Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

If A&M is a TOP Job...

7,713 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AnalogyAg
theeyetest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why are our last 3 hires:

Fran
Sherman
Sumlin

Do those last three hires scream "Elite" to you? I just don't get the thought process of our BMA's. Before you call me a sip troll, think again. I'm just a realist.

Flame away.
aggiedent
AG
Fran was a splash hire. We got him away from Alabama.
cevans_40
AG
gigemtrev said:

Fran
Sherman
Sumlin

Do those last three hires scream "Elite" to you? I just don't get the thought process of our BMA's. Before you call me a sip troll, think again. I'm just a realist.

Flame away.

Fran and Sumlin were both big name hires at the time. Sherman was a safe play and we had no appeal as a program in the Big 12 and coming off of what Fran had done to us.
bigcat22
AG
Fran was a fairly big name at the time, and was even rumored to be the USC coach before they hired Carroll.

I agree that Sherman and Sumlin were very meh hires.
Hamburger Dan
That was before Buzbee got a tank. New Army has armor.
HoustonAg2106
AG
aggiedent said:

bigcat22 said:

Fran was a fairly big name at the time, and was even rumored to be the USC coach before they hired Carroll.

Fran left Alabama because of sanctions including bowl bans and scholarship reductions, it wasn't that difficult or big of a deal to get him looking back on it
theeyetest
I remember being SO pissed that we hired Sumlin after watching Houston get killed by the Fedora coached Southern Miss team in the C-USA Championship game. I knew he wasn't the one after watching that one game.
Ag CPA
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

aggiedent said:

bigcat22 said:

Fran left Alabama because of sanctions including bowl bans and scholarship reductions, it wasn't that difficult or big of a deal to get him looking back on it
But it was huge at the time, nobody seemed to believe it would happen. It was radio gold listening to Finebaum cry while it was going down.
Arthur Stilwell
gigemtrev said:

I remember being SO pissed that we hired Sumlin after watching Houston get killed by the Fedora coached Southern Miss team in the C-USA Championship game. I knew he wasn't the one after watching that one game.
I bet you felt differently about Sumlin after 2012, though.
Mythotbetterthanyours
The people hiring are not top people maybe?

Think everyone knew Sumlin might not work out. We did it anyway.
texancanuck11
Clearly schools never get better or worse. They just stay the same forever and ever.

Don't be obtuse
MetoliusAg
Kevin Sumlin was as hot a coaching candidate name for P5 openings in 2011 as Tom Herman was in 2016 and Scott Frost is in 2017.

Did you see Tom Herman get *****-slapped by Navy, SMU, and Memphis last year?

Were you impressed by UCF's performance vs. SMU two weeks ago, when the UCF team looked poorly coached and undisciplined?

ironmanag
AG
Revisionist history is fun.

Fran was a huge get. The whole country laughed when we said we landed him. Then when we did they declared A&M was going to win the MNC.

Sherman was a meh.

Sumlin was a huge name. He was going to land at a power five job and we beat out several suitors.

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
GumboMaverick
Simple... we were not in the SEC at the time of those hires.

Best conference, A Top state to recruit in... best stadium around
Large network of support

Can be the top program in Texas. Can compete with Alabama if done right.
FtLauderdaleAg91
AG
OP, here's a bit of perspective for you:

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/columns/maisel_ivan/1472033.html

Franny was a BIG DEAL at the time.
We didn't quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
Arthur Stilwell
Even the blue bloods have made hires that weren't considered "elite".

For every Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, you get guys like Mike Shula, Charlie Strong and Ron Zook.
Squadron7
AG
Mythotbetterthanyours said:

The people hiring are not top people maybe?

Think everyone knew Sumlin might not work out. We did it anyway.

And everyone who says that knows going in that no matter who gets hired they will be right 95% of the time.
zooguy96
A&M is maybe a top 25 job. Not a top 10 job. We just think we are. We should be based off our resources. But, we aren't.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
USC
Florida
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Auburn
Michigan
Texas

Are all bigger jobs than Texas A&M. What do they have in common? They've won something in the last 10-15 years. Current recruits weren't born the last time Texas A&M was relavent on the national scene on a consistent basis. Hell, many of our fans weren't either (or they were kids).
texancanuck11
Bob15 said:

A&M is maybe a top 25 job. Not a top 10 job. We just think we are. We should be based off our resources. But, we aren't.

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
USC
Florida
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Auburn
Michigan
Texas

Are all bigger jobs than Texas A&M. What do they have in common? They've won something in the last 10-15 years. Current recruits weren't born the last time Texas A&M was relavent on the national scene on a consistent basis. Hell, many of our fans weren't either (or they were kids).
Well that just isn't true. We've been ranked 5 of the last 6 years. We hit #4 last year. We've hosted college gameday the last few years. We have a ton of guys in the NFL who played for us.

