Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hubenak, a great team player

3,002 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by C Loves L
Papa Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In case you were wondering why he hasn't played that much:

"His shoulder, he's been injured the whole time," said Sumlin, adding that he wanted Hubenak to play on Senior Night even if it was just handing the ball off.
Hubenak, who had played only against Nicholls State this season, played the last two series against New Mexico. He handed off in the first series, but was 1-of-2 passing for 5 yards on the second series.
"He hadn't thrown a ball in this whole year, basically," said Sumlin, adding that Hubenak signaled to the sideline that he wanted to throw. "That's what was taking so long [to get the play in]."
Sumlin said the throws showed why Hubenak hasn't played, but was glad he got to play.
"He's a great team guy," Sumlin said. "He's given us a lot of stability in that room. He's always wanted to be at Texas A&M. I'm just happy he had the experience in his last game at Kyle Field."
Hubenak came off the bench against Nicholls State to lead A&M on a pair of scoring drives to break a 14-14 tie for a 24-14 victory. He was 12-of-15 passing in the game for 93 yards. Hubenak replaced an ineffective Kellen Mond, who returned as starter against Louisiana-Lafayette. Mond took every snap in the next five games. He was relieved against Mississippi State and then Auburn by Starkel, who started the season opener against UCLA, breaking his ankle in the third quarter.

Threadbare
Hubenak deserves a lot of credit for the way that he seems to have dealt with what must have been a significant amount of disappointment in his time with us. Some other QB's we've had could have learned a great deal from him. He seems to carry himself very well in the face of adversity.
JST92
AG
I really like hubestank. I hope he does well. Good ag.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I'm somewhat starting to think since Johnny, Sumlin has become cursed with QB's. The transfers and injuries have made things difficult. I legit didn't understand why Hubenak didn't play instead of Mond. If Starkel and Hubenak really weren't ready to go when Mond was struggling I have a hard time being so angry with Sumlin. It's just the fact that Starkel has come off the bench when it was too late that has irritated me.
OSOB
Alpha Texan
AG
The qb situation has been chaos for 5 seasons, gig'em to Jake for coming in, working hard and filling his role. Wish we had more ags with his mentality.
MetoliusAg
Jake is a class act and a great Aggie.
Thumb War
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

I'm somewhat starting to think since Johnny, Sumlin has become cursed with QB's. The transfers and injuries have made things difficult. I legit didn't understand why Hubenak didn't play instead of Mond. If Starkel and Hubenak really weren't ready to go when Mond was struggling I have a hard time being so angry with Sumlin. It's just the fact that Starkel has come off the bench when it was too late that has irritated me.
The problem is we recruited a bunch of prima donnas (more Spav's doing). You can tell the more recent commits (Mond, Fortin, Gunnell) seem to be vastly more mature.
EKG1996
AG
etcetera said:

Jake is a class act and a great Aggie.
ironmanag
BanderaAg956
So is Sumlin admitting he played an injured QB against Nichols State and New Mexico?
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Ian Neff
AG
All that stuff Sumlin said gets me sentimental and weepy.
Love it.
Threadbare
drevans956 said:

So is Sumlin admitting he played an injured QB against Nichols State and New Mexico?
At what point did we decide that coaches that allow players with some level of injury to compete are incompetent and bad people? Because, I'm pretty sure that's a new development in sports...
ccatag
AG
Pretty sure I read that Jake wants to go into coaching once his player days are over. I think he was totally cool with getting the younger guys playing experience and being a coach to them and helping in coaching capacities with staff
EliteZags
AG

C Loves L
He was like a coach on the field
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.