Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bruce Feldman (Audible Podcast) on Sumlin's future

19,028 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MetoliusAg
ec2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those not familiar with Bruce Feldman, he writes for SI.com and does sideline for FoxSports. He is VERY plugged in across college football and has a personal connection with Kevin Sumlin.

The past two weeks on the Audible podcast he has made reference to the behind the scenes situation with Sumlin at Texas A&M not being good (which is obvious). However, his inference is that the situation may be beyond repair, no matter the record at the end of the year.

A summary of his thoughts:

• "I don't think Scott Woodward wants to keep Sumlin there. Texas A&M has undermined him in a couple of ways publicly and also behind the scenes in a way which has not played well."

• "Kevin Sumlin may have some interesting options if he decides to walk away from Texas A&M in the wake of this. Arizona State, Nebraska, Arkansas."

• "There are some pretty interesting jobs that will come open, especially for a guy who has won a lot of games and has recruited very well."

My take is that he is in contact with Sumlin or someone close to him, and it is sounding like there is some real friction between the head coach and the AD.

If interested, jump to 53:30 of the 10/16 podcast at the link below.

https://audioboom.com/channel/theaudible
OrygunAg
AG
Let's see how November goes...
FishingAggie
Sumlin will not have any options that have given him the resources and facilities hesenjoyed at TAMU.

If he can't win here we won't win anywhere
RGLAG85
AG
Has Sumlin gotten along with any AD here? That might be telling.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Sumlin at Arky would be a flop. He may be able to recruit better for them, but not much better. It has taken him 6 years to figure out that the CUSA/Houston High schemes don't work very well in the SEC unless you have a once in a lifetime player like JFF. His hires of multiple former SEC assistants have finally convinced him to see the light, and he is finally making strides in the right direction. If he left for Arky, it would be a personal and a professional setback unless he could take half of the staff with him.

There's no way in hell that Arizona could come close to his current salary. He would be taking at least a $1.5-2 million pay cut. Hard to believe he is that unhappy here, regardless of the shady reports being spilled by people who supposedly know what's going on.

Nebraska: That is a very interesting thought, but also pretty sure he would be taking a pretty substantial pay cut.

Bottom line, if he is interested in trying to possibly salvage several million, he will need to stay in the SEC, and I can't think of another SEC team that would hire him for as much or more than he is already making. While both Tennessee and Arky could shell out the bucks, it's doubtful they would match. In either case, he would essentially be starting over and falling down the learning curve at the same time.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Sounds to me that he (Sumlin) is sending out feelers to see what's out there. I think he knows he is dust at the end of the season.
halfastros81
AG
Angling for a raise and extension thru the press? It's worked once before.
dude95
AG
$5M a year for 2 years (probably 3 as they will have to restructure after this year) is better than 2.5 for 5. Unless it's gone so far south with the AD and boosters that he's willing to take a cut to get out of here, I'm going to be amazed.

He's not going to be so hot that he'll get the biggest job...he might could get middle of the pack since there are so many jobs going to be open.

On the other hand - I'm sure his agent is pushing this stuff since he wants that other year added onto his contract and would love leverage to get it done.
TMF
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Would be best if he leaves and saves us some money, but I don't see that happening.

When his wife posted that damn letter and basically called Aggies racists by association it was already over. You don't go public with that on accident.

My thoughts exactly. This told me they were mad as hell and done.
Ian Neff
AG
I just don't see how this year results in him leaving.

He's got no options.
Neither do we.
Ian Neff
AG
Why would anyone leave Texas A&M for Arky?

Come to think of it though, I can see him leaving for Tennessee and taking Chavis with him.

HSEAG13
Ian Neff said:

Come to think of it though, I can see him leaving for Tennessee and taking Chavis with him.

FWIW, Arkansas campus > tamu campus
Nebules
AG
Not surprising, and neither would it be if negotiations with other coaches began before the season opener.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Our next Bear Bryant. God our administration is dumb.
Joe Exotic
AG
Ian Neff said:

I just don't see how this year results in him leaving.

He's got no options.
Neither do we.

