Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Gameday Experience Task Force

23,143 Views | 186 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aflleo
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ALSO SEE THE 20 SEPT UPDATE ON PAGE 4.................

FYI from a Sam Torn post on the Liucci page here:

"By way of introduction, I am the chairman of the Game Day Experience Task Force. I previously represented our donors and fans on a volunteer basis through overseeing the redevelopment of Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park, overseeing the planning and construction of the Davis Player Development Center and the R.C. Slocum Nutrition Center, the redevelopment of the Klein Football Locker Room and the Nye Academic Center, and most recently serving as the co-chair of the Kyle Field Redevelopment Committee, the chair of The Campaign for Kyle Field and a member of the Kyle Field Construction Committee. In January, I was asked by Frosty Gilliam, the chairman of the 12th Man Foundation, with the approval of Athletic Director, Scott Woodward, to chair a task force in partnership with the athletic department to look at our game day experience and provide recommendations for enhancement. I want to provide you, a significant segment of our fan base, an explanation of the Task Force and an opportunity for immediate constructive feedback regarding some of our efforts. Here are the most prominent questions we have received along the way so far:

WHAT IS THE GAME DAY EXPERIENCE TASK FORCE?
The GDETF is a joint initiative between the 12th Man Foundation and the Athletic Department formed to study the Aggie Game Day Experience in ALL aspects.

WHY WAS IT FORMED?
When Kyle Field was redeveloped there were 5 goals. Two of the goals were to:
1. Provide a superior customer experience
2. Make sure we had the most intimidating environment possible in order to give us the best chance to WIN on the field.
The GDETF was formed to study those 2 specific goals and, if necessary, make recommendations to ensure our ability to reach those goals.

WHO IS INVOLVED?
The GDETF consists of a cross section of Aggies. There are 11 different work groups comprised of around 100 people studying all aspects of the Game Day Experience throughout game week both inside and outside the stadium. Two of the work groups are dedicated to the Student Experience and the Football Team Perspective (which includes panels of current players and coaches).

WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
Since January, the 11 work groups have been meeting and defining the major elements of their areas, the strengths and weaknesses therein, and making recommendations for adjustments, if needed. Some of the recommendations are being implemented in 2017. Some will not be implemented until 2018. In addition, the GDETF is doing "best practices" visits to 9 iconic college football venues to analyze what they do and whether anything is adaptable to our unique traditions and environment. Finally, at the conclusion of the 2017 season a survey will be conducted of:
1. All season ticket holders
2. A representative cross section of current students
3. Frequent single game ticket buyers
4. Targeted group of lapsed season ticket holders
Final Recommendations of the GDETF will be based on all of the above.

WERE THERE ANY ASSUMPTIONS GOING IN?
Only one. Texas A&M has a unique game day experience unlike any other in the country that has been, and always will be, driven by THE STUDENTS. It is important that we enhance our uniqueness, not change it.

SPEAKING OF STUDENTS, HOW DID YOU ENGAGE THE CURRENT FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND WHAT DID THEY TELL YOU?
We first interviewed Coach Sumlin who was extremely cooperative and supportive. He then assigned members of his staff to ongoing engagement in the GDETF. A cross section of players were interviewed. Here is what we learned, in general, from the coaches and the players:

1. They love the connection they have with our fans, particularly the students. It was one of the selling points in their ultimate decision to become Aggies.
2. With regard to the In Stadium Experience:
a. In general, they think Kyle Field on game day is unique and our fans are very supportive.
b. They love the team entrance before kickoff. (The coaches expressed a desire for something to occur between the team entrance and kickoff to keep the energy level high).
c. The defensive players told us that "sustained disruptive noise" was the most important thing to them. They also said that at other venues it was deflating and annoying when they were reminded that the opponent's offense was succeeding.
d. The offensive players told us they got fired up when the crowd recognized their success with targeted noise.
e. The players said an entire stadium waving 12th Man towels was intimidating to the opponent and motivating to the team.
f. They told us that "current, culturally relevant music" is motivating and also good for recruiting.

