Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Something is not Right with this JImbo Fisher Scenario

27,641 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiehawg
Agsuffering@bulaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Short version:

A&M is a slightly better job than FSU, but I don't see why he leaves FSU. Going to a new place means rebuilding. He is 52 years old. Why does he want to rebuild now? Why does he want to leave a place where he won a title. Why does he want to walk away from at least $40 mil guaranteed, but probably more like $50.

A good coach can win a title from either program. At this point, I dont see what we could offer him, other than a brinks truck.

Here is what I know:

-JImbo gets $5.75/year, through 2024, or 7 years remaining
-However, he gets an extension of another year the first 2 times he wins 9 games
-Contract has other bonuses too
-But if he leaves, Jimbo owes FSU the buyouts for any of his assistants they do not keep on
-I could not find current assistant info, but he probably has a big money DC making around a mil, and guaranteed for several years; the others are probably not as high, nor guaranteed for more than a year

-FSU has access to great recruiting just like A&M
-The ACC is a slight downgrade relative to the SEC

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2016/12/19/fsus-jimbo-fisher-receives-contract-extension/95624884/
MemorialTXAg
That's because he isn't leaving.
Arthur Stilwell
99% likelihood that he's using A&M's potential job opening as leverage to get what he wants at FSU.

1% chance that he's actually going to come here.
85AustinAg
AG
This is the stuff on paper. I think that the issues are between Jimbo, boosters and perhaps the AD. If he makes a move its because somebody isn't getting along, he doesn't feel appreciated, and FSU is pissed about their 3-6 season.

The opportunity to go somewhere where he'd walk on water (at least initially) and get a raise I think is what has his attention.
Phoenix1
Stopped reading at Texas A&M is a slightly better job than FSU.
hunter2012
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Short version:

A&M is a slightly better job than FSU, but I don't see why he leaves FSU. Going to a new place means rebuilding. He is 52 years old. Why does he want to rebuild now? Why does he want to leave a place where he won a title. Why does he want to walk away from at least $40 mil guaranteed, but probably more like $50.

A good coach can win a title from either program. At this point, I dont see what we could offer him, other than a brinks truck.

Here is what I know:

-JImbo gets $5.75/year, through 2024, or 7 years remaining
-However, he gets an extension of another year the first 2 times he wins 9 games
-Contract has other bonuses too
-But if he leaves, Jimbo owes FSU the buyouts for any of his assistants they do not keep on
-I could not find current assistant info, but he probably has a big money DC making around a mil, and guaranteed for several years; the others are probably not as high, nor guaranteed for more than a year

-FSU has access to great recruiting just like A&M
-The ACC is a slight downgrade relative to the SEC

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2016/12/19/fsus-jimbo-fisher-receives-contract-extension/95624884/

It's pretty simple actually.

If he's pressing for a raise, FSU gave him one last year and they are not high on him this year so they'd let him walk by calling his bluff.

If he really does have issues with their facilities, then A&M is at the top at the moment with that regard.

It's sort of like the Chavis scenario, if we do get him it will be a combination of factors that gets him here.
gA_CMAB_FA
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Short version:

WTF???
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

It's sort of like the Chavis scenario, if we do get him it will be a combination of factors that gets him here.

Exactly. There is always backroom politics going on at every school. We don't have a clue what that is, so all this "comparison of 2 schools on paper" stuff is meaningless.
hunter2012
AG
aggiedent said:

Quote:

Exactly. There is always backroom politics going on at every school. We don't have a clue what that is, so all this "comparison of 2 schools on paper" stuff is meaningless.
hankowitz
Distraction away from the James Franklin discussions.
technoviking
AG
Jimbo may see the writing on the wall with FSU's facilities not matching Clemson's. He probably wants the boosters to fork up some banana skins and build jimbo the stadium he wants, and his agent entertaining offers from a program that has done that recently is probably a good tactic to force them to do that.

He's owed 40+ million and if he walks he foregos that. However, A&M might be willing to pay him even more along with having the facilities he desires and a conference with a lot of money in it to boot.

The recruiting grounds are comparable enough as well.

I think this whole thing has legs. If Florida State agrees to build facilities he'll stay in Tallahasee for sure though.

52 isn't that old in the coaching world.
Agsuffering@bulaw
No, but 52 isn't that young either. Stoops retired at 56 or 57. Very few can still do it at a high level after 60.
85AustinAg
AG
http://gridironnow.com/seminole-fans-underestimate-texas-am-at-your-own-peril/
Agsuffering@bulaw
And yes, A&M would be a slightly better job for a new coach than FSU

We have the SEC brand.
We have better facilities.
We have a bigger stadium.
We have more money to pay assistants.

The X-factor right now is that FSU has a real coach in Jimbo.
rcannaday
AG
Going to be really interesting now that Chip Kelly to UF is being talked about allot. If that comes true, our next hire had better be very very big.
NoahAg
Quote:

A&M is a slightly better job than FSU
Stopped reading here. NO ONE outside B/CS believes A&M is a better job than FSU.

Some of you are so delusional.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And yes, "Jimbo wants facilities" makes perfect sense.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

No, but 52 isn't that young either.
52 is the new 32!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Assume Jimbo and Kevin both die in tragic accidents tonight. What makes FSU more attractive to a new hire?
DeepEastTxAg
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We have the SEC brand.

