Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Something is not Right with this JImbo Fisher Scenario

27,662 Views | 198 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiehawg
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Because a coach doesn't doesn't believe in luck, fantasy, or magic. If the money, facilities, and resources are there he's going to make that drive his decision.

Again, list the quantifiable metrics that make FSU a better job without citing historical records.

I'm sure when it comes to money and facilities they are on pretty even playing fields. Both fan bases are crazy and stadiums are nice.

I think that a coach looking at these programs as potential landing spots can see that both have similar support and facilities...but one has a proven and long term track record (both recently and throughout history) of being able to utilize what they have to produce championship teams (3 in the last 25 years) and one has not been able to.

And it's not like I'm saying A&M is a bad job just because I think Florida State is better. A&M is a top 15 job
Joe Exotic
AG
FSU's facilities are much worse than ours. One of fishers biggest complaints against their admin has been lack of facility investment.
HoustonAg2014
AG
It's a mindset some people don't have. You can't convince them Bayside. We've had our disagreements some people don't understand opportunities. Better money, more support, higher challenge, and everything at your disposal.

Coaches are intrigued at why A&M can't win. They don't understand and some want to take that challenge and crush it. Sleeping Giant isn't an A&M made up term. Coaches understand the potential and they want it. Hell, Urban Meyer wanted to work here. SEC anonymous quotes mentioned how they are confused how we don't dynasty.

In the words of some Big Time Aggies, the only ones holding A&M back are Aggies themselves. We have CEOs and Presidents around the globe. We expect perfection in ever field. But when it comes to athletics, some people think mediocrity is ok because they are scared of perfection.

Man up. We demand perfection in all aspects. Demand perfection in football.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FSU's facilities are much worse than ours. One of fishers biggest complaints against their admin has been lack of facility investment.

Ours are top of the line as of recent upgrades, I'm sure Florida State isn't far behind upgrading theirs and that is probably all Jimbo is trying to get out of them by leaking rumors that he might leave
CatmanBoo
Phoenix1 said:

Stopped reading at Texas A&M is a slightly better job than FSU.
Seriously? Because that's a true statement. Their stadium holds 79k plus they have crap facilities and the recruiting base is picked apart way more than texas is. Shall i go on.

A&M can roll out of bed and sign a top 15 class dude, no matter who the coach is.

I want Campbell or Mullen.
Joe Exotic
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Ours are top of the line as of recent upgrades, I'm sure Florida State isn't far behind upgrading theirs and that is probably all Jimbo is trying to get out of them by leaking rumors that he might leave

So they don't have the facilities we do but you're "sure" they are going to?

Again, I said quantifiable. Hunches are not.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

So they don't have the facilities we do but you're "sure" they are going to?

Again, I said quantifiable. Hunches are not.

I don't think that the disparity between our facilities would make a coach choose A&M over Florida State...especially given that Florida State has had exponentially more success with what they have

If I'm that wrong then I would imagine Jimbo will be our next coach
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

Again it's not just about a program with recent winning history, we're talking about a program that has proven to be a winning program for 4 decades...how do you not take that into consideration when choosing a school like that over a school that has not been able to win consistently ever?

You dig into the factors that led to the winning. Here they are: [Edit- original answer was cursory]

FSU was a backwater before Bowden. Bowden built that program from the ground up. Bowden is the equivalent of a first-ballot hall of famer. With success came the money and facilities.

They always had good geography, and it has gotten better with population growth in the sunbelt. They play in an 80k stadium. They are in a good conference, but not the best. They are one of the 20-25 programs with a legit shot at winning another title in the foreseeable future.

Jimbo Fisher took over a program that had advantages over many of its competitors. And, he did a good job with what he had. Either they were smart or lucky to hire him.

So the answer is that they were either brilliant, extremely lucky, or some combination. A&M has not had the same amount of luck/wisdom.

