Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A note on perspective

6,041 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spherical
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nebraska fired Bo Pellini for too many 8-5 type seasons.
bigcat22
AG
he also pissed off the fans and administration
Cromagnum
AG
We did similar with RC.
biobioprof
And Nebraska just lost to Northern Illinois to fall to 1-2
BreckCO2000
AG
Looks like they found a better coach...
AG
IF YOU AIN'T FIRST YOU'RE LAST!!
gigemags-99
AG
Cromagnum said:

We did similar with RC.

Except RC was a great coach trying to compete with substandard facilities. Give him the reigns now and let's see what's up.
bigcat22
AG
Cromagnum said:

We did similar with RC.
RC did great things while at A&M, but it was his time to go.
Ragoo
AG
bigcat22 said:

do you want a coach or a statesman?
Hi, Im Brett
AG
biobioprof said:

pretty sure that was the point of this thread

Pelini never lost more than 4 games in a season at Nebraska.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Bo Pellini's regular season record (and bowl results)

8 (won bowl)
9 (won bowl
10 (lost bowl)
9 (lost bowl)
10 (lost bowl)
8 (won bowl)
9, fired before the bowl

Pellini is an abrasive guy, fired because of politics. Nebraska prefers coaches who pretend to be nice.

More importantly, he took over a program that Callahan had run into the ground. He got them winning right away and kept them winning. Leaving the BDF killed their TX recruiting, but he found ways of getting kids from CA and FL who met B1G academic standards.

Had our bigs more ballz than egos, we should hire him. He was a successful SEC DC. He would offend a lot of fans, offend a lot of Sumlin's coddled babies, and whip the ones who stayed into champions.
Bryank89
A coach
Hey Nav
AG
His brother also beat up the TexAgs camera and assaulted our beloved TexAgs CEO.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Bo was a proven asshat who even when they were winning was damaging to the program.

Sumlin has been classy the whole way. He will still be fired after too many 8-5 (or worse) seasons.

In other words, terrible comparison for whatever point you're trying to make.
Deputy Travis Junior
Sumlin is not a steady 8-4 coach in the SEC; I think it's easy to see that our trajectory is downward.

If he hadn't landed Knight last year as a transfer I think we would have struggled to make a bowl, just like we're going to this year.
Captain Awesome
Perspective isn't important here. It's about us right?
So here is us
- All the money any program could need.
- A "new" stadium
- Backing of the big cigars from the jump
- State of the art weight room
- State of the art locker room
- Some of the highest paid coaches in the country (position as well as coordinatorsome and head)
- legendary fan base.

FACT: we will be lucky to win 4 games this year.
FACT: WE RECRUIT WELL BELOW WHAT WE SHOULD FOR THE RESOURCES WE HAVE.

Who cares about Nebraska... or anyone else.
This coach has had green lights at every cross road.
What else does he need to be successful? Oh yeah, a Heisman trophy winner that he poorly assessed even then. (If he had any QB run plays in for the Florida game, we go undefeated that year. He had no idea what Johnny could do with his legs. That's bad coaching)
biobioprof
Hi, Im Brett said:

biobioprof said:

I admit that I thought OP was about why Sumlin's W-L record isn't good enough. Didn't occur to me that anyone would actually want Bo Pelini as HC here.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Bo was a proven asshat who even when they were winning was damaging to the program.

Sumlin has been classy the whole way. He will still be fired after too many 8-5 (or worse) seasons.

The point is that firing a coach without having someone better to take over is moronic. Did you really not catch that? It wasn't subtle at all.
biobioprof
Perspective is overrated

Hi, Im Brett
AG
biobioprof said:

Hi, Im Brett said:

biobioprof said:

I admit that I thought OP was about why Sumlin's W-L record isn't good enough. Didn't occur to me that anyone would actually want Bo Pelini as HC here.

