Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Arkansas AD fired

10,915 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiehawg
HustlerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently the Petrino fiasco and now Bret Bielema has taken down the AD at Arkansas.

He is a member of the selection committee for the playoffs, too. (was chair of the committee for the first 2 years)

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/jeff-long-arkansas-athletic-director

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/jeff-long-out-as-ua-athletics-director/857890374
aggiehawg
AG
Here we go! Long was the only thing standing between Bielema and the firing squad (pun intended.)
Tamu_mgm
AG
Very soon 9 million+ will be the new norm for paying coaches. This arms race in college football is crazy.
FriscoKid
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Very soon 9 million+ will be the new norm for paying coaches. This arms race in college football is crazy.
TV deals have peaked though. ESPN is broke.
MaroonStain
AG
I think college football is at its zenith.
biobioprof
MaroonStain said:

I think college football is at its zenith.
I've been thinking it's like the real estate bubble of 10 years ago for a while. But then, I thought that was going to burst in CA 10-15 years before it actually did.
. . .
aggiehawg
AG
FriscoKid said:

Tamu_mgm said:

TV deals have peaked though. ESPN is broke.
It's not their college football division that's losing money (with the sole exception of the LHN), it is their professional sports that are dragging them down along with cord cutters.
HustlerAggie
Just checked one of the Arky boards and one of their crazier conspiracy theories involves Gus Malzahn contacting the school and demanding that Jeff Long be fired before he would consider coming to coach for them.

....and I thought our fans were delusional.
aggiehawg
AG
HustlerAggie said:

Just checked one of the Arky boards and one of their crazier conspiracy theories involves Gus Malzahn contacting the school and demanding that Jeff Long be fired before he would consider coming to coach for them.

There might be a civil war if they brought Malzahn back. He's adored in NW Arkansas but hated everywhere else.
RDV-1992
aggiehawg said:

HustlerAggie said:

There might be a civil war if they brought Malzahn back. He's adored in NW Arkansas but hated everywhere else.
He'd be adored throughout Arkansas if he got them an SEC championship.
HustlerAggie
aggiehawg said:

HustlerAggie said:

Aren't all the Arkansas movers-and-shakers (along with the growing population base) located in Northwest Arkansas nowadays? (vs. Little Rock area in the old days)

I am not super familiar with the area, but I seem to remember all of the big business entities (Walmart, Tyson, etc.) are located in Northwest Arkansas.
aggiehawg
AG
Yeah most of the big money is in that section. Which only make the divide wider.
biobioprof
aggiehawg said:

HustlerAggie said:

what if they brought Petrino back, along with the former Louisville AD?

do you think Frank Broyles passing away affected this at all?
. . .
aggiehawg
AG
biobioprof said:

aggiehawg said:

HustlerAggie said:

I teased The Hubs about Petrino maybe coming back if they hired Jurich. He wasn't amused. But he was apoplectic at the thought of Malzahn coming back, or worse, them hiring Charlie Strong.

And Frank Broyles' passing has indeed affected the power struggle. People gripe about our BMAs interfering but ours don't have nothing like the Springdale Mafia in Arkansas. (Broyles quit as AD because of them and well, he was getting pretty old but that last year with people barging into his office and making demands, filing hundreds of FOIA requests, flying banners over the stadium, etc. was pretty wild.)

biobioprof
aggiehawg said:

biobioprof said:

aggiehawg said:

HustlerAggie said:

I teased The Hubs about Petrino maybe coming back if they hired Jurich. He wasn't amused. But he was apoplectic at the thought of Malzahn coming back, or worse, them hiring Charlie Strong.

And Frank Broyles' passing has indeed affected the power struggle. People gripe about our BMAs interfering but ours don't have nothing like the Springdale Mafia in Arkansas. (Broyles quit as AD because of them and well, he was getting pretty old but that last year with people barging into his office and making demands, filing hundreds of FOIA requests, flying banners over the stadium, etc. was pretty wild.)

Run this by the Hubs:

All is falling into place for my scenario where Jerry Jones bails on the Cowboys before Goodell and the other owners force him out, and becomes AD and HC for the Hogs.

