Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A New Coach Will Only Bring....

5,867 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by J-Licious
AGDAD14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A new coach will only bring us someone new to complain about! (guaranteed)

But also might bring us more 9 and 10 win seasons! (but that won't stop the complaining)

There a lot of fans this morning complaining about their "once upon a time" great coach!

BTHO Ole Miss!!!
Post removed:
by user
AGAZ03
AG
Whole Heartedly agree.

We may be in a lose-lose situation.

So Sumlin walks out with 5 million in his pocket.

We don't get the coach we want and we have to ride out another 3 seasons.

Make no mistake Sumlin will be fine.

If we truly want to get rid of Sumlin we better start working the back channels now to make sure we have a coach that's already committed.

We are damaged goods and when coaches like Chip Kelly don't come calling we will be left out in the rain.

Let's not get over cocky.

Any coach who takes this job knows they have to compete in the SEC West and knows they have to win 9 or 10games a year.

How many coaches can do that? Maybe like 10.

All of them have great jobs.

Orangutan
AG
"Damaged goods?" Get real.
halfastros81
AG
How do ya'll know this hasn't been in progress since last offseason? That would be the smart way to approach it.
Nino Brown
Damaged goods? The BAS is strong with this one boys and girls
AGAZ03
AG
I don't mean the program is damaged good. We have a stadium, facilities, fans and fertile recruiting grounds.

I mean the reputation of our leadership.

If you've never been in business then you don't understand.

The Universities leadership is a joke and it shows.

These are the people who will be the boss of the new coach.
Class of 65
AG
$10 million plus the balance of what we owe this year.
jml2621
AGAZ03 said:

I don't mean the program is damaged good. We have a stadium, facilities, fans and fertile recruiting grounds.

A lot better than Hyman, old Provost, Bowtie...

The proof will be in the pudding - we'll see who they land.

pirmag
AG
higher ticket, parking and concession prices?
ELGINAG
AG
What any candidate for a potential head coach has seen from school administration is that they will stick with a coach to give him ample time to develop a program. That they will give him any and all tools to be successful and win.
CapCityAg89
AG
It's not 3 seasons. Nobody with a pulse signs for a job like A&M for 3 years. This is a $35M commitment.
CapCityAg89
AG
ELGINAG said:

What any candidate for a potential head coach has seen from school administration is that they will stick with a coach to give him ample time to develop a program. That they will give him any and all tools to be successful and win.

IF you win 11 the first year.

The bar is raised. We're firing a guy for 8 wins. That's the minimum.
shihitemuslim
AG
It's going to be hard to get a good coach this year. Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida will all be looking.
AGAZ03
AG
Exactly.

Your first year you get a pass with 7 wins.

6 or less and your done.

Every year after that is 9 min.

After 3 years you are expected to be over 10 each year or you're out.

And that is in the SEC West.

Guys once again there is only about 10 coaches who can do this and they all have good jobs.

So unless we are gambling on a new coach like
We did with Sumlin, it ain't happening.
SA-AG72
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Wrong. TMF/BMA are the bosses. Combined salary of university leadership doesn't match HFC's salary.
Threadbare
AGAZ03 said:

Exactly.

Your first year you get a pass with 7 wins.

6 or less and your done.

Every year after that is 9 min.

After 3 years you are expected to be over 10 each year or you're out.

And that is in the SEC West.

Guys once again there is only about 10 coaches who can do this and they all have good jobs.

So unless we are gambling on a new coach like
We did with Sumlin, it ain't happening.
Barring a collapse of epic proportions, or some kind of ethical or contractual breach, any new coach will have three years minimum, no matter what.

If we only win five in the first or second year, well, that's not with his guys. If we win 6 the first two years, and then 8 the third, well, the trend is in the right direction, and he comes back.

And, dollars to donuts, if he wins 7 each of the first 3 years, he comes back for a 4th.

You see it all the time; schools accept less from the replacement than from the guy they fired because they're invested and have no choice.

