Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Chad

11,569 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Drake aTm
doc99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JST92
AG
Puff puff pass
carrollyp1
Watching the game and he is running the same offense as Mazzone . Do not hire Chad Morris. Go get a coach who knows what the meaning of winning is about, not a Coach who will try not to lose. The culture has to change and i don't care if we get 3 stars if they have the fight to win.
CARROLLYP1
Joe Exotic
AG
His offense is just like Clemson's
tvhn005
Morris is a loser like Sumlin
oneeyedag
The defense is far from the problem. As a matter of fact, the defense has improved since Chiefs arrival.
South Platte
A&M would clobber SMU. Good gosh ...
GetThoseKeysMilo
carrollyp1 said:

Watching the game and he is running the same offense as Mazzone . Do not hire Chad Morris. Go get a coach who knows what the meaning of winning is about, not a Coach who will try not to lose. The culture has to change and i don't care if we get 3 stars if they have the fight to win.

Something tells me you don't know how to tell the difference between one offense and another.
Uncle Jimbo
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Yeah, but he doesn't have Brent Venables defense anymore.
njohn87
AG
tvhn005 said:

Morris is a loser like Sumlin
*Citation needed
njohn87
AG
The vitriol towards Morris is insane. His resume at this point looks a hell of a lot like Art Briles circa 2007. Nobody's a sure thing, but you can toss out the A&M conenction altogether and he fits the bill of what you'd look for in a coach here. In fact, I think TexAgs would be a lot more receptive to him if he had no prior connection to A&M.
jml2621
South Platte said:

The UCF, SMU game tonight was like watching East Carolina...play East Carolina.
Joe Exotic
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Yeah, but he doesn't have Brent Venables defense anymore.

That doesn't change what i said
jml2621
njohn87 said:

The vitriol towards Morris is insane. His resume at this point looks a hell of a lot like Art Briles circa 2007. Nobody's a sure thing, but you can toss out the A&M conenction altogether and he fits the bill of what you'd look for in a coach here. In fact, I think TexAgs would be a lot more receptive to him if he had no prior connection to A&M.
If by vitriol you mean objective facts, then agreed.

Briles had a winning record at UH just after a 0-11 season by the previous coach. Morris is 13-20. They have improved, but Aggie football is over a 3/4 billion dollar asset business. You choose a proven P5 commodity first.

It's simple business logic.
njohn87
AG
jml2621 said:

njohn87 said:

Briles had a winning record at UH just after a 0-11 season by the previous coach. Morris is 13-20. They have improved, but Aggie football is over a 3/4 billion dollar asset business. You choose a proven P5 commodity first.

That's fair, if you can land Fuente or Petersen or David Shaw then that's great, but I'm just not seeing it in the cards.
Aggie1205
AG
He has never beat a power 5 school.
Deputy Travis Junior
carrollyp1 said:

He had great offenses at Clemson and helped Mike Sherman design that beautiful offense we ran in 2010 & 2011 (not his fault Sherman forgot how to call plays during halftime, so don't blame him for that). I think he'd adjust his scheme to our talent and the SEC competition, and roll out something highly effective.

Now if you want to talk about defensive problems...
underthesea
AG
South Platte said:

SMU is better than Nicholls state
BAS for life
I honestly don't care who we get because we are going to be mediocre regardless.

I just want a coach that A&M fans will support, so we can have a chance to build a program. Unfortunately it does not look that will ever happen. It is amazing how this board has already turned on morris. If he came here, first sign of trouble, so many "aggies" would say "I told you so". This is true of any coach who comes though.

This board and Aggies gave become just like the sips. Poison to their own program. It's damn sad.
headshrinker
AG
South Platte said:

Just like we clobbered UL-Lafayette and Nicholls St.
schmellba99
AG
jml2621 said:

South Platte said:

Werent you one of the ones that talked all week about how UCF was going to crush SMU? "Pack their fudge" or something along those lines.

There were 3 plays in that game that made the difference - 2 by UCF, one dropped pass by SMU. Other than that it was a game where SMU held their own against a team that had better talent at just about every position and was in it up until the final bell.

BTW, how did the last couple of proven P5 winner coaching hires go at A&M?
Ian Neff
AG
Please, i beg of thee, do not bash Chad Morris or overlook him Bc he is an Aggie.

In fact, please take the fact that he went to school here out of the equation.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this but back when we could have had Kubiak, I knew high powered boosters who DID NOT want him Bc of the fact that he was an Aggie. "Too much home cooking" was the exact phrase.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Ian said something like this a while back, and I agree. We are cursed. I think even if we hired Nick Saban we would be a mediocre football team and lose games we should win.

So, if Morris is the next guy, bring him on. I will support Texas Aggie Football (that's right Jason, I said Texas Aggie, you twit) and I will hope we win every damn game. But I will not expect much more than mediocre results. And I certainly won't tie my self-worth to the whims of 18-23 year old men.