WHAT DID THE GDETF DO TO ENHANCE THE IN-GAME ENVIRONMENT TO ADDRESS THE GOAL OF CREATING THE MOST INTIMIDATING ENVIRONMENT IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL:

1. We recognized that success on the field is the number one driver in fan engagement and excitement. This is obvious, but it is mentioned because a part of the uniqueness of the Texas A&M football experience
has always been support for the team regardless of circumstances. Although championships are the ultimate goal and we should never settle for mediocrity, support for the Aggies on the field does not fall off during the tough times, but rather is a visible sign of the loyalty, encouragement and respect for our team and the 18-22 year old college students that are doing what they are asked to do to help us win.
2. We recognized that 35,000 students are the key to not only our uniqueness but our intimidation. We also recognized that students today are not exactly the same as students were years ago. Their core values are the same, their love for our university is the same, but what motivates students, captures their interest, commands their time and drives their student experience is not exactly the same as it was years ago.
3. We determined that our "in game experience" had become too scripted and that the yell leaders and band were not being allowed to have the impact they could have because they were told what to do and when to do it.
4. We determined that visiting schools were not tied to our script and were being allowed to insert their influence when our fan base was being asked to sit on their hands and watch too many sponsored segments on the video board. (The Tennessee game last year is a good example of this).
5. We recognized that, because of the stadium configuration and their specific location in the stands, the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band could not be heard well in certain parts of the stadium and was, in fact, at times drowned out by the opposing band.
6. We recognized that, in today's college football world where every game is televised, there are at least 12 timeouts - all lasting 2-3 minutes - which means there is dead time within a game that cannot always be filled with organized yells or music from the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

7. ACCORDINGLY, WE RECOMMENDED THE FOLLOWING SPECIFIC STEPS:

A. REMOVAL THE SCRIPT FROM THE YELL LEADERS AND THE BAND They can now do what they want, when they want, as the game flow dictates.
B. AMPLIFICATION OF THE BAND so that they can be heard throughout the stadium and, when necessary, overpower the opposing team's band. We will be making volume adjustments each game to determine the best volume level.
C. ADDING A MUSIC OPERATOR He has been given specific instructions that he is completely secondary to the yell leaders and the band and should not engage if they are engaged. We will continue to work to ensure proper coordination.
D. ADDING THE UNIFIED "FIRST DOWN" YELL AFTER EVERY AGGIE FIRST DOWN This was done specifically to address input from the players mentioned above.
E. EXTEND "POWER" DURING THE TEAM ENTRANCE AND ADDED 3 BEAT THE HELL YELLS AFTER THE WAR HYMN This was done to address the coaching staff's request to keep the crowd motivated right up to kickoff.
F. ASK THE BAND TO PLAY THE WAR HYMN AT THE END OF THE 1ST QUARTER AS WELL AS THE END OF THE 3RD QUARTER- This was done because opposing players have mentioned that 102,000 Aggies sawing varsity's horns off is very intimidating.
G. IMPLEMENTED A CONTEMPORARY MUSIC SEGMENT PRECEEDING THE 2ND HALF KICKOFF- This was done because the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band is not yet in the stands and it is important
to reengage the fan base for the beginning of the 2nd half.
H. REDUCE THE NUMBER OF SPONSORED SEGMENTS SHOWN ON THE VIDEO BOARD This was done to allow more spontaneity and sustained momentum and energy when appropriate.

WHAT FEEDBACK DID YOU RECEIVE REGARDING THESE ADJUSTMENTS AFTER THE FIRST HOME GAME?
In general, the feedback was mixed, but mostly positive. There are still adjustments to be made, and we recognize that not everybody is going to like everything.

WHAT ABOUT THE "FIRST DOWN" THING?
That's a fair question. It was instituted specifically in response to the current football players telling us that the offense is motivated when the crowd recognizes their success and the defense is annoyed and it can be deflating when they are reminded that the other team has succeeded. The football team liked it, but they also understand our uniqueness and don't want to ever lose that. We will continue to tweak and evaluate its purpose and effect.

WHAT ABOUT THE MUSIC OPERATOR? IS THAT WHO WE REALLY WANT TO BE?
Remember, we are trying to enhance the in-game atmosphere in order to help us WIN. Current students have told us that the use of contemporary "trap" music helps in that regard. Equally as important, the players told us that contemporary music is very motivating to both players and recruits. We have made it very plain to the music operator, to the yell leaders, to the band, and to the football team that the music operator must be completely secondary to the yell leaders and band. The yell leaders are now controlling the game. If we are doing a yell or the band is playing, the music operator is to fade out or not begin. We still have work to do to make sure the coordination is what it needs to be and to achieve the proper balance so as not to become something we are not.

