Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Frank Wilson update (article)

8,938 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmellba99
AnalogyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really think he exudes confidence, calmness, and leadership. here's fun read on his young backup QB's not-so-stellar debut. He has fun with it and also shows he has his back.

also read down at bottom re timing pre-game snaps and "charting". He is reportedly a very detailed man. Love how he made game time decision based on his observations- that is a coach tuned into his team and hands on. Not afraid to deviate from the plan.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/utsa/amp/UTSA-has-total-belief-in-backup-QB-despite-12207013.php
Amarillo Slim
No Ag Tag Ag
Good I hope he stays at UTSA for many, many years.
ffco
"You have to stand up (and be accountable) and he did that," Wilson said. "But some things weren't all his fault. On the interception (for a touchdown) the ball was under-thrown, but he was under pressure. If the guy gets blocked, Bryce is able to step into that throw and complete it. And the receiver needs to come back for the ball."

Seems like such a simple thing, but when a coach can convey the interconnectivity in success and failure without being worried about hurting feelings...that's a good sign.

champagnepapi
Get him now
runontexas
AG
Franklin Damn Wilson!
Gladiator-91
AG
Fools gold. Don't fall for it.
Schrute
Gladiator-91 said:

Fools gold. Don't fall for it.
What makes you say that?
Gladiator-91
AG
His resume and lack of HC experience.
AnalogyAg
yes, it would be nice to get some thoughtful comments. ive heard some nays re lack of proven HC results, and that's legit.

If there are other specific criticisms or concerns, they would be welcome.

I have yet to come across one negative comment from LSU fans, while ive seen numerous ones feom Tiger fans hoping we keep our hands off.
TMartin
Just like getting Sumlin from a small conference and giving him 6 years of OJT. Does Mrs. Wilson have a Twitter account?
Schrute
I understand the thought of getting someone that has "proven himself" as a HC. However, I do think there is a positive in getting someone with "something to prove". Frank Wilson seems like he'd be the perfect guy if we went with the latter.
knoxtom
Problem with getting a "proven" coach is that if they have proven themselves, they won't come to A&M.

The names that get thrown around on this site are ludicrous.
AnalogyAg
Quote:

You can read, right? Look at his resume, always around losing/failing programs.

Yes, Gladiator, I read where he was Assistant Head Coach and Recruiting Coordinator at LSU from 2010-2015 when they were 61-17 and runner up National Champs.

I also read where he took over a 3 win team last year and led them to their first bowl game ever in yr1, and is 3-0 this year.

I also read this:
Quote:

Wilson was head football coach at O. Perry Walker High School in New Orleans, Louisiana from 2001 to 2003. While at O. Perry Walker, Wilson led the Chargers to the 2002 Class 4A state finals. He was honored by the NFL as the 2002 Coach of the Year for the state of Louisiana and was voted as the Louisiana Class 4A Coach of the Year by his fellow coaches. Wilson also was a 2002 Nike National Coach of the Year finalist.

Wilson served as Director of Athletics for the New Orleans Public School System in 2004.

Prior to taking the UTSA job, Wilson had been running backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Louisiana State University under head coach Les Miles since 2010.[5] Wilson had also served as the associate head coach for the Tigers.

In 2011, Rivals.com named Wilson the National Recruiter of the Year.[6] In 2014, NFL.com named Wilson the top recruiter in all of college football.[7][8] In 2015, Scout.com honored Wilson as the SEC Recruiter of the Year.[9] In 2015, LSU secured a Top 5 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. The achievement marked the first time since 2002-03 that LSU finished with back-to-back Top 5 recruiting classes in America.

Honestly dont understand where anything negative is- maybe im ignorant of something you see.

Any event, he'll likely be an SEC head coach one day if he wants- the question is when and where.
BanderaAg956
Gladiator-91 said:

His resume and lack of HC experience.

Yea, all the Sumlin, Fran, and Sherman head coaching experience did such a great job! Let's get a lot more of that success!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
AnalogyAg
The reality is that other than a very few coaches, there are no guarantees. I understand wanting to hire someone with a long HC record, but I think it comes down more to really finding the "right" guy for your particular program. HC experience being just one factor.

Reasons I like FW: 9 years SEC experience; great recruiter in LA; high school experience which should translate well to Texas HS recruiting; per LSU reports and UTSA, appears to be a great disciplinarian, teacher, administrator, manager of alumni relations.

