bound JUCO heavy" approach? Did he not care about the future 500 days ago?
My thoughts exactly. This team might be in good shape in the future, and Sumlin might do well here or elsewhere in the future, but the guy has spent the last 6 years learning on the job. Yes, he's ran into problems and then ran around fixing them. However, eff that. You're paid $5 mil. You're paid to bring in results for that much, not be paid to learn.
turfman80
AG
So there is such a thing as -3D chess?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
hph6203
AG
DallasAg91 said:

No, I believe the game you are looking for is called "tic-tac-toe." And for some reason, he always starts in a corner.

Is this joke going over my head or do you really not know that starting in a corner results in a tie at worst (if your opponent isn't a total idiot) or a win....?
TangoMike
Threadbare said:

(This should go well...)

In 5+ years, Sumlin has beaten bad teams and lost to good teams. If that's chess, maybe he should switch to something easier
SABUILDERAG
Tosul said:

He starts majority underclassman every year because they are better coming out of high school than they are after being developed by Sumlin. We DO NOT DEVELOP players. He has to start freshman every year because they are better than all the upperclassman that have been "in the system and developed" by Sumlin
I cant like this post more than once, but I would if I could. This is the bottom line.
halfastros81
AG
I have the solution, Cut his pay by about $4.7 MM per yr and reassign him As the head chess team coach because he will never have the football team consistently competitive in the SECW. How many years does it take for people to realize this?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.