WHAT ABOUT THE SECOND GOAL OF THE TASK FORCE, TO PROVIDE A PREMIER CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE? WHAT IS THE GDETF DOING IN THAT REGARD?
Quite frankly, way too many things to mention in this epistle of a post, and more will be coming in 2018. Our 11 work groups are looking at the following areas:

Student Experience
Football Team Perspective
Midnight Yell Practice and other Friday Events
Pre-Game Outside Stadium
Pre-Game Inside Stadium
In Game -In Stadium (see above)
Parking, Traffic, Transportation and Welcome
Technology
Customer Experience (including sound and food)
Tailgating
Communications

TWO OF THE BIGGEST COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN REGARDING SOUND AND LEVY? WHAT ARE YOU RECOMMENDING?
During the off season the original Kyle Field Construction Committee, led by the Chancellor's office, looked at every complaint regarding sound that had been registered. We spent $660,000 addressing those issues including the addition of new speakers, new software technology, re-positioning of speakers, etc. We had sound engineers located throughout the stadium against Nicholls State. Early returns have been very favorable except for in the suite area. We still have work to do in the suite area and constant tweaking throughout the stadium will continue.

Since last football season the Athletic Department, the 12th Man Foundation and other university representatives have been meeting with Levy weekly to address the legitimate concerns that have arisen.
Levy is committed to working with the university to provide reasonable quality, service and value to our fans.They have made numerous adjustments this year including increased training, more efficient concession line control, quality control measures and, thanks to President Young, the initiation of $2 water and the family value pack. Are they perfect? No. Will they ever be perfect? No, save One, who is? Do they need to continue to improve? Absolutely.
Levy is a long-term university partner and the GDETF will make recommendations that we hope will enable them to adequately serve the needs of Aggies at athletic events.

That is the GDETF is a nutshell. I can tell you that over 100 people have put in literally thousands of hours in this endeavor. The work is ongoing. As for me, I am a fan, just like you, who loves my school and wants nothing more than for us to succeed at the highest level and for all Aggies to have an amazing experience. I was asked to do a job and I am doing it just like when I was asked to lead the charge on Blue Bell Park and Kyle Field. I, along with the entire Task Force, welcome your engagement, questions, constructive comments and your input. I would ask that you not get personal. We are all passionate about Texas A&M which is what makes us special. Let's keep our dialogue constructive. I look forward to your comments. GIG 'EM"
SidetrackAg
AG
1. Win football games
KidDoc
AG
I know many people seem up in arms about the DJ but, despite suboptimal play on the field, I thought the band and yell leaders were MUCH more active last weekend than in the past five years. There still is some work to be done with the DJ balancing time with the band & yell leaders as sometimes he would start music and have to cut if off in preference of the yell leaders & band.

I'm sure other people disagree and that is fine but kudos I think it was much better with less dead time and less random awards and gigatron announcements.

I'm Class '95 for reference, my wife Class '94 agrees. Kiddos are Class 2016 and now 2021.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
redd38
AG
DJ?

Oooh, you mean the Senior Music Operations Engineer!
YankAg13
AG
Really awesome that all of this is being looked at in such detail, with so much engagement with the team and fans! I'm really impressed.
skrockit88
AG
Great information....thanks for sharing.
Dr. Horrible
One game in and I'm happy with the changes, but mostly happy that they still see the room for improvement. I definitely noticed the improvement about how often the band played, and that was welcome. The one time I had a beef with it was they didn't cut off early enough coming out of a time out when we were on offense. They need to be able to stop right then and there and not finish out their verse or whatever.
67walkon
Pull your heads out your ass Sam. You have the greatest game day environment in the country and you are trashing it with rap music and Pimp sticks.
The A&M experience is about 100,000 in the stands and hundreds of thousands of others watching and listening. People envy and are jealous of what we have. You and you far left friends Sharp, young and Woodard are turning fans off not I inspiring them.. if I wanted to hear rap music I would go to some strip bar down a dark alley in Houston. Make Aggieland great Again. Fire the very mediocre coach and quit screwing with Aggie traditions. Carry on Classmate
Jarrin' Jay
AG
GET RID OF THE "FIRST DOWN" HIGH SCHOOL BIT.

Might as well be in Lubbock.

It is EMBARASSING.

We recognize and support the offense with the drum cadence after first down as well as cheers and wildcatting from the fans.

We don't need to do that first down bit after we run for 2 yards on 3rd and 1, and when we do have a big play for a first down there is plenty of cheering and support.

I can't believe it was EVER thought to be a good idea to do the First Down bit.