We do however have even greater resources than FSU. We are also one of the 20 or so programs with a legit chance to win a title in the foreseeable future. It just has not happened becaue we have not gotten or been able to keep the right coach in place.
HoustonAg2014
AG
My biggest worry is that Jimbo is using A&M against UT. I'm pretty certain he is done at FSU. We are hiring someone big. That's not a "through the grapevine" comment. Sumlin is done. That's a fact. Writers are getting their narratives ready to combat what we're about to pull out of our fishing net (Trump pun not needed). Hold on to your Willie cause it's gonna be a wild ride.
Joe Exotic
AG
It's a major part of the equation. There's a reason why coaches push so hard for them. He's had to fight FSUs admin tooth and nail for them and it's been slow going. Here he walks into it and more. A coach will never have to ask for anything here.
oldschool87
AG
His agent was the source of this story...

Figure it out people, Its just a raise ploy...
Joe Exotic
AG
oldschool87 said:

Problem is he's already gone to that well a couple of times.
HoustonAg2014
AG
Yeah I think I'll have an off year at work cause I was sick and then ask for a huge raise cause that gives me leverage.
halfastros81
AG
Fisher is not going to get significantly more $ at A & M than FSU but he would get better support. I'm not in the camp that he will be a slam dunk success here but I do believe it's the better job . Am I biased .... sure.
C Loves L
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Because a coach doesn't doesn't believe in luck, fantasy, or magic. If the money, facilities, and resources are there he's going to make that drive his decision.

Again, list the quantifiable metrics that make FSU a better job without citing historical records.

Then why hasn't A&M won more championships?

Coaches wanna go where a program knows how to win. FSU clearly knows how.

Also, it's common knowledge around the college ranks that A&M has more than normal outside interference when dealing with rich alumni/boosters

You think coaches wanna deal with that? Being forced to be a "yes mam" before the ink dries?
HoustonAg2014
AG
I can agree with this. I think we give our head coach a lot of resources but then we are also very hands on with the programs. I hope Woodward can keep the peace and let the next coach do his job. Remember, we have some of the smartest graduates in the world. They understand return on investment and are used to being involved. My opinion is try something new and let it fly.
halfastros81
AG
If it's more than common knowledge that the bma's interfere in football ops why have I never heard that? They have a big say in hfc hires but that is the norm everywhere.

Please provide an example of bma's interfering in how the football program is run after the hiring decision has been made.

jml2621
That last football facility upgrade at FSU was 2004.

Clemson and Duke had recent massive upgrades in football facilities.

FSU's next upgrade is only in the concept phase per AD Wilcox.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2017/04/29/massive-facility-upgrades-coming-fsu/101067040/
jml2621
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

oldschool87 said:

Problem is he's already gone to that well a couple of times.

The W/L record this season won't provide a lot of leverage for Jimbo.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
the point some of you are missing in all this, is not if FSU has a better history or a more successful program in the past. They absolutely do and by a freaking mile!!!

But we live in the present and make hires for the future of the program. So, if that is the case, then Texas A&M is by far the better program!!

We have better
-conference
-alumni
-lots of more money
-better academics
-BETTER FACILITIES
-BETTER STADIUM
-incredible support from school and alumni
-fertile ground from which to recruit which gives the edge to A&M due to conference affiliation

A&M has every reason to be a perennial TOP 5 program from here on out!!! Don't sell your school short!

We just need to find that up and comer HC and the sky is the limit!
Electric
AG
Okay just to summarize. We aren't saying A&M is a better overall football program we are saying it's a better coaching job right now. If we polled all of the power 5 coaches and asked them which school they would rather coach at if they were paid $5million they would overwhelmingly pick A&M right? You guys are the biggest bunch of homers if you believe that. We are a top 15 destination factoring in all of the facilities etc. they are top 10.
MaxPower
Hasn't FSU had better recruiting classes than us (and without "better" facilities)? I am trying to understand why anyone thinks we have a better recruiting base.
85AustinAg
AG
^ Nope we are a top 10 job factoring in support, facilities, stadium, and potential.
BMX Bandit
NoahAg said:

Quote:

A&M is a slightly better job than FSU
Stopped reading here. NO ONE outside B/CS believes A&M is a better job than FSU.

