Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

College Football's Most Valuable Teams

3,432 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MorgansPoint
Synopsis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It starts out at #20 (Florida State). Click the slides to find out the rest of the rankings.

http://247sports.com/Gallery/Most-valuable-college-football-teams-107759432/GallerySlides/694871
Quote:

There is a lot of money in college football, but just how much money are the top teams in the country worth? Indiana University-Purdue University Columbus finance professor Ryan Brewer has revealed his annual study, which puts a numerical value on the amount college football programs could garner if they were sold on the open market. Some teams were valued at over a billion dollars. Flip through the slideshow to see the most valuable teams.
CrazyDayDuck
Then that should be our standard, #13.

And we failed to meet that 4 years in a row.
redd38
AG
Synopsis said:

Click the slides to find out the rest of the rankings.

Just tell us our rank or don't start the thread.
Krazykat
AG
redd38 said:

Synopsis said:

Yes. I hate the slide viewers you have to click through.
halfastros81
AG
Cliff notes on rankings: Ags at #13. Three Sec west teams in front of us (Aub, LSU, Bama). tu @ # 2. Ohio St @ 1. 3 SEC east teams also in front of us (UT, UGa, Florida)
Picadillo
Saw a post here recently we were the most profitable college program last year, but that does not translate to "value".
Triple-T
AG
Here's a point worth noting:

Every one of the SEC Teams that are valued more than TAMU have won a National Championship since since at least the 1980's.

Winning = Value
Winning Big = Massive Value

Gig 'em.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Its speculative. I have said this alot, but here I go again:

Look at the football stadium size. Better yet, look at football attedance. That gets you into the ballpark.
Synopsis
redd38 said:

Synopsis said:

I should have posted the results. My apologies.

20. Florida State - $335,339,000
19. Washington - $434,313,000
18. Wisconsin - $439,379,000
17. Arkansas - $456,153,000
16. Iowa - $483,564,000
15. South Carolina - $484,757,000
14. Nebraska - $507,679,000
13. Texas A&M - $522,863,000
12. Penn State - $549,497,000
11. Florida - $682,031,000
10. Auburn - $724,141,000
9. Tennessee - $745,640,000
8. Georgia - $822,310,000
7. Notre Dame -$856,938,000
6. Michigan - $892,951,000
5. LSU - $910,927,000
4. Alabama - $930,001,000
3. Oklahoma - $1,001,967,000
2. Texas - $1,243,124,000
1. Ohio State - $1,510,482,000
Phoenix1
I have to question the validity of this. South Carolina is on it but USC, Miami and Clemson aren't? They have Notre Dame at 7? This has holes to say the least.
Synopsis
Phoenix1 said:

I have to question the validity of this. South Carolina is on it but USC, Miami and Clemson aren't? They have Notre Dame at 7? This has holes to say the least.
The professor who did this didn't exactly say what he based his rankings on. I'd be curious to see the stats behind his rankings.
etexorange
"Saw a post here recently we were the most profitable college program last year, but that does not translate to "value".

Because a substantial amount of that profit went to paying off stadium construction debt (you counted pledges and donations to those projects as revenue but didn't count it as an expense).
Agsuffering@bulaw
The article is behind a paywall. I still contend that it is beyond speculative.

Miami does not belong on any list. They get 50-55k fans/ game most years. I wonder also if not owning the stadium has something to do with it.

USCw also does not own the Coliseum. I believe it is owned by LA county. I bet that is why they are not on there. Same with UCLA- Rose Bowl I believe is owned by the City of Pasadena or some other political subdivision. It also probably hurts that the conference tv contract sucks.

I assume SC and Clemson both own their stadiums. Both should be either on or near that list. There are 19 programs with 80k or bigger stadiums. Both make the list. I would assume that SC is worth more based on the SEC television contracts, even though Clemson is a hotter brand.

I also do not understand Washington. They have a stadium in the 60s, and the PAC tv contract. They are in a talent-poor state, in a talent-poor region. To win, they need to convince kids from southern California to get on a plane and get rained on 300 days a year. It can be done, but is an uphill battle. Not an accident that Sark left UW for USCw. They are not likely to sustain success at a high level. Don James retired in 1992. They have finished in the AP top 10 twice. I dont think they have a premier product most years.
Bottlehead90
AG
But ou didn't have money for a stadium expansion?

aggiepaintrain
AG
those numbers don't mean jack shet
Raptor
AG
Phoenix1 said:

Private schools don't normally release their financial numbers. Some do (Notre Dame) and some don't (Miami).

That's probably why they're not on there.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

Ag Tag
Texas, Florida, and Alabama are the three states that had two teams included.

And five of those six are SEC teams.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Most of the programs on that list belong on that list. The order is highly debatable. Oklahoma does not belong in the top 10 in terms of how much revenue it could generate.

They have an 85k stadium, are stuck in a bad conference with a bad tv contract, and have to import raw material (HS recruits) to feed their program. They achieved at a high level b/c they had a very good coach. You never want to be coach dependent on making money. You want to have such a powerful brand that you still make money going 8-5.

Again, look at attendance and look at the tv contract. That gives you probably 80-90% of what you need.

Quote:

Michigan led the FBS with an average attendance of 110,468 fans per home game in 2016. Six other programs also averaged more than 100,000: Ohio State (107,278), Texas A&M (101,917), Alabama (101,821), LSU (101,231), Tennessee (100,968) and Penn State (100,257). Texas (97,881), Georgia (92,746) and Nebraska (90,200) rounded out the top ten.

And I still say the "expert" pulled those specific numbers out of his rear.

http://www.footballfoundation.org/tabid/567/Article/55850/2016-Report-Passion-for-College-Football-Remains-Strong-with-Impressive-Ratings-and-Attendance.aspx
Agsuffering@bulaw
And Raptor, no on Miami. They get 50k/ game most years (last year was better than normal). They cannot keep up financially with programs who get 1.5 and 2x that number. They cannot keep up with programs who make $10 mil more per year in tv money.
jeremiahjt
Ag Tag said:

Are you sure about that?
TXAG 05
AG
jeremiahjt said:

Ag Tag said:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah. Did UT or Florida St join the SEC last night and no one told us?
MorgansPoint
AG
Phoenix1 said:

This has holes to say the least.

That's what she said.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.