RGLAG85
AG
Utter football situational ignorance in here! You can see the narrative already being set regardless of who we hire and it's amazing why some even watch Aggie sports.
MikeA245
If Chad wasn't an Aggie would you still want him? Yeah that's what I thought... this has horrible hire written all over it. Stop going down this hole with the Aggie family. We can bring in anybody and they will engage in the spirit of Aggieland. I don't want the feel good story and if you want WINS and a real change you shouldn't either.
texpdx
I have no issue with Chad being an Aggie but the BMAs need to start looking beyond Aggie connections. For me I see a few guys out there that are further along on their job trajectory. Both Campbell and Doeren are one job further along than Chad and still doing well. The main question is will we be able to get one of those guys or pick someone up that is at a Mid Major. When you end up going mid major you typically over pay for the experience and past results with the hope they grow into the role and salary.
ABHag
AG
We need a coach that runs a pro style offense. Starkel and the RBs that we have back there would benefit from a change in scheme. Idk why everyone wants to go from one spread offensive coach (Sumlin) to another (Morris).
Dr RC
doc99 said:

One other observation... Van Malone's defense looks to be as porous against #18 UCF as Chief's defense against Auburn, Miss St., and well, everyone else.
The positive outlook would be that they did hold a team that has been averaging 50 to 31 and just 10 in the second half.

I'm not sure why anyone would really be that put off over it though b/c Van Malone woudn't be following him here to be the DC.
Aggie_Jeff
chancebitters said:

We need a coach that runs a pro style offense. Starkel and the RBs that we have back there would benefit from a change in scheme. Idk why everyone wants to go from one spread offensive coach (Sumlin) to another (Morris).
Pro style? Do you know how hard it is to recruit to that style plus how many coaches have that on their resume?
jml2621
doc99 said:

Say what you will about Aggie Chad (Morris) being the odds on favorite to be our next head coach because he is a fellow Ag but IMHO he and his Ponies would beat Sumlin's Aggies heads up this year. His SMU team that has no where near the talent on it's roster that we have. He appears to be a flat out a better coach / developer of talent than Sumlin is.

One other observation... Van Malone's defense looks to be as porous against #18 UCF as Chief's defense against Auburn, Miss St., and well, everyone else.

They could beat East Carolina, based upon last night, Cincy, and Tulsa observations...

Looch and I don't think he's a serious candidate despite whatever Aggie love some BOR or BMAs might have.

It's not happening.

jml2621
Dr RC said:

doc99 said:

The positive outlook would be that they did hold a team that has been averaging 50 to 31 and just 10 in the second half.

I'm not sure why anyone would really be that put off over it though b/c Van Malone woudn't be following him here to be the DC.
2 gift TOs and playing at home.

June Jones took over an 0-11 SMU team and carried them 4 straight bowl eligible seasons, including 3 wins. No one in their right mind would have taken Jones as the Aggie HC.

I'd be in favor of making Morris the new OC under the new HC, and well-paid one at that.

jml2621
njohn87 said:

jml2621 said:

njohn87 said:

That's fair, if you can land Fuente or Petersen or David Shaw then that's great, but I'm just not seeing it in the cards.
That's just understandable B.A.S. talking. Those in the know in CFB are on record stating a LOT of successful P5 coaches would take the A&M job. The list of untouchables is only about 8.

High End Facilities
> 1/2 Billion $ investment
Aggie Values - personal responsibility, service
100,000+ stadium
Loyal fans (far more loyal than LSU, Georgia)
History of paying HCs well over the last decade in multiple sports
Tier One University
Recruiting Base
Proximity to Houston, San Antonio, DFW, Austin, without having to live there.
Great school system, kid and family friendly
Low crime rate
SEC

We have a lot of assets.

jml2621
schmellba99 said:

jml2621 said:

South Platte said:

Werent you one of the ones that talked all week about how UCF was going to crush SMU? "Pack their fudge" or something along those lines.

There were 3 plays in that game that made the difference - 2 by UCF, one dropped pass by SMU. Other than that it was a game where SMU held their own against a team that had better talent at just about every position and was in it up until the final bell.

BTW, how did the last couple of proven P5 winner coaching hires go at A&M?

Pack their fudge? hahaha no.

I stated that SMU had a difficult time ahead with UCF, Navy, and Memphis as a gauntlet, especially after poor performances against Tulsa and Cincinnati. Opportunity was knocking.

You conveniently forgot the 2 gift interceptions and pick 6 - the game would have been Vegas chalk at home. SMU was outgunned 615 to 489.

UCF averaged 540 yards/game. Thus SMU gave up MORE yards than UCF usually gets, but the game was held closer due to 3 UCF turnovers.

As I've said multiple times, Chad Morris is a very fine coach and would make a good OC at Texas A&M. But the HC skill set is completely different. His record is still worse than June Jones who took over a 0-11 team at SMU, and his recruiting ranks 77 vs 70 for Jones. Too big a risk for a 3/4 Billion industry.

MetoliusAg
jml2621 said:

Those in the know in CFB are on record stating a LOT of successful P5 coaches would take the A&M job. The list of untouchables is only about 8.
On the record. In the know. There are only 8 untouchable coaches we have no chance at.

Link?
JST92
AG
bfpri said:

South Platte said:

SMU is better than Nicholls state

Nope.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.