Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jackie Sherrill says Sumlin Can Coach

7,125 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 4ZORRO
aggiedad55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to the article on TexAgs home page, Aggie Spirit, football, power and politics: Jackie Sherrill said, "You don't have to tell Kevin Sumlin how to coach. He can coach."
BJM1781
AG
Cool beans.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
It would be nice if he would show it for more than one half a game.
GoodOldAgs
jja79
AG
Have you ever heard a coach say we're playing a poorly coached team this week?
ironmanag
AG
Bwaahaahaaahaaahaa

Jackie is god. Jackie wouldn't do this.

Jackie says something that doesn't fit the trog agenda

Oh don't listen to Jackie.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
1. "can" vs "does"
2. everyone can coach but do they do it well?
3. How many quarters are in a game?
4. What is clock management? Does it have anything to do with snapping the ball after five seconds versus 20 seconds? Pass vs run?
5. What happens during the halftime talks?
6. It takes a really "special" coach to mess up the QB position so consistently. Props!
Meximan
ironmanag said:

Bwaahaahaaahaaahaa

Either you're British or you don't realize trog is a racial epithet towards Native Americans.
Boiling Denim
Jackie is also in his 70s..my grandpa thought wrestling was real when he was that old
AG
What's he gonna say? It's done at this point, why pile on publicly in his position? No reason to burn a bridge.
redd38
AG
Sumlin said Sherrill could use the chopper this weekend if he said nice things about him.
BTKAG97
AG
Meximan said:

ironmanag said:

Bwaahaahaaahaaahaa

Either you're British or you don't realize trog is a racial epithet towards Native Americans.
Ummm...no. It's short for troglodyte.
AnalogyAg
et tu, Jackius?
bigblackag12
AG
He's right, sumlin is a good coach. Top 30-20 in his field. But good coaches cant piece together championship teams. You need a great coach for that. Now even great coaches cant do it if they have a corrupt BOR that wants to control too much, but that's a different story.
Love Gun
GoodOldAgs
BTKAG97 said:

Meximan said:

ironmanag said:

Bwaahaahaaahaaahaa

Ummm...no. It's short for troglodyte.
CrottyKid
AG
The problem is not coaching I.Q.. It is the way the entire program is run.
Post removed:
by user
No Ag Tag Ag
Yes he can coach. We are looking for "coach well". We need more than what Jackie accomplished here.
Lateralus Ag
AG
I was watching my son's JH team tonight. Our team was up 8-6 with 4:00 to go in the 4th.

We had the ball and guess what our coach did? He made the qb wait until there was only 3 seconds on the play clock to snap the ball.

He ran the ball every down and never even thought about throwing a pass (we run a version of the spread: shotgun snap every play, etc).

Guess what? We won, 8-6. The other team was out of time outs and we made 3 first downs.

Seems our JH coach has more sense than a $5MM a year coach at an SEC school.

Now, after watching Nichols and UCLA, if you say Sumlin "can coach" I have to question whether or not you are senile.
TexasAggie_97
AG
aggiedad55 said:

According to the article on TexAgs home page, Aggie Spirit, football, power and politics: Jackie Sherrill said, "You don't have to tell Kevin Sumlin how to coach. He can coach."
He can he just sucks at it.
MicheIangeIo
AG
aggiedad55 said:

well that makes me feel better. resign him for another 5 mil
saw em off
Boiling Denim said:

Jackie is also in his 70s..my grandpa thought wrestling was real when he was that old

I'm glad I didn't have a sip of my beverage in my mouth when I read this.
aeon-ag
aggiedad55 said:

Did he say when Sumbum will start coaching???!!!
Picadillo
Sure couldn't tell it 2nd half at UCLA. Worst coaching / clock mgmt I've seen in my lifetime.
sharpdressedman
Jackie has no axes to grind. Bless him for his contribution to Aggie football.
aggiesed8r
AG
Brazos Christian?
William Larue Weller
AG
CrazyDayDuck
Defending Sumlin at this junction is like wearing an Obama tee shirt to a Trump rally.
Deputy Travis Junior
The UCLA game was literally one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of CFB. It was as close to impossible to lose as a game can get without actually being fully impossible to lose. It took ten straight minutes of inexcusable decisions, back to back to back to back, to find a way to lose it.
CrazyDayDuck
Deputy Travis Junior said:

The UCLA game was literally one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the game. That game was as close to impossible to lose as one can get without actually being impossible to lose. It took ten straight minutes of inexcusable decisions back to back to back etc.

That game was a perfect illustration of why BAS exists.

I have one coworker that is a Bama fan and another that is a Zero U alumn.

Talking football to them is as enjoying as getting kicked in the nuts.
GlendaleAg
AG
I'm not sure if Jackie's right ... the same guys who start a pro-sumlin thread are the first to biyatch: "not another coaching thread" ... seems we've indirectly proven them to be mutually exclusive
Agsuffering@bulaw
Coaches get emotional when other coaches get fired. It probably brings back bad memories, no matter how richly deserved.

I remember Corso lamenting when the sips fired Mackovic. Corso said that the sips were firing him for personality differences, but that they were not likely to do much better. Boy, was he wrong!

Earlier in the article, Jackie says:

Quote:

"Whether or not Sumlin is the right guy or the wrong guy, I don't get involved in that, but I think the timing was awfully poor for the coach,"..."That puts extreme pressure on him. And then losing a game he obviously should have won?

So earlier in the article, Jackie will not say whether we should fire Sumlin. Its like people saying "Fran was a good coach, just not right for A&M." What it really means is "Fran could beat the hell out of D2, but could not hang with superior coaches like Stoops, Leach, Les Miles, Brown, etc."

I submit that Jackie knows full well that Sumlin is not getting it done. Jackie knows that Sumlin needs to go, but resented Buzbee going public. Even great ones like Jackie are not immune from coach emotion.
Schrute
Quote:

"Whether or not Sumlin is the right guy or the wrong guy, I don't get involved in that, but I think the timing was awfully poor for the coach,"..."That puts extreme pressure on him. And then losing a game he obviously should have won?
Good!!! And it should!!
ashley
It's simple, as a former coach at the same university Sherrill is not going to comment negatively about the current coach.
We won't know what he really thinks.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.