Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How often do you expect to see us in a two-back set against Arkansas?

2,402 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MikesFamousJava
MikesFamousJava
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With Arky's susceptibility to the run, I'd love to see us running a LOT of it on Saturday. Sadly, I have little faith in our OC or HC to stick with what has been a successful formation for us against a team ranked 62nd in rushing defense.
Flashdiaz
AG
get ready for lots of field goal fakes.

also, lots of runs with Ford to the side.... you know, just to fake them out.
CCAg95
AG
<TexAgs>
Is it working? Not enough
Is it not working? Too much
</TexAgs>
Meximan
Somewhere between zero and infinity.
Amazing Moves
Get ready for fades inside the 3.
Sharpshooter
AG
tree-fiddy.
IrishAg
These are the moments I miss Kingsbury, he wasn't the best play caller, but the one thing he was never afraid to do was to make a defense stop his offense. If he found a play that worked, he would keep hitting the defense until they proved they could stop it. None of this, I need to stick to my plan ****, just go out there find something that works and just keep freaking doing it. I think of that every time we've run down someone's throat out of the 2 back formation and then stop for over a quarter or more because apparently we ran those plays enough times...I haven't seen any consistently stop that running formation yet.
cevans_40
AG
60-75%
Agsuffering@bulaw
Agree with OP, or at least I would bring in that white TE we have been using as an H Back.
NyAggie
AG
Because the two back set has been our most successful formation this year, I expect our coaches not to use it that much

CrottyKid
AG
NyAggie said:

Because the two back set has been our most successful formation this year, I expect our coaches not to use it that much

Exactly. We will go 5 wide like a bunch of idiots. Mazzone has late stage offensive coordinator disease.
AnalogyAg
maybe im wrong, but seems to me our 2 back O has been the most successful in almost all games for
the past few years- whether we are trying to run OR pass.

Sometimes the most progressive O is a return to basics.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
CCAg95 said:

<TexAgs>
Is it working? Not enough
Is it not working? Too much
</TexAgs>

We have a winner. A Spavzone special
h1frogman
If it works well the first time? Once
setsmachine
AG
IrishAg said:

These are the moments I miss Kingsbury, he wasn't the best play caller, but the one thing he was never afraid to do was to make a defense stop his offense. If he found a play that worked, he would keep hitting the defense until they proved they could stop it. None of this, I need to stick to my plan ****, just go out there find something that works and just keep freaking doing it. I think of that every time we've run down someone's throat out of the 2 back formation and then stop for over a quarter or more because apparently we ran those plays enough times...I haven't seen any consistently stop that running formation yet.

Didn't we run the same play against Arkie like 5 times in a row his first year? Quick throw outside until they finally adjusted, something like that.
Nino Brown
Some of these O coordinators are more concerned with being the smartest person in the room vs winnning the game
jml2621
NyAggie said:

This is the correct answer.
ashley
MikesFamousJava said:

With Arky's susceptibility to the run, I'd love to see us running a LOT of it on Saturday. Sadly, I have little faith in our OC or HC to stick with what has been a successful formation for us against a team ranked 62nd in rushing defense.

What are the pluses and minuses of a two back offense for us?
bgrimm05
AG
Point being...and I've said this for years...is that the 2 back set is the toughest formation to defend.
saw em off
Amazing Moves said:

I really hate these. It only works if you have a 6'7" receiver against a 5'3" DB.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I'm predicting we could see it used up to 8 and as little as 5 times this game.
tmaggie50
AG
Only enough to see that it still works
Schrute
Nino Brown said:

Some of these O coordinators are more concerned with being the smartest person in the room vs winnning the game
So much this. Most likely the reason we lost the UCLA game. Mazzone is an idiot. Those fades in the end zone were probably the most stupid play calls I've ever seen. We were man-handling them up front, running at will. Then Mazzone tries to get cute and say "hey look at me, I am so clever!". Call the ****ing plays that are working. Is it really that hard to do?
NoahAg
Amazing Moves said:

Huh, like this (0:27 mark)?
Flashdiaz
AG
Schrute said:

Nino Brown said:

So much this. Most likely the reason we lost the UCLA game. Mazzone is an idiot. Those fades in the end zone were probably the most stupid play calls I've ever seen. We were man-handling them up front, running at will. Then Mazzone tries to get cute and say "hey look at me, I am so clever!". Call the ****ing plays that are working. Is it really that hard to do?
we've been doing this for years so it's not just Mazzone.

We had Tra Carson, big bruiser back running sweeps.
We had Trey Williams, shifty and quick running straight up the middle.

MikesFamousJava
AG
As feared...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.