Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

'75 A&M/tu highlights

3,227 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CyberWCM
aTmneal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really miss teams running the triple option schemes, btw.

GoodOldAgs
k
TAMU74
AG
Was at that game.
Great times.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
OP should be a Ga Tech fan.
Franz Joseph
I was there as well. Sat on the 50 yard line as a student. One of the best games ever!
Bobaloo
Often wondered what would have happened at A&M if we had stuck with Emory Bellard for the long term.
FishingAggie
Pretty cool.

Lol " join the Aggie club" was at the bottom of the scoreboard

It was a good game. The speed of the game is so much faster. The kids speed these days have eliminated a lot of plays jus because they dont have time to develop.

Very cool video. Thanks for posting.
95_Aggie
AG
and then the next week

Come Out Roll
AG
I was at the tu game....
knocked out Akins and Campbell (I think).....great day to be an Ag!!
Rearview
AG
The QB is under center. crazy!
75AG
AG
Bobaloo said:

Often wondered what would have happened at A&M if we had stuck with Emory Bellard for the long term.
Can't stick with a coach when he quits mid-season.
inozips
AG
"Come Out" you are right Akins did get injured and they knocked out Mike Jay. Will go to my grave believing we lost a National Title shot for moving the Arkansas game after tu for TV money. These boys were done once they beat tu, hardly showed up at the Liberty Bowl either. USC pasted us 20-0. We were ranked #2 going to the Arky game. Leave the schedule alone we beat the Piggie People, win the Cotton Bowl - National Champs.
RockinAg76
AG
I was there too!! It was awesome! Thanks for posting!
agnatgas
AG
Hire the Navy coach!
powderlyag
AG
I should remember but when Mike jay got hurt, was #25 David shipman, the highly rated able from Odessa permian
powderlyag
etexorange
inozips said:

"Come Out" you are right Akins did get injured

His knee was already injured and the Aggie defender went for his injured knee.
MB19
AG
inozips said:

"Come Out" you are right Akins did get injured and they knocked out Mike Jay. Will go to my grave believing we lost a National Title shot for moving the Arkansas game after tu for TV money. These boys were done once they beat tu, hardly showed up at the Liberty Bowl either. USC pasted us 20-0. We were ranked #2 going to the Arky game. Leave the schedule alone we beat the Piggie People, win the Cotton Bowl - National Champs.
Context is also important for our younger readers. They have to realize that TAMU and televised football was an entirely different proposition back then. You had one a game a week on tv more or less. Add in that A&M was much smaller and needed the money, the decision by Bellard in the spring of 1975 to switch the Arkansas game for TV money made enormous sense. Bellard later admitted that moving the game was a mistake on his part.That said, looking at the video posted, one wonders what might have occurred had the Aggies gotten an early lead that day on the Pigs, instead of turning it over and missing a FG (I believe).
chick79
AG
I was there. My freshman year. One of the best games ever!
OldArmy71
AG
My father '44 and I were there. That was the first time he had seen us beat tu in person.
W
AG
no doubt the 75 game turned the series.

prior to that A&M had only beaten t.u. 3 times in 34 years
aeon-ag
75AG said:

Bobaloo said:

Can't stick with a coach when he quits mid-season.
He was already slated to be fired at the end of the season, a done deal. An inside source told Bellard and he resigned in mid season.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Wait, how was playing with such defensive intensity possible without a DJ spinning "culturally-relevant music", turnover trash cans and every first down being announced???
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
TAMU74
AG
powderlyag said:

I should remember but when Mike jay got hurt, was #25 David shipman, the highly rated able from Odessa permian
I believe that is correct. Don't recall him having that notable of a career at A&M.
We had some great, I mean really outstanding players on that team.
#1 in the nation in Total Defense.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
First off, I enjoy these old videos. It's cool to see where football was before my time. On the other hand it really makes me appreciate the game today. I'm glad I'm able to watch offenses spread the ball all over the field and use the athleticism of their players. The triple option is hard for me to watch. You never quite know who has the ball and it's a constant mashing in the middle of the field. I can't believe Army and Georgia Tech still run variations of this scheme.
Picadillo
With the Wishbone, you knew mid-way thru the first quarter if you were going to win the game or not. The key play was fullback up the middle. If he could get 3 or 4 yards consistently, the rest of the options would work really well and opponent had no hope in stopping it. I had seen games where the Aggies had the ball nearly an entire quarter.

On the other hand, if we were behind, it was frustrating to watch us trying to play catch up.
TexAgs91
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

k
Way to get that post count up!
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Cobra39
etexorange said:

inozips said:

"Come Out" you are right Akins did get injured

His knee was already injured and the Aggie defender went for his injured knee.
Somebody's butt hurt,

You won't even let us have our first win in x years without this drivel?

Cobra39
GoodOldAgs
TexAgs91 said:

GoodOldAgs said:

k
Way to get that post count up!
agwin12
AG
Still have the SI issue with Bubba Bean on the cover. Caption read: "Bubba Bean Shreds Texas"
"A life lived for others is a life worthwhile" - Albert Einstein
Franz Joseph
I am still upset about that punt return by Tex. Rayburn Claiborne returned it for a TD. They clipped big time. I saw it live, and have never forgotten about it. See the attached video.
CyberWCM
Also saw that game in person. Crowd was electric. Great assembly of defensive talent on that team. Robert Jackson got major props for stuffing the Tyler Rose all day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.