Another interesting stat (that I couldn't find, but I didn't look that hard) would be the average winning percentage delta the year after a coach is fired in Division 1 programs. I'll be shocked if its not negative.

(Addendum: The more I think about it, the more I think you would have to filter out teams with 4 or fewer wins when the coach is fired, because there's so much headroom in the other direction. Again, I would be very curious to see the actual numbers...)
OrygunAg
AG
A new coach will bring us new traditions, new in game experiences, new slogans, new uniforms, new attitude,new tempo, new philosophy, new practice feel, new promises...
We already know what the next coach will tell us they will bring; we have been shovel-fed this horse**** for multiple decades, the only thing that changes is the astronomical salaries these frauds get. Amounts to nothing if they cant deliver hardware...real hardware that we can hang on the side of Kyle. Who am I kidding, we'll be back here in 5 or 6 years for same thing.
AGAZ03
AG
Agreed.

I wouldn't take the job unless all of the hands and people surrounding the program were fired or had a restraining order.

There are too many people surrounding the program.

While I don't support Sumlin I can not not imagine the BS he has to put up with.

The new coach need a clean chance. He shouldn't have to do talk shows or talk to Texags.

Can we allow it coach to focus squarely on football?

I mean damn this is getting too much.

I don't see coaches at other schools that have the demand in time that an a&M coach gives.

Shut it all down and let the man coach. No distractions. Stop it with the coaches club BS.

Bunkhouse96
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Agreed.

I wouldn't take the job unless all of the hands and people surrounding the program were fired or had a restraining order.

There are too many people surrounding the program.

While I don't support Sumlin I can not not imagine the BS he has to put up with.

The new coach need a clean chance. He shouldn't have to do talk shows or talk to Texags.

Can we allow it coach to focus squarely on football?

I mean damn this is getting too much.

I don't see coaches at other schools that have the demand in time that an a&M coach gives.

Shut it all down and let the man coach. No distractions. Stop it with the coaches club BS.

Then you better be Nick Saban or never Coach at a major program, because the job you described does not exist.
-------------------------------------
If at first you don't succeed, try doing what your teacher told you to do the first time.
Ian Neff
AG
I have a serious question.

What do ADs major in? Is there like a Disney School for these guys where they learn basics of this trade or is it primarily MBA silliness?
AGDAD14
a new coach will bring a last name that begins with a B or S?

Bible
Bryant
Bellard
Stallings
Sherrill
Slocum
Sherman
Sumlin

These are probably the coaches that most Aggies can name the quickest.

BTHO Ole Miss and tu!!!
85AustinAg
AG
Our leadership including Buzbee and his tank and Woodward are no better or worse than other university's leadership. Think for yourself don't listen to or believe everything that you hear about our leadership being a nightmare to work for. It's a lot worse at places like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida.

Remember Red McCombs and the Charlie Strong comments? These are a lot worse than Buzbee and Woodwards. All Buzbee and Woodward said out loud is what everybody has been thinking.
J-Licious
AG
AGAZ03 said:

Whole Heartedly agree.

We may be in a lose-lose situation.

So Sumlin walks out with 5 million in his pocket.

We don't get the coach we want and we have to ride out another 3 seasons.

Make no mistake Sumlin will be fine.

If we truly want to get rid of Sumlin we better start working the back channels now to make sure we have a coach that's already committed.

We are damaged goods and when coaches like Chip Kelly don't come calling we will be left out in the rain.

Let's not get over cocky.

Any coach who takes this job knows they have to compete in the SEC West and knows they have to win 9 or 10games a year.

How many coaches can do that? Maybe like 10.

All of them have great jobs.

How many teams in the SEC have won 9-10 games minimum in the last 5 years besides Bama. People want to trade Sumlin our 3rd winningest coach of the past 70 years for a bag of magic beans.

There is no guarantee that we could win 10 games a year with any coach the only one I might bet on is Saban. You need to recruit top talent and hope for the best when you play in the SEC West.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.