Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hyman comments on Sumlin's contract

6,288 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by _mpaul
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

"I have done this job a long time and I don't blame Kevin Sumlin. If someone is going to give you $5 million a year for six years, it would have been stupid of him to turn it down," Hyman said. "But the contract was given to me, and it was 'This is what we are going to do.' I looked at myself and I was stunned.

"I had no say so over it. I've been doing this job for a long time. I had worked with Steve Spurrier for years, and he was paid a heck of a lot less than Coach Sumlin. And he won national championships after conference championships. And then you are making this commitment to a person, and again I don't blame Kevin, that's never won a conference championship

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-texas-contract-191758321.html

Interesting.
Tamu_mgm
AG
***K YOU HYMAN!
SidetrackAg
AG
It'll happen again in the future, and we will all be pissed off about it.
95_Aggie
AG
well, he's right you know
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So does he discuss why he wore the TCU shirt and "other" baseball items?
TMartin
Where are the "public records" of Sumlin's contract extension?
Tom Hagen
AG
Who was the BMA responsible? Buzbee says it wasn't him.
FriscoKid
AG
He said he was given the contract and "they" said "this is what we are going to do".

I wonder who "they" are. School officials or boosters? Honest question...

"They" get to tell the AD what to do.
Dr. Teeth
AG
The AD has very little oversight over football. This is why the Bill Byrne bashing over Franchione and Sherman is stupid. He had no say in that whatsoever. He elevated the programs that he had command over.
Strategy
AG
I find his comments unbiasely genuine and incredibly candid.

Sounds like a Sharp run organization.

Dr. Teeth
AG
FriscoKid said:

He said he was given the contract and "they" said "this is what we are going to do".

Boosters.

It's been this way forever.
FriscoKid
AG
Dr. Teeth said:

FriscoKid said:

Boosters.

So boosters or a booster will decide who our next coach will be? I thought the AD had more power than this.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

So boosters or a booster will decide who our next coach will be?
Yes
Aggie Joe 93
AG
AD should be strong enough to at least say "Fine give him the money you want, give him the signing bonus. But let's protect your cherished alma mater and include buyout language, for a rainy day, or sign here that you'll cover the buyout yourself".

Or an AD that really has his heart (and t-shirt) for TCU, looked at it and said "OK, not my battle. You Aggies are weird." and wasn't invested enough to fight for the proper prophylactic clauses. (Or just add those clauses and ask 'forgiveness later)
Windy City Ag
AG
I thought, prior to this article, that the TexAgs community had concluded the Texas A&M regents and management structure consisted of a bunch of political hacks with low IQ and rich dipS%^ts that make stupid choices time and again.

This article is pretty consistent with that take. Hyman is just saying what we already know.

I will say it discounts the pretty white hot nature of Sumlin at the time. It was either Southern Cal or the NFL or somebody but he seemed on his way out of town at the time unless we stepped up. Given the Billion dollar stadium project, move to the SEC, swelling TV revenues, and sense of manifest destiny; it probably made more sense back then.

It looks really Fing stupid now.
Dr. Teeth
AG
FriscoKid said:

I thought the AD had more power than this.
Nope.

Football has always been run by the boosters.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Nope.

Sorta . . .depends on the nature of the AD. Sometime legendary coaches step up AD and have more a bully pulpit. I doubt Tom Osborne had to put up with the same crap at Nebraska when he was AD. Hyman was a hired gun and outsider and did not have any political clout so he did was he was told.
Schrute
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Nope.

Sorta . . .depends on the nature of the AD. Sometime legendary coaches step up AD and have more a bully pulpit. I doubt Tom Osborne had to put up with the same crap at Nebraska when he was AD. Hyman was a hired gun and outsider and did not have any political clout so he did was he was told.
I wish Hyman would have been told not to screw over our baseball team. But I guess he couldn't help himself.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Meh. Even if you know you are a paid puppet and 'Yes man'; you need to learn to sell the concept of giving them something better than what they ask for.