He'll have the band play the cadence then show Red Cashion on the video board with his patented FIRST DAAOOOOWN call. ANYTHING other than what we tried vs Nichols.

Please.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
A++++ on the band and Yell Leaders.

A+ on the added music.

A+ on more 12th Man Towels.

If you want to keep the energy up between entrance and kickoff play highlights of great plays with a countdown and some aggressive music (not rap...) leading up to KO.

Most of the improvements were good to very good. The first down thing is just terrible and doesn't need to be reviewed or tweaked or evaluated.... it just need to be dumped, immediately, before ULL, and forgotten entirely.
GetThoseKeysMilo
That game was a ton better than it has been in a long time in terms of crowd involvement. Yes, there may need to be some tweaks, but I think this fact that they formed a committee and made changes shows that they really are listening. Really like the explanation.

People want to whine about the negatives, but I will absolutely say that the experience looked a lot better than a bunch of people staring at the screen during every time out.

I'm a little more old school, I would prefer to go back to the era before they built the 12th man TV in 2006 in which we basically just did yells non stop during the dead times.

Didn't really dig the DJ, but I think at least it's better than watching another ad or a segment on TV.
William_C_G
AG
Thanks to all members of the task force for your hard work. These steps are progress!
Pro Ag
AG
Again with the TMF posting stuff to TexAgs (premium board no less) instead of interacting with season ticket holders. If they really wanted feedback from fans it wouldn't be that hard to survey us instead of forming another self-gratifying echo chamber.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
GetThoseKeysMilo said:

That game was a ton better than it has been in a long time in terms of crowd involvement. Yes, there may need to be some tweaks, but I think this fact that they formed a committee and made changes shows that they really are listening. Really like the explanation.

People want to whine about the negatives, but I will absolutely say that the experience looked a lot better than a bunch of people staring at the screen during every time out.

I agree 100%.

One other item, with these changes, one other thing that I believe most hopefully would agree should be implemented. We need to sing BOTH verses of the War Hymn. The first verse is great. We aren't even in the same conference as cow any more. It's OK to still have cow reference, Yea Alabama does the same thing with former conference mates, but we should be focused on A&M first, and sing both verses...

All hail to dear old Texas A&M

Rally around Maroon and White

Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies

They are the boys who show the real old fight

That good old Aggie spirit thrills us

And makes us yell and yell and yell

So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M

We're goin' to beat you all to

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem

Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M

Jarrin' Jay
AG
Pro Ag said:

Again with the TMF posting stuff to TexAgs (premium board no less) instead of interacting with season ticket holders. If they really wanted feedback from fans it wouldn't be that hard to survey us instead of forming another self-gratifying echo chamber.

They are covering all bases.
Pro Ag
AG
Had I not come to TexAgs, I wouldn't have seen this or known anything about it. That's not covering all bases.
Btron
AG
Female cheerleaders?
pinche gringo
AG
Cell phone signal jammer
William_C_G
AG
@Btron: Ain't gonna happen. But you still have lots of options:
1. Watch the other team's cheerleaders.
2. Date a girl who would have been a cheerleader elsewhere.
3. Go to tu.
4. Elect women yell leaders.
Sheesh.
William_C_G
AG
I agree that we should sing the first verse of the War Hymn now. Leave cow behind!
74OA
AG
pinche gringo said:

Cell phone signal jammer
Spot on. Ought to be a way to de-rate Kyle's wireless capacity while the teams are on the field and then restore full capacity between quarters and at half time. Result would be far more heads up and into the game and fewer heads down fiddling with smart phones.
GoodOldAgs
Jarrin' Jay said:

A++++ on the band and Yell Leaders.

A+ on the added music.

A+ on more 12th Man Towels.

If you want to keep the energy up between entrance and kickoff play highlights of great plays with a countdown and some aggressive music (not rap...) leading up to KO.

Most of the improvements were good to very good. The first down thing is just terrible and doesn't need to be reviewed or tweaked or evaluated.... it just need to be dumped, immediately, before ULL, and forgotten entirely.

Or sing SOA
(Removed:11023A)
AG
67walkon said:

Pull your heads out your ass Sam. You have the greatest game day environment in the country and you are trashing it with rap music and Pimp sticks.
The A&M experience is about 100,000 in the stands and hundreds of thousands of others watching and listening. People envy and are jealous of what we have. You and you far left friends Sharp, young and Woodard are turning fans off not I inspiring them.. if I wanted to hear rap music I would go to some strip bar down a dark alley in Houston. Make Aggieland great Again. Fire the very mediocre coach and quit screwing with Aggie traditions. Carry on Classmate

ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!