I took it more of a 'be careful what you wish for' type comment. Not an actual Pelini endorsement.
Ragoo
AG
Champ Bailey said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

The point is that firing a coach without having someone better to take over is moronic. Did you really not catch that? It wasn't subtle at all.
exavtly. The decision by the Nebraska leaderships has been a failure.
Ragoo
AG
Hi, Im Brett said:

biobioprof said:

Hi, Im Brett said:

biobioprof said:

I took it more of a 'be careful what you wish for' type comment. Not an actual Pelini endorsement.

bingo. Most here thought get the decision was wrong at the time. Proving to be correct opinion.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Champ Bailey said:

OldShadeOfBlue said:

Yep, I get it now. I read it as another fire Sumlin thread. Not a grass is greener thread.
angus55
Perspective- it's ****ing year 6 of the Sumlin error. tu and methlahoma were both down while we were riding high on JFF coat tails yet we couldn't take advantage of dick and are rebuilding in year ****ing 6
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

RC did great things while at A&M, but it was way past his time to go.
FIFY
aggiehawg
AG
Ragoo said:

bigcat22 said:

do you want a coach or a statesman?
Isn't there a happy middle ground between a good coach who is a completely crappy human being and a statesman? Pelini had anger management issues, not to mention a drug habit like his brother.

Where is Bo coaching again??
BreckCO2000
AG
Good point. A&M should hire him!
DifferenceMaker Ag
Quote:

A note on perspective

Memphis beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl in a 4th quarter shootout.

HTH.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Quote:

A note on perspective

HTH.

Didn't Memphis beat Ole Miss last year too? What's their coaches background?
halfastros81
AG
The guy that built that is now at va tech, is he not?
DifferenceMaker Ag
Champ Bailey said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Quote:

A note on perspective

HTH.

I think you are having a very hard time understanding that we are a bad football team for the 6th year of a coach's tenure. That's the actual reality that we are dealing with. If the coaches at Memphis have proven themselves to be superior to ours not only against UCLA this year, but against Ole Miss last year, that is one of the worst indictments possible against our entire program. While I really like Sumlin as a person, he has proven beyond every shadow of a doubt that he is not capable of leading a major college program to success. He has literally squandered every imaginable advantage that any coach could ever dream of having. If you cannot see that, then I don't know what to say to you.
aggiehawg
AG
halfastros81 said:

The guy that built that is now at va tech, is he not?
Yes. Fuente took over for Beamer.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Champ Bailey said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Quote:

A note on perspective

HTH.

I think you are having a very hard time understanding that we are a bad football team for the 6th year of a coach's tenure. That's the actual reality that we are dealing with. If the coaches at Memphis have proven themselves to be superior to ours not only against UCLA this year, but against Ole Miss last year, that is one of the worst indictments possible against our entire program. While I really like Sumlin as a person, he has proven beyond every shadow of a doubt that he is not capable of leading a major college program to success. He has literally squandered every imaginable advantage that any coach could ever dream of having. If you cannot see that, then I don't know what to say to you.

The **** are you talking about man? I'm just saying I'm impressed by a no name program that has beaten two relatively big names in CFB in the past two years, and wondering who the coach at that program is. I'm saying nothing about our own program.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Champ Bailey said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Champ Bailey said:

DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Quote:

A note on perspective

HTH.

The **** are you talking about man? I'm just saying I'm impressed by a no name program that has beaten two relatively big names in CFB in the past two years, and wondering who the coach at that program is. I'm saying nothing about our own program.
Seemed to me that you're just letting it be known that anyone who is tired of enduring current sorry state of affairs within our program can be ascribed the following qualities:

Quote:

This is all they have. Most of them are out of shape, their wives don't sleep with them anymore, and work at dead-end jobs. Their kids constantly make fun of them for not being cool. This is literally what makes them feel successful.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I said that and it's true. But in this thread, I'm genuinely interested in who Memphis's head coach is, as he has beaten both UCLA and Ole Miss in the past 2 years.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.