No it is not. FSU is a blue blood program. A&M is not.
jml2621
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

No, but 52 isn't that young either. Stoops retired at 56 or 57. Very few can still do it at a high level after 60.

jml2621
DeepEastTxAg said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We have the SEC brand.

OK, well since the late 70s... about 0.540 before that.

FSU (and Florida and Miami) were not a power until Bowden, Spurrier, Schnellenberger/Jimmy Johnson. They're not Kentucky or UNC in basketball. We have far better and more knowledgable fans, stadium, support.

Certainly, proof what a home run coach(es) can do. 3 NCs in less than 25 years.
technoviking
AG
Ages of some coaches out there:

Nick Saban - 66 years old
Mark Richt - 57
Mike Leach - 56
Chris Pedersen - 53
Urban Meyer - 53
Kevin Sumlin - 53
Chip Kelly - 53
Jim Harbaugh - 53
Jimbo Fisher - 52
Mike Gundy - 50
Dabo Swinney - 47

I'd say Jimbo, though not necessarily young, is not too old to want to start a program anew.
technoviking
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Assume Jimbo and Kevin both die in tragic accidents tonight. What makes FSU more attractive to a new hire?
According to a live Jimbo, the facilities might make it more attractive. Other coaches might agree.
aggiehawg
AG
The rumor on Finebaum is that Jimbo is being pressured to fire most of his staff at FSU. That it is creating tension. Which is ironic if you consider the terms of his contract if he leaves. It is tied to those same assistants' remaining salary. Presents an interesting legal question. If he has his AD on record saying which of his coaching staff needs to be fired, how can Jimbo owe that money if he acquiesces, fires them and then leaves??
'03ag
DeepEastTxAg said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

We have the SEC brand.

Lulz. The things I see on this site.
CoachLB
Reasons a coach will leave a really good job. #1 Cannot get along with AD, boosters etc. #2 Feels under appreciated. Saban said winning got to be a relief more than something to enjoy. No matter what you do the fans think it is not enough. Ever worked a job where no matter what you do it is not enough or not appreciated? #3 Needs a new challenge. Sometimes you just need to leave because you want the excitement of a new place and the challenge of starting something new. #4 Want to test yourself against the best. Successful coaches believe they can beat anybody and want to compete against the best. Can you imagine being the coach who knocks Saban from the throne? Several other reasons. Family etc. And I didn't even bring up Money.
DogCompany74
AG
Maybe he doesn't want to live in the shadow of Bobby Bowden.
Maybe Bowden cronies are pouncing on an opportunity to undermine him because of a bad year.
Maybe he doesn't want to see his ***** ex wife at the Winn Dixie.
He could actually know , like and respect Woodward.
Possibly he sees an opportunity to take on the best every year and create the next great SEC dynasty once old Nick hangs them up. He could be the Bobby Bowden of Texas A&M football .
Unlike a number of " Aggies" on this board he may see the tremendous potential we have and the tremendous assets we bring.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
Hogtown
I have no opinion as to whether Jimbo would be a good fit for TA&MU....that's up to ya'll. I will however give you a reason Jimbo would be interested....Marc Richt. If UM gets rolling, then the glory years of FSU are over. FSU has been living on UM's weakness for the past 15 years. Players from north Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, etc... have no interest in playing for FSU.....Miami recruits are Jimbos bread & butter. Finally, anyone who thinks FSU is a better job than TA&MU is misinformed. Recall, FSU is the girl's school...they don't have a deep roster of influential alumni..their facilities are OK, their pockets are fairly shallow.....they are way more sizzle than steak.
aggiehawg
AG
CoachLB said:

Reasons a coach will leave a really good job. #1 Cannot get along with AD, boosters etc. #2 Feels under appreciated. Saban said winning got to be a relief more than something to enjoy. No matter what you do the fans think it is not enough. Ever worked a job where no matter what you do it is not enough or not appreciated? #3 Needs a new challenge. Sometimes you just need to leave because you want the excitement of a new place and the challenge of starting something new. #4 Want to test yourself against the best. Successful coaches believe they can beat anybody and want to compete against the best. Can you imagine being the coach who knocks Saban from the throne? Several other reasons. Family etc. And I didn't even bring up Money.
This. This is the same fan base that ran off Bobby Bowden.
CrazyDayDuck
A coach willing to abandon his sick son and ignore a police report incriminating his rapist QB.

Sounds like our guy.
Hogtown
aggiehawg said:

CoachLB said:

This. This is the same fan base that ran off Bobby Bowden.
Ms Hawg...now come-on....I despise FSU, but Bobby needed to be run off. Heck, if I was King of FSU he would have been booted about 2 years earlier. FSU owed him nothing as he was paid fair market value for all of his efforts except for the last few years. During those last few years he was pulling in $4 million or so and delivering $400k results. Bobby waaaaay over-stayed his time at FSU.
biobioprof
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Publix crab claws
CrazyDayDuck
biobioprof said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Publix crab claws

And the Tallahassee PD, which looks the other way when Coeds are raped.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Anyone who posts on TexAgs who is old enough to have held more than one job in his/her lifetime knows that, sometimes, a person just needs a change. Perhaps it's a change of scenery. Perhaps it's a change of personnel. Perhaps it's this ineffable feeling that it's just time for a new career. It's been reported that Jimbo wants a new challenge, or a fresh start somewhere else. It's often almost impossible to put into words, but sometimes we just need a "cool change" in life.

...for whatever that's worth.
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.