Unfortunately, he doesn't actually own Jerryworld, so he wouldn't be able to move all of Arkansas' home games to Arlington.
HustlerAggie
aggiehawg
AG
HustlerAggie said:

Aaaaaaannnndddd, so it begins.
MetoliusAg
Quote:

...if that happens, a BIG name could be offered the job.
A "big" name? Lol. I wonder who they're referring to. Chip Kelly is a big name. Mack Brown is a big name but he's 67 and wants to run Belmont Hall. I guess Mike Gundy and Gary Patterson both qualify as big names, in a way. Bob Stoops is a big name but he says he is done with coaching.

The hoggies should try for the guy at Memphis or Chad Morris. Or hire Neal Brown, the head coach at Troy, who is gonna make some P5 university fanbase happy. Or Venables.

wyattearpsghost
Arkansas. A&M. UT. SMU. Tech. Baylor. TCU. Rice. Houston (later.)

I'll never forget the old Southwest Conference.

Where have you gone, Kern Tips? (sigh.)
biobioprof
etcetera said:

Quote:

A "big" name? Lol. I wonder who they're referring to. Chip Kelly is a big name. Mack Brown is a big name but he's 67 and wants to run Belmont Hall. I guess Mike Gundy and Gary Patterson both qualify as big names, in a way. Bob Stoops is a big name but he says he is done with coaching.

The hoggies should try for the guy at Memphis or Chad Morris. Or hire Neal Brown, the head coach at Troy, who is gonna make some P5 university fanbase happy. Or Venables.

Jerry Jones is a big name!
HustlerAggie
etcetera said:

Quote:

A "big" name? Lol. I wonder who they're referring to.
Watch the attached video.
The Collective
AG
Arkansas really thinks they could take a coach from a division foe? Are they insane?

Also, hard to imagine they'd consider Strong. Arkansas fans were present for the .1 yards and a cloud of dust Chollie offensive performance.
. . .
HustlerAggie
CJS4715 said:

Arkansas really thinks they could take a coach from a division foe? Are they insane?

Also, hard to imagine they'd consider Strong. Arkansas fans were present for the .1 yards and a cloud of dust Chollie offensive performance.
Plus, this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Texas_Bowl
swc93
AG
biobioprof said:

etcetera said:

Quote:

James "Jim" Joseph Harbaugh is a long name; is that the same as big?
biobioprof
swc93 said:

biobioprof said:

etcetera said:

Quote:

James "Jim" Joseph Harbaugh is a long name; is that the same as big?
OMG, they're going after Ken Niumatalolo!

Or Petros Papadapoulis! Arkansas did hire Jimmy Dykes out of the B-list announcers for WBB a few years ago.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Wow, no way Arkansas gets in the playoff now
OSOB
ClassOf17
Chip at Florida, Gus at Arky... we better make a great hire or we're going to be sinking deeper into the bottom.
The Collective
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Wow, no way Arkansas gets in the playoff now

Golf clap
Hamburger Dan
POTD
Basketball and Chain
AG
ClassOf17 said:

Chip at Florida, Gus at Arky... we better make a great hire or we're going to be sinking deeper into the bottom.

Neither one of those is happening
EKG1996
AG

I don't see Gus going to Arkansas unless Bama crushes them and the Auburn fans throw a fit.

Maybe Chad Morris? Mike Leach at Arkansas would be fun.

aggiehawg
AG
EKG1996 said:

I don't see Gus going to Arkansas unless Bama crushes them and the Auburn fans throw a fit.

Maybe Chad Morris? Mike Leach at Arkansas would be fun.

Things have been rocky for Gus at Auburn for a couple of years now. Had he lost that Georgia game and Bama this year he most likely would have been fired anyway.

The bigger hurdle is Arkansas getting an AD, not an Interim AD and certainly not a woman. That's an unforced error on the university's part, IMO. They knew Long was likely gone for over a month. Should have had another AD lined up for a quick hire within a few days of Long's termination. Naming the Interim just delays things from progressing.

There are a few people that they could hire as AD that Gus would be comfortable with, I think. The timing may not work, however.

If they can get the timing thing to work, Gus and Christie go home, from what I'm seeing.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.