It is absolutely SAD that a bunch of Aggies are behind the idiocity that is Kyle Field today!! The fact that you ask a bunch of football players to have input is assenine to say the least!! These are 17-18 year olds that just got off the high school bus and haven't got a clue what A&M is about let alone what Kyle field sounds like without all the BULL **** you have added!!

Kyle field doesn't need all the clown idiocity like cheese fireworks (ala ut) when the team runs out or the smoke (again ala tu).........a DJ???? Are you kidding me?? Aggie Firet Down because the players told you it would be cool?!.......why, because their high school did it??

Kyle Field is an absolute joke today!! You took something that was not only original but quite frankly envied by other schools INCLUDING the one in Austin! We don't need gimmicky crap!!
We need a good defense, the band and a bunch of good yell leaders!! The rest you can take it and flush it down the toilet

LaTex
I personally believe we have lost what was so unique and special to to Kyle Field. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I feel like every so called improvement just takes away what was one of the best game day atmospheres. We have taken a step back in my opinion. Do away with the DJ, do away with the it's now 3rd down, and for the love of God do away with the "it's another first down". Let the band play, let the yells continue non stop, and don't force noise. Please let's get back to what made Kyle so special.
Dr. Horrible
Maybe someone can coordinate to get some old yellboys to come back and mentor these new kids on how to control the gameday environment. I think that since these kids and the classes before them had their nuts taken away, they really may not know how to really do it right.
Carmine Aggie
At the end of the day, the powers that be created a "country club" with new Kyle and a country club is what they got.

Went to the rose bowl. While the game was a kick in the balls, the experience was great. Refreshing to be in a stadium that was built where the focus was on the game.

AnalogyAg
You're on the right track.

I'm sure you saw the thread a few days ago where I suggested one game a year be Old Army where we let the 12th Man rule- with a simplified jumbotron/no rap/ no ribbon board/ no sponsor spots etc.. You could really promote that into something unique, and let the students experience real football the way it was when we ACTUALLY HAD A HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

My guess is you all dont have the courage to implement that, since a "less is more" approach means jobs are at risk and all these bells and whistles
would be shown to be gilding the lilly.

still, one can hope.

02skiag
AG
KidDoc said:

I know many people seem up in arms about the DJ but, despite suboptimal play on the field, I thought the band and yell leaders were MUCH more active last weekend than in the past five years. There still is some work to be done with the DJ balancing time with the band & yell leaders as sometimes he would start music and have to cut if off in preference of the yell leaders & band.

I'm sure other people disagree and that is fine but kudos I think it was much better with less dead time and less random awards and gigatron announcements.

I'm Class '95 for reference, my wife Class '94 agrees. Kiddos are Class 2016 and now 2021.

Well said. The game itself was so boring that some folks are looking for anything to complain about. Plus some people just like to yell at clouds regardless. The only real need for improvement is on the field.
chipotle
There's a DJ booth in Kyle Field. A ***king DJ booth. Congrats. Yall just wrote the book on what NOT to do for Aggie Game Day Atmosphere.
HortAg09
AG
We need to get rid of those ribbon boards, they are just too damn bright and distracting!
Bob Harris
As soon as someone feels a need to form a Game Day Experience Task Force, the game day experience that you knew and loved is gone forever. This is the Aggie equivalent of a TPS report.
Strategy
AG
DRUMLINE.

BRING IT BACK.

EVERY GAME.
sellthefarm
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Maybe someone can coordinate to get some old yellboys to come back and mentor these new kids on how to control the gameday environment. I think that since these kids and the classes before them had their nuts taken away, they really may not know how to really do it right.
Sam Torn is a former yell leader...so they've got that covered.
Picadillo
- Kyle Field is now an entertainment venue;

- It has lost its focus on the football being played on the field.
Win At Life
AG
chipotle said:

There's a DJ booth in Kyle Field. A ***king DJ booth. Congrats. Yall just wrote the book on what NOT to do for Aggie Game Day Atmosphere.
There's always been a DJ booth at Kyle field. It just used to be up in the press box where nobody would see him. But we've had a guy pipe in various music at various times, since I can remember. That part is not new. I could let the DJ both be (and nobody will notice it after just a few more games anyway).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.