Some of you are so delusional.
Clay Travis lives in B/CS? He a Layne's man?

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/the-top-25-jobs-in-college-football-080314/
TexasAggieJTL
AG
It's silly to debate which is a "better" job...A&M or FSU.
It's subjective, what's important to one candidate my not be important to another.

Often times it just comes down to "show me the money" and the school that does is the "better" one.
45-70Ag
AG
I'd be curious to know what a well informed person would think that isn't connected to either school.

Of course texags and looch will say A&M hands down and an FSU person would say FSU.

I want to know what someone thinks that doesn't have a tie to either place and knows what they're talking about.
BMX Bandit
see post 2 above yours.

rpag87
We don't want Art Briles the second here. If we hire Fisher, then we are just like all the rest.
Tamu_mgm
AG
MaxPower said:

Hasn't FSU had better recruiting classes than us (and without "better" facilities)? I am trying to understand why anyone thinks we have a better recruiting base.
FSU has recruited LIGHTS OUT under Fisher and are in prime recruiting territory. The facts are yes they have recruited better than us and have averaged around a top 5 class the past 5+ years. Fisher has built a top 3 NFL pipeline as well in all of college football. Other than Bama and LSU, FSU is the NFL prep academy essentially.

All that being said, as other posters have pointed out we have a great recruiting base as well and should be consistently in the top 10 of recruiting. This is also noteworthy, with the recent surge of Miami and the most likely surge of UF, and the already surge of UGA the recruits in the state of Florida will be even harder to come by for FSU. So on the recruiting front, things do look more appealing for Texas A&M than they do for FSU in the near future.
Hincemm
AG
rpag87 said:

We don't want Art Briles the second here. If we hire Fisher, then we are just like all the rest.
um...no
BShaneRodgers
Would fisher choose us if Tennessee could match what we can offer? That's what I'm wondering.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

The recruiting bases are comparable.

They have recruited better due to coaching. They had a legend coach in Bowden, and have another elite coach in Jimbo. We have not been so smart/lucky. We stupidly ran off Emory. The conference conspired to push Jackie out. We allowed ourselves to fall behind in a facilities arms race. Fran looked like a no brainer but failed.

In college football, the coach is the X factor. IF A&M had hired Bobby Bowden after we ran Emory off, or even in place of Emory, we would have long been the king of SW Football. The mini dynasty we enjoyed under Jackie would be chump change.

FSU is not better than us. They were smart/extremely lucky. They outkicked their coverage, so to speak. Because of Bowden, their coverage got significantly better. If they are too stupid not to give Jimbo the facilities he wants, then they deserve to crash.
Tiger1992
Not trying to stir things up....but allow me to piss in your Cheerio's for a moment.

IF Gustav actually left Auburn to return to Arky, don't be surprised if Auburn calls Jimbo.

Jimbo did have talks with Auburn prior to their hiring Gus. It didn't get to contract discussion stage, but there were talks. He coached at Auburn for six years in the 90's as our QB coach. Not saying that's relevant 20 years later, but he's been there before.

Now, I'm not saying that Auburn would be interested in talking to Jimbo again, and I'm not saying Jimbo would be interested in talking to Auburn again. But if Gus leaves, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimbo gets a call.
War Damn Eagle!
DogCompany74
AG
I guess it all depends on who Jimmy Rane likes, doesn't it? Would Jimbo like working for old yellow hat?
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
superunknown
AG
Tiger1992 said:

Not saying that's relevant 20 years later, but he's been there before.

You kidding? We latch onto anyone that's had a cup of coffee or stopped for gas in Aggieland. That means they'll come home when we call, and they'll get us, they'll love and understand us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.