And his attention to detail and hands on approach to team appears out of this world. Seems like a natural born leader.

BanderaAg956
Nice read, great to see a coach that understands accountability!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
njohn87
AG
It's likely the BMA's are going to go after someone more "proven", but OP's sentiment is correct, he's going to be at a P5 in very short order, and he's going to be tremendous.
fieldtrailer
AG
He would be the type of coach you consider once you have exhausted the homerun hire type search. His salary would be back down to where Sumlin and co should be. If he does well, then reward him.
MaxPower
Ah yes, I forgot its the San Antonio BMA's turn to eff up our program. Dallas must be the next go round. Where is the Picard face palm when you need it?
trm94
AG
He's the next coach at LSU if I had to guess.
gA_CMAB_FA
Frank Wilson has "Coaching Star" written all over him.

The only thing that will hold him back is lack of admin and booster support wherever he goes.
cevans_40
AG
I think he should be on our list. Right behind Mullen.
Phoenix1
Head coaching record- 6-7. NO.
runontexas
AG
UTSA has an argument for being the best football team in the state. Frank Wilson will be next years coach at A&M. #GIGEM #BIRDSUP Unite!!!
AnalogyAg
Phoenix1 said:

Head coaching record- 6-7. NO.

now THERE'S quite the analysis! (btw, your numbers are wrong if it matters....)
MaxPower
Forget his record, he has literally beaten NO ONE. And yes, 2017 baylol who lost to FCS and may not win a game counts as no one.
Chosen One
Here are my thoughts on Frank Wilson.

1. He is an improvement over Kevin Sumlin.

2. He was a high school coach in New Orleans and will bring a strong influence in recruiting that state.

3. He knows SEC football and what it takes to win there.

4. This one is important. If Kevin Sumlin coaches the Ags to a bowl game and gets fired, Texas A&M will catch some serious hell for firing a black head coach, and that letter will be all over the news on a national level. However, hire a black head coach as a replacement and you kill any of that.

I for one don't think this should be the case, but I know how the liberal Media works and they will create a story even if one doesn't exist.

5. Kevin Sumlin is all about SWAG, Frank Wilson is all about substance. He will be successful.

6. As a fan of the Longhorns, I hope Wilson stays in at UTSA and far away from College Station.
AnalogyAg
well, #4 would be a stupid reason, though i know youre not really pushing tjat so much as a reason as an obvious byproduct.

in reality his being black is probably a drawback, for this reason:

because of the racism of the liberal/progressive left- those individuals who see NOTHING BUT the color of a man's skin and assume that all he does and all that he endures is because of his skin, instead of his actions or the nature of life.

Screw them and hire Wilson, and if circumstances dictate, fire him. (rant over. not sure where that winky face came from!)
ABATTBQ11
AG
MaxPower said:

Forget his record, he has literally beaten NO ONE. And yes, 2017 baylol who lost to FCS and may not win a game counts as no one.

Well, UTSA generally plays nobodies because they're a bit of a nobody themselves...
MaxPower
So what is the criteria we are using then? I can find plenty of nobodies in the FCS with much better records as a HC. We going to discuss them as options as well? Why not Neal Brown at Troy or Calhoun from Air Firce?
Chosen One
I want to add one other thing.

The guy at Maryland, he looks good as a head coach, however, his team is stacked with upper-classmen, almost all the starters and second string are juniors and seniors. A coaches job is a lot easier when you are working with mature young men.

Not to take anything away from the job he's done, they walked into DKR and handed Texas their ass, but I want to see what he does when he is not dealing with so many upper-classmen.
Deputy Travis Junior
I know nothing about Frank Wilson, but hiring a guy who recruits Louisiana like a demon is interesting. Pair some Louisiana defensive talent with all the offensive talent here in Texas and you're looking at a nice roster...
GoodOldAgs
More qualified than Chad Morris
GoodOldAgs
Chosen One said:

I want to add one other thing.

The guy at Maryland, he looks good as a head coach, however, his team is stacked with upper-classmen, almost all the starters and second string are juniors and seniors. A coaches job is a lot easier when you are working with mature young men.

Not to take anything away from the job he's done, they walked into DKR and handed Texas their ass, but I want to see what he does when he is not dealing with so many upper-classmen.

We'll get to see when he plays Clemson next September
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.