That is, unless you are OK taking big money to do nothing. And if that's the case don't go crowing about how great your ethics are after the fact.
vander54
S
A response by BZ

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Rewriting-history-not-proper-course-of-action-for-12219553.php&cmpid=twitter-premium
FriscoKid
AG
vander54 said:

A response by BZ

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Rewriting-history-not-proper-course-of-action-for-12219553.php&cmpid=twitter-premium

See that sounds like people in the Universiry doing the micro-managing. Sharp is even quoted.
cr
vander54 said:

A response by BZ

ouch
Leander - Ag
AG
vander54 said:

A response by BZ

Head shot
EKG1996
AG
Don't always agree with Brent Z, but he is right on track here.

Eric Hyman signed and approved the contract extension. So now he is saying to the media that he was stunned and didn't agree with it but signed it anyway?

Really bad look, not for Texas A&M but for Eric Hyman.

vander54
S
EKG1996 said:

Don't always agree with Brent Z, but he is right on track here.

Eric Hyman signed and approved the contract extension. So now he is saying to the media that he was stunned and didn't agree with it but signed it anyway?

Really bad look, not for Texas A&M but for Eric Hyman.

Exactly. If he truly is this amazing ethical person why sign something you don't agree with. He should have said I can't sign that and either quit or fought for what he believes. Not sign it and then years later talk about how he's better than A&M.
Joe Exotic
AG
FriscoKid said:

Dr. Teeth said:

FriscoKid said:

Boosters.

So boosters or a booster will decide who our next coach will be? I thought the AD had more power than this.

It's almost like someone has been telling you people this for a while now. And when it's finally admitted to you act surprised.
FriscoKid
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

FriscoKid said:

Dr. Teeth said:

FriscoKid said:

Boosters.

It's almost like someone has been telling you people this for a while now. And when it's finally admitted to you act surprised.

Do they have influence? Yes. Do I believe that they write contracts and deliver them to the AD or pick the next head coach and the school doesn't have a say? I hope not.
EKG1996
AG
We definitely need more "football" people involved in our searches (and I don't mean a search firm).

Since AD doesn't have that football background; hire a handful of successful old coaches/ADs that know football and A&M/SEC and get their recommendations.

Then you sell the boosters on the options and go to work.

Shouldn't be that hard.
merch
Yea, Eric H. looks like the idiot here.

If you have a job to do and somebody tells you to do something that you feel makes no sense AND it is your job to carry it out, then it is your JOB to deal with that.

What Eric is saying is he was told this is how it is going to be and even though he KNEW this was a bad deal for the University and the athletic department, he didn't do anything about it (which was his job).

What that tells me Eric, you failed at your JOB. You failed to protect the University that was paying you a lot of money.

Ask yourself this, if Sumlin had went on to kick butt and win us a national championship over the last few years, is Eric coming out now saying he thought this was a bad move?

Eric H. is a turd!

rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

What that tells me Eric, you failed at your JOB. You failed to protect the University that was paying you a lot of money.
Which is a nicer way of calling him a wiener, like Brent Zwerneman did. Turd is also fitting.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Do they have influence? Yes. Do I believe that they write contracts and deliver them to the AD or pick the next head coach and the school doesn't have a say? I hope not.
University lawyers cannot let that happen. The boosters aren't the ones signing the contracts.

Hyman is FOS.
FriscoKid
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

University lawyers cannot let that happen. The boosters aren't the ones signing the contracts.

Hyman is FOS.

But do you think they wrote it?
Tripacer
From another article I read, it sounded like boosters that are on the board of regents can get heavily involved and have in the past.

ETA: this was in the thread yesterday about Jackie saying Sumlin could coach.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texasamaggies/2017/09/21/aggie-spirit-football-power-politics-history-repeating-texas-am
aggiehawg
AG
FriscoKid said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Hyman is FOS.

The BMAs? No, they didn't write it. They likely laid out the parameters of the basic agreement but they didn't create the final document. A&M has a host of lawyers who draw up university contracts.
Joe Exotic
AG
aggiehawg said:

FriscoKid said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Hyman is FOS.

The BMAs? No, they didn't write it. They likely laid out the parameters of the basic agreement but they didn't create the final document. A&M has a host of lawyers who draw up university contracts.

And many of these lawyers are friends with lawyers of the donors.

Or so I hear...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.