It will depend on how he finishes. If he wins 9 or 10 he will have multiple options.
2nd Generation Ag
Back to the letter. We hired him. We are not racist
hook60
I'd prefer he stays. He has run a clean program and things are getting better. He still "has the team". They believe in him. He seems more comfortable, finally. His attitude with the press reflects that.
Heisenberg01
AG
Champ Bailey said:

You just compared Kevin Sumlin to Bear Bryant. Time to step away from the keyboard for a while buddy.
85AustinAg
AG
This is not good. We need to keep our options open and evaluate after the season. In the meantime keep a good working relationship with exising coaches.
DM44
I agree that this sounds familiar. Sumlin may be ready to move on, but not to another SEC school. They will have the same pressures and expectations. If Sumlin wants to move on, there is no need to make it known publicly. His agent could do that privately. Sounds like an attempt at leverage.
2nd Generation Ag
What Woodward did was brilliant. Kevin has the ability to be a great coach. Woodward is trying to push Kevin to get better. Looking back at my own career in business and sports it was scenario's where I was pulled out of my comfort zone that I got better. Of course he doesn't like Woodward because he called him out, but Scioyt was right Kevin needs to take the next step. Kevin needed to toughen up and work harder before the team got better. He is now doing that. Kevin walked all over the previous AD. At the end of the day we all need to be pushed.
bemer
S
Toxic subject imho. Better left alone as the whole narrative can kill recruiting. If the competition needs help this is step one.
Ragoo
AG
HSEAG13 said:

Ian Neff said:

FWIW, Arkansas campus > tamu campus
to each their own but Arkansas sucks. Not to mention their stadium is ugly and rusted out plus they have to play in Little Rock a couple times a year.
AggieKatie2
AG
Sounds more like an agent trying to get his client an extension after the season instead of Sumlin coaching under a short contract.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

When his wife posted that damn letter and basically called Aggies racists by association it was already over. You don't go public with that on accident.
You're right. It's no accident.

You go public with it because it is the right thing to do. Period. Stop. Pointing out the actions of a racist, cowardly football "fan" (and repugnant human being) is NOT calling all Aggies racists by association. YOU ARE NOT THE VICTIM HERE. If something like that happened to my family, I'd want the hell out of the town, too -- especially if I could ride out on a U-Haul full of $100 bills. I hope he gets to leave on his own terms, but I'd welcome him back just the same.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Champ Bailey said:

C/Lol

AgSwagalicious
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Consider wearing a helmet on a day to day basis.
twk
AG
AggieKatie2 said:

Sounds more like an agent trying to get his client an extension after the season instead of Sumlin coaching under a short contract.
This. It's not an accident that you're hearing this now. Earlier in the day, it was "Sumlin's not happy and wants out." Happiness level aside, no one was buying that Sumlin would walk away from $10 million. So, now it's Scott Woodward that's not happy, and Sumlin is merely looking at his options.

We've been down this road before. With the recent positive performance, Sumlin's agent is trying to posture for the extension negotiations that will come (assuming a decent finish) at the end of the season. If Sumlin doesn't have options, then he's going to have to make some concessions on the buyout in the extended term in order to get an extension. He's hoping, however, to be perceived as having options so that we will extend the deal on the same terms or something close to it. If Sumlin goes 9-3 or better, the parties should be able to get together on a reasonable extension with a buyout provision more in line with the market. Here's hoping that Woodward keeps his cool and plays this correctly.
dBoy99
AG
bemer said:

Toxic subject imho. Better left alone as the whole narrative can kill recruiting. If the competition needs help this is step one.
Thanks for the advice RC.

This is the internet - dumb **** is posted every second. Our opponents have better ammo than "Someone on TexAgs summarized Bruce Feldman's podcast".
OldArmy91
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Would be best if he leaves and saves us some money, but I don't see that happening.

cr
FishingAggie said:

Sumlin will not have any options that have given him the resources and facilities hesenjoyed at TAMU.

If he can't win here we won't win anywhere

You wink but its true.

He's in the #1 state for athletes. Biggest school in the state. World class stadium and facilities. Only school in this big state in the SEC.

If you think he will recruit as well as he did here, well...
DM44
bemer said:

I have to agree with you. This leaked information cannot help with recruiting and Sumlin knows this.

tu and OU are currently out-recruiting Sumlin, possibly showing that Sumlin has wasted his opportunity to create a long-term recruiting advantage for A&M in the state.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Heisenberg01 said:

Champ Bailey said:

You just compared Kevin Sumlin to Bear Bryant. Time to step away from the keyboard for a while buddy.

He has a better win percentage. But you are right, a better comparison would be a hands down better version of Charlie Strong. We are going to let go of him, and he will turn around some program and have them bowl eligible while we are still beating our chests over our new coaches team showing real promise while we are 3-3.
Rick Flex
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Heisenberg01 said:

Champ Bailey said:

He has a better win percentage.
Just stop man. Bryant's first season went 1-9, hence his poor win percentage. He had nothing when he came here, but in just two seasons he had the Aggies winning the SWC championship.
technoviking
AG
If we hire chad morris after going 8-4 or 9-3, that is going to make me really sad.

If we hire Justin Fuente after the same, I'll be happy.

If Feldman is full of **** and we keep Sumlin, I'll be happy, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.