Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hyman comments on Sumlin's contract

6,266 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by _mpaul
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

And many of these lawyers are friends with lawyers of the donors.

Or so I hear...
Likely are. Bottom line here is that Hyman directly accused the university lawyers of misfeasance if not malpractice. Their employer/client is the university, not the BMAs. And as I said before the university is the party to the contract.

If that scenario actually happened and the university lawyers signed off on it, their employment status and compensation should be reviewed toot sweet.
Jack Cheese
AG
AGnCS said:

well, he's right you know

He's probably right about some stuff but he's also an incredible poon for saying what he did, in a FW newspaper.

Both can be true.

Zwerneman tore him a new one and it was glorious.
_mpaul
AG
This is why I stopped getting season tickets. We are like the Republicans who can't get out our own damn way. We shell over $800,000 a year to somebody that's doesn't give a rats ass about us as an institution. If we are just looking for a bean counter instead of a leader, I'm sure we caring one much cheaper.

Go work through your issues with somebody else's money.
_mpaul
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

And many of these lawyers are friends with lawyers of the donors.

Or so I hear...
Likely are. Bottom line here is that Hyman directly accused the university lawyers of misfeasance if not malpractice. Their employer/client is the university, not the BMAs. And as I said before the university is the party to the contract.

If that scenario actually happened and the university lawyers signed off on it, their employment status and compensation should be reviewed toot sweet.

Lawyers don't get to make those decisions. They do what they are told by their clients, who are presumed to know and understand what they are signing.
jml2621

Hyman was clear that the problem of micromanagement was not the boosters associated with the 12th Man, but the BOR (mostly Perry donors and cronies) and Sharp. On your Venn diagram, some of the BOR are BMAs.

So the question is as there is some BOR turnover, Does Woodward kowtow to Sharp and the BOR to the same extent as Hyman - at that time, Perry, BOR, Sharp micromanaged the entire university with the assistance of Watson, or at least they tried. I'm skeptical Young hired Woodward from Washington to be a Sharp and BOR lackey. Not that there won't be pressure, there will be...but think about the unlikely calculus where Young fires Woodward.

aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

They do what they are told by their clients, who are presumed to know and understand what they are signing.
LOL. Then they don't need a lawyer to advise them, by your standards.
QCAg93
AG
Seems like with my memory I read Texags more when there is a sense of a possible coaching change which is almost every year that someone on Texags kept talking about ONE of the BOR members being friends with Sumlin at the time who was at Houston and was pushing for him. I don't remember at the time his name but on Texags someone or some people kept mentioning his name. I still remember some of the conversations on Texags with emotions of excitement of gitting rid of Sherman, keep him to give him more time, and caution about Sumlin losing some games he should have won at Houston.
wxguy95
AG
FriscoKid said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FriscoKid said:

Dr. Teeth said:

FriscoKid said:

He said he was given the contract and "they" said "this is what we are going to do".

I wonder who "they" are. School officials or boosters? Honest question...

"They" get to tell the AD what to do.
Boosters.

It's been this way forever.

So boosters or a booster will decide who our next coach will be? I thought the AD had more power than this.

It's almost like someone has been telling you people this for a while now. And when it's finally admitted to you act surprised.

Do they have influence? Yes. Do I believe that they write contracts and deliver them to the AD or pick the next head coach and the school doesn't have a say? I hope not.

I have said something along the lines of the BMAs and BOR do the selecting and contracts in the past. If the school (and most big ones are) is this type of arrangement, you can't have an AD that allows it to just happen. You have to have an AD that is a strong leader and can guide the 'help' he/she is getting into a good contract for the coach and school.

It's pretty clear we had a weak AD unable to do his job here as needed. The fact he feels free to carry this into the papers shows really just proves how incompetent he was.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

It's pretty clear we had a weak AD unable to do his job here as needed. The fact he feels free to carry this into the papers shows really just proves how incompetent he was.
He was a pretty good AD at South Carolina. I think his heart was no longer in it by the time he came to A&M. Was just a paycheck guy waiting for retirement.
MorgansPoint
WC94
AG
A&M is the official golden parachute destination. Everyone knows out leadership is incompetent and will over pay for mediocrity. Hyman in an early interview was gleeful about how deep our pockets are. Hyman is a dewsh.
_mpaul
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

They do what they are told by their clients, who are presumed to know and understand what they are signing.
LOL. Then they don't need a lawyer to advise them, by your standards.
Not my standards. It's Texas law. The clients' job is to discuss any questions they have with the lawyers and make sure they actually do understand before signing. Its not the lawyers' job to negotiate unless the clients specifically give them that authority, which would be rare given the sophistication of these parties. (I'm sure Sumlin's agent is a lawyer, but that's a little different situation than a state institution that needs approval by the BOR.)
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Not my standards. It's Texas law. They're job is to discuss any questions they have with the lawyers and make sure they actually do understand before signing.
And advise against signing if it is a bad contract for your client.
_mpaul
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Not my standards. It's Texas law. They're job is to discuss any questions they have with the lawyers and make sure they actually do understand before signing.
And advise against signing if it is a bad contract for your client.
Nope, that's a business decision. Generally, its not your job as a lawyer to make value judgments like that. You should inform the client as to industry standards you are familiar with, if any, such as market rates for other coaches, "standard" provisions, but it's the client's job to make the business decision, and the lawyer's job to put the deal to paper.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.