Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

looking back: September 18, 1993

4,750 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ontheway
Jimi_Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On this day, SWC Aggies defeat Big 8 opponent Missouri 73-0. Talented team that went 10-2 that year. Rodney Thomas and Leeland McElroy each rushed for 3 TDs that day. Both went over the 100 yard mark as well.
Meximan
To the good ol' days.
caleblyn
Trying to get my games straight...

Is this the game where LM returned two KOs for TDs?

In the same game, there was a dedication to the Band where there were something like 5,000 former members on the field. Some really old guy collapsed and died right smack on the 50 yard line. The band stopped in mid-march and cleared the field. You could have heard a pin drop.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
That was Southern Miss in '94. Wasn't "some really old dude". He was 59. He died, yes, but was revived and lived for many more years.
94DallasAG
AG
S**t I'm old
monarch
S
Yes. Southern Miss game. Temp was high 80*s
Peace for Ukraine!
Fonzie Scheme
AG
94 was the 100th year of A&M football, so they had a Century Band march at halftime
Wabs
AG
I was there. Good times. Good times.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
I wasn't even 2 yet.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

That was Southern Miss in '94. Wasn't "some really old dude". He was 59. He died, yes, but was revived and lived for many more years.

Wasn't that the KState game in 94.
CrockerAg98
AG
Don't think we played K-State in '94.

That would have been 96, I think? When, if Connell could have held on to the damn ball, we would have kicked a fg to win?
vander54
S
caleblyn said:

Trying to get my games straight...

Is this the game where LM returned two KOs for TDs?

In the same game, there was a dedication to the Band where there were something like 5,000 former members on the field. Some really old guy collapsed and died right smack on the 50 yard line. The band stopped in mid-march and cleared the field. You could have heard a pin drop.

Discussed some in this thread

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/1064652

Sadly he passed away in early January 2016

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Former-Aggie-Band-Member-Dies-Funeral-Services-Set-287742551.html
World's worst proofreader
hamean02
AG
That was my first aggie game.
LJF78
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

Wasn't that the KState game in 94.

Correct.. we didn't play KState in '94.

And yeah remember the Mizzou game in '93 and the band guy collapsing... But yeah he didn't die
Bottlehead90
AG
Leland also ran the first two kickoffs back against Rice
agz win
AG
I was there - first deck. One of my favorite games because it was such a romp. RC was friends with the Mizzou coach and was trying NOT ti run up the score.

The weather was great - one of those perfect games where everything clicked.
champagnepapi
You guys are old.
W
AG
it was the 1993 Rice game where McElroy ran 2 kickoffs back for touchdowns
Your Mom And Them
A Mizzou player broke his leg in this game when his leg was whipped into the thighs of Rodney Thomas. It was gruesome.
NoahAg
Didn't Buckley run into the band guy and that's why he collapsed? Believe it was 1989.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

I was there. Kyle Bryant (A&M Consol teammate) kicked a 60+ yard field goal that game. It was awfully quiet when that guy went down. And it seemed much hotter than 80+ degrees.
WILDMAN95
AG
That Mizzou game was my first date with a particular chick. That was a lot of scoring.
ClassOf17
Remember it like it was yesterday
91AggieLawyer
AG
Pretty sure I watched that on TV. I know I watched the week before when we got pounded at Norman. After the OU game, we manhandled our schedule, giving up no more than 17 points (to Baylor) while scoring at least 31. That was, until the t.u. game on a cold night.
ClassOf17
91AggieLawyer said:

Pretty sure I watched that on TV. I know I watched the week before when we got pounded at Norman. After the OU game, we manhandled our schedule, giving up no more than 17 points (to Baylor) while scoring at least 31. That was, until the t.u. game on a cold night.

They had TV's back then?
rangelady
AG
Did any of you get those tapes from the Letterman's Assoc of the games? They were rush delivered on maybe Tuesday and we'd watch the game w/o any pauses between plays. It was exhausting to watch. Our oldest son turned seven that day and wore that tape out. Over and over and over. Was his favorite Ag game for several years. Bragged to people about how great that game was.
aTmneal
AG
Mule_lx
AG
THat was my first Aggie game to attend.
reineraggie09
AG
I don't believe believe LM ran 2 back against Mizzou. There was at least 1 defensive TD, believe a pick 6. The Rice game that year, I think the offense had 1-2 snaps on the first quarter and was up 14-3 thanks to LM.

My 7th BD and I used to watch that replay on VHS all of the time.
reineraggie09
AG
Yes, range lady is my mom and I didn't see her post earlier.
Iowaggie
AG
That's funny.

Tell your mom she stays up too late to post on texags.
Dr. Teeth
AG
It was also the 20 year reunion weekend for the class of 1973. So kind of awesome for them.
ABATTBQ87
AG
#86 TE Schorp has a son #86 TE Schorp on this years team
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I have some more time this morning. I was there too.

94 was my freshman year. The Southern Miss game was after we pounded OU at Kyle. Revenge for the cornholing we got in Norman in 93. 3rd deck at the OU game, we were so crammed in there, I had to turn profile and look over my shoulder to see the game.

As for Southern Miss, I remember Bryant hitting that FG, right before halftime. 61 yards into the old horseshoe. It was crazy because everybody in the north end went nuts and the rest of the stadium reacted based on that. A&M won 41-17, I believe. It was a crazy, fun way to go to halftime before the HUGE Century Band marched to commemorate the 100th year of Aggie football.

During the performance, it took quite a while for anyone to realize that something out of the ordinary was happening, much less that it was a medical emergency. After a few moments, the band stops marching and playing and an ambulance is making its way onto the field. We got off the wood and hats were being removed as the paramedics worked on Mr. Jernigan. He had graduated in the late 50s, I think, and came down from Illinois to march in the Century Band.

He was down for a long time. Of course, we found out much later (like, that night or the next day) that the man did die on Kyle Field but the medics brought him back. He spent a long time recuperating at St. Joseph in Bryan but -- as was pointed out earlier -- lived until just last year. All in all, that's definitely Top 2 quietest moments I've heard at Kyle. 94 might actually be #1, with the 99 Bonfire game at #2. Hard to say.

94 was also just a bizarre football year. On probation with no bowl or no TV. Finished 10-0-1 because -- even in the "glory" days -- we found a way to crap the bed and let SMU tie us at the Alamodome. We had a shirt that year that I saw. Didn't buy one but I sure wish I had. Maroon t-shirt...on the front it said "Play the Aggies...learn to lose". On the back it said "hey, at least it won't be televised".

That 94 season set the stage for what was supposed to be winning the final SWC title and a run at a national championship in 1995, plus a Heisman for Leeland McElroy. That lasted until Week 3 at Colorado. But, I digress.
CajunAg97
AG
I was there, and very hung over
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.