Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Why is no one talking about Venables? Did I miss something?

4,969 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 95_Aggie
HalifaxAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems like an overqualified HC candidate....why is he not being discussed at all?
EKG1996
AG
Seems like him and Bud Foster are just happy being career DCs, kind of like Chavis.
MetoliusAg
Good question, OP. Haven't seen him mentioned in recent rumors for any P5 jobs.

Haven't seen Justin Fuente talked about in the coaching job news lately either.

But the 2017 musical chairs cycle of cfb head coach job changes is just getting started. It will really heat up by middle of next week.
CrazyDayDuck
etcetera said:

Haven't seen Justin Fuente talked about in the coaching job news lately either.

And that there shows you that there is no real search going on. Instead we have a bunch of yo yos tossing around names.

Morris! No, make that Petersen! No, change that to Patterson! Nevermind, how about Fisher!
Gman7709
AG
Because they want a HC that has won a national title or at least conference titles recently. They (the
big money guys) are not considering up and comers or coordinators.
MetoliusAg
"We" ? Didn't you guys hire Herman?
CrazyDayDuck
etcetera said:

I'm an Ag.

Many of us do not have AgTags due to overzealous mods.
expresswrittenconsent
CrazyDayDuck said:

etcetera said:

I'm an Ag.

Its always someone elses fault for you.
TXAGBQ76
AG
He has interviewed for several HC jobs over the years and never got a call back. Either he doesn't interview well, his ego gets in the way, they do not think he will be a good head coach, etc.
BlitzBrother
Some guys just not HC candidates - HC requires organizational as well as communication skills - Plus if you need a " pull me back off the field guy " during the game to keep from getting an on the field penalty , that's just a bad sign !
Hamburger Dan
His name is a hot topic on the Texas Tech boards. Supposedly, He and Hocutt have a relationship. The Techsters are pining for Venables. Many believe that KK is history.
TxAg76
AG
Venables is F'n nuts, dude.
Great DC, but I don't think he'll be a good HC.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

I'm an Ag.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhttttttttt... Reading your posts not so sure although you are self described crazy...
Olaf
AG
Would like to point out that Venables' son is part of the Clemson 2018 class. May or may not be a factor. I think his name should come up if a coaching search happens.
SeMgCo87
AG
BlitzBrother said:

Some guys just not HC candidates - HC requires organizational as well as communication skills - Plus if you need a " pull me back off the field guy " during the game to keep from getting an on the field penalty , that's just a bad sign !
This!

I imagine that if we did hire him as HC, we'd need to get a mask and dolly to restrain him on the sideline, like Hannibal Lector.

Or if he were DC, maybe get a big leash and a steel pin in the ground, strong enough to hold a BIG pitbull.
TowerAg90
AG
TxAg76 said:

Agree 100%. As stated earlier one hat a HC must wear is effective communicator. Google Venables Interview & view a little tape on the dude. He's not the guy a college wants to hire as the face of their football program.
rbcs_2
AG
I'm always curious why his name even comes up, and it does on just about every thread related to a coaching search.

Being a decent DC doesn't mean anything about how well a guy will do running a program. They are completely different jobs.
BAS for life
I remember when Sherman made venables his ***** in 2010
MetoliusAg
rbcs_2 said:

I'm always curious why his name even comes up, and it does on just about every thread related to a coaching search.

Being a decent DC doesn't mean anything about how well a guy will do running a program. They are completely different jobs.
Most D1 head coaches are cfb coordinators on offense or defense before seeking and getting their first head coaching job. No one knows how any of them will do as a HC until they actually are doing that job. Venables might do well if & when he takes a HC job. No one here knows the answer to that.
Olaf
AG
rbcs_2 said:

Exactly. This is how I knew Kirby Smart would be terrible at Georgia.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Olaf said:

rbcs_2 said:

I was 100% on the Kirby Smart train when we hired Sumlin. Why didn't we hire Smart back then?
AG 73
AG
The problem with making big money as a coordinator is having to take a cut in pay to take your first HC position. There are not many schools willing to commit millions to someone who has never been a HC.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Venables would never work out at A&M. He would be too confused about not negative recruiting against A&M.
HalifaxAg
AG
Call me crazy but after 6 years of gum chewing, I wouldn't mind a sideline Hannibal Lecter.

I can just imagine someone screwing up on the field and having to face that when they come off. Saban does it all the time.
CrazyDayDuck
expresswrittenconsent said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

etcetera said:

I'm an Ag.

Its always someone elses fault for you.

Fault?

I wear my bans as a badge of honor.

Unlike some, I have a set on me.
CrazyDayDuck
TxAg76 said:

Have you seen Jimbo yelling at the fans?

He looks like Bo Pelini.
CrazyDayDuck
Schu2000 said:

Olaf said:

rbcs_2 said:

I was 100% on the Kirby Smart train when we hired Sumlin. Why didn't we hire Smart back then?

Because he wasn't Wilson's running buddy.
SeMgCo87
AG
Quote:

I think the jury's still out on Smart.

After all, he is still working with Mark Richt's recruits. Auburn was his first big test, he was DC at Alabama, so one would surmise the D would be strong.

It was pretty well shredded by Auburn. Next year will be a better gauge.
Olaf
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

Quote:

After all, he is still working with Mark Richt's recruits. Auburn was his first big test, he was DC at Alabama, so one would surmise the D would be strong.

Auburn was NOT his first big test.

Or is playing Notre Dame in South Bend with a true freshman QB not a test?
SeMgCo87
AG
Olaf said:

SeMgCo87 said:

Quote:

Good point. It was.

My thought was in SEC v SEC. I was merely referring to the comparison others have made re: Sumlin in 2012, success based on Sherman's recruits. Can't hold Sumlin to that standard, and then give Kirby a pass, or anyone else for that matter.

Alpha Texan
AG
Did somebody say "lunchables?" I'm in!
Olaf
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

Olaf said:

SeMgCo87 said:

Quote:

Good point. It was.

My thought was in SEC v SEC. I was merely referring to the comparison others have made re: Sumlin in 2012, success based on Sherman's recruits. Can't hold Sumlin to that standard, and then give Kirby a pass, or anyone else for that matter.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

Thought maybe Kirby wasn't getting credit where it's due.
Shooz in Katy
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

Quote:

Well I sure don't remember Sumlin ever having us ranked #1.
Class of 65
AG
Veneables was a HC at Nebraska
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Unlike some, I have a set on me.
Yeah ... someone else's on your chin.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.