A coach would go to A&M because we have the recipe to be a winning program: money, access to recruits, conference, etc. We just haven't had the right chef. That's the pitch that Woodward has to give potential coaches.
Lone Stranger
You can even go back and think about A&M setting the college football scene on its head by poaching Jackie away from Pitt for $1 million which at the time was seen as "nuts".

Jackie had the fire for the money he was paid. It might be argued after Franchione we are a destination that pays well and allows you to be fat and happy until you get bought out (big time).
aggiedent
AG
Hi, I'm Bob, and I like to push people's buttons by being a negative Nancy. Look at me. Look at me!!
HoustonAg2106
AG
crosswalk said:

Even the blue bloods have made hires that weren't considered "elite".

For every Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, you get guys like Mike Shula, Charlie Strong and Ron Zook.

Very good point

Don't forget Charlie Weis!
zooguy96
aggiedent said:

Hi, I'm Bob, and I like to push people's buttons by being a negative Nancy. Look at me. Look at me!!

If you take off your maroon colored glasses, this is how Texas A&M is seen nationally. I'm not saying we don't have all of the resources or that we cannot be a top 10 program. All I'm saying is that we currently are not a top 10 program. We can change that by hiring the correct coach. We have everything else in place.

Results matter. And we've had mediocre results the past 15-20 years.
Geriatric Punk
AG
texancanuck11 said:

Clearly schools never get better or worse. They just stay the same forever and ever.

Don't be obtuse
Is it deliberate?
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Ag CPA said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

aggiedent said:

bigcat22 said:

But it was huge at the time, nobody seemed to believe it would happen. It was radio gold listening to Finebaum cry while it was going down.

Not saying it wasn't a big hire at the time, but to act like Fran didn't have obvious motivations to find a new job with the sanctions and to say that because we stole Fran from a program like Bama (which was a down program at the time) means we should be able to steal another coach from an elite program (not under sanctions mind you) is a bit silly
Joe Exotic
AG
Bob15 said:

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
USC
Florida
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Auburn
Michigan
Texas

Leaving past W-L record aside what quantitatively makes Florida State a better job than A&M?
85AustinAg
AG
Joe Exotic
AG
gigemtrev said:

Fran
Sherman
Sumlin

Flame away.

Texas is an elite job. Their last two hires were non power 5 coaches. One was from Houston just like Sumlin.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

gigemtrev said:

Fran
Sherman
Sumlin

Flame away.

Texas is an elite job. Their last two hires were non power 5 coaches. One was from Houston just like Sumlin.

That's just because of the landscape of college football right now. There are very few elite coaches and the schools they are currently at will pay ridiculous money to keep them from leaving
Bone6
Fran was an elite hire. We stole him from the SEC champions for crying out loud.

Sherman wasn't a big splash hire, but he was also a coach who at time time could have probably had another NFL gig if he had waited and wasn't going to go to just any college.

Sumlin was a hot commodity.

HoustonAg2106
AG
Bone6 said:

Fran was an elite hire. We stole him from the SEC champions for crying out loud.

Sherman wasn't a big splash hire, but he was also a coach who at time time could have probably had another NFL gig if he had waited and wasn't going to go to just any college.

Sumlin was a hot commodity.

SEC Champions? They didn't even play in the SEC Championship game because they were on probation with a 2 year postseason ban and 21 scholarship reductions. Fran was looking for a way out and we gave him one...yes it was exciting when it happened but this wasn't like stealing Saban or Meyer or something
Nino Brown
If you seriously can't understand that it's a combination of coaching and resources than no one can help you. Maybe you should go back and ask LSU why they hired Saban after being at Mich St. Dabo got his first HC job at Clemson. It's always a gamble but when the resources are there you keep swinging. Jackie was the biggest hire but didn't get going for a couple years. Sumlin has a solid first few years but has leveled.
1939AggiesNattyChamps
It's not a top job. We have won 10 games once in 20 years
Bunk Moreland
Sumlin was not a huge name. He was thought of as a good, smart hire and someone who would land a job soon...but at the time it wasn't like multiple top 20 coaching jobs were rushing to hire him.

I think there were hints that maybe Arizona was interested.

That year the biggest hires were tOSU, A&M, Arizona, Wash St, North Carolina, UCLA, Ole Miss.

Let's just say other than the Urb...2011 wasn't the year to go find a great head coach to turn around or improve upon a program.

Sumlin stacks up well against most of the list...but like many have said...not quite enough for the expectations we have.

Re: Fran and Sherm...Fran was a huge splash. Sherman...haha. Yeah. Another one that got a lot of friendly "this will be a really smart hire" but I guarantee not one opponent thought "oh ****" when he was named HC.
NoahAg
Bob15 said:

Alabama
Ohio State
Clemson
USC
Florida
LSU
Georgia
Florida State
Auburn
Michigan
Texas

Troof. To that list, I would add:

OU
Notre Dame
Penn State
Miami
Tennessee
Nebraska
Arkansas
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
UCLA

We are closer to:

Oklahoma State
Virginia Tech
Colorado
Arizona State
Arizona
Washington
Washington State
Michigan State
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.