Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bob Davie

4,171 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Elephant Ghost
zipp99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

1. Ties to A&M - check
2. Proven defenses - check.
3. Former big-time CFB coach - check.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." (Albert Einstein)

Slicer97
AG
No.

Thanks for playing though.
safety guy
AG
No.
EKUAg
AG
Can we please chill out with these type of posts until there is actually a vacancy?
Bottlehead90
AG
Is under investigation
QCAg93
AG
Please no. He was awful at Notre Dame. I never forget media asking him if he had been fired at Notre Dame. He said he was not then found out the like the next day he was fired. He benefited from Slocum's success and followed the great Lou Holtz.
Eagle78
zipp99 said:

1. Ties to A&M - check
Could care less to ties to A&M. That should not even enter into the equation. The only think we should look at is how good a prospect is as a coach.
Liquid Wrench
EKUAg said:

Can we please chill out with these type of posts until there is actually a vacancy?
Meximan
Eagle78 said:

zipp99 said:

1. Ties to A&M - check
Could care less to ties to A&M. That should not even enter into the equation. The only think we should look at is how good a prospect is as a coach.

So you do care?
MidTnAg
AG
Where is he currently coaching?
bv86ag
AG
New Mexico
Buford T. Justice
AG
The game constantly changes folks.
You can't put a 90's guy in a '17 game, and expect for him to succeed at a high-level. Stoops, Meyer and Saban are the exceptions.

Even the best have a finite time of success.
After that, its retread U.
Meximan
By the way, that was some interesting timing, OP: https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/14/new-mexico-bob-davie-investigation
rbcs_2
AG
Quote:

"I can confirm there is an investigation underway in Athletics. We are not going to comment on the details or the individuals involved until the investigation is complete," UNM spokeswoman Cinnamon Blair said in a statement.
What a name.
TripleSec
AG
EKUAg said:

What? We have a coach? Oh I thought it was just a gum chewing robot stand in.
gibbs2016
He has actually done a dang good job at New Mexico, looks to have turned them around.

That said, i'll pass.
monarch
S
I have spoken to Bob Davie 3-4 times over the years. Hell of a DC when he was here and has done a fairly good job at a difficult place to recruit to. Still, they have some NCAA issues coming down the road, and we don't need that cloud over anybody's head on this campus.
applemac_g4
Really the issue here is what level does A&M what to compete at. Does the administration and the fanbase want the sort of program Alabama, Ohio State, OU, USC have? Or do they want the kind of program Auburn has? Is the goal to compete for SEC titles on a regular basis and be part of the CFP discussion every offseason or not?

If you want to build a championship program, the list of guys you can bring in is really short. There are a lot of serviceable head coaches out there. Bob Davie is one of them. I've met him, he's a good guy, and he'll win some games. That's about the ceiling there. Great coach for a program like New Mexico or a G5...but that situation already exists in College Station.
arontc09
AG
We want a program like Alabama, tOSU, or Clemson, but I think many of us would settle for the kind of program OU, LSU, and Auburn have. Making multiple Conference Championship appearances, winning a 1 or 2 a decade, and a National Championship every decade or two would be pretty nice. Plus, with the playoff, an SEC Championship is, by default, an NC run.
Martin87
AG
Davie should not be on anyone's wish list.
Phoenix1
Davie's tenure at Tulane- leaves as the team is being placed on NCAA probation

Davie's tenure at A&M- leaves with the team under investigation which leads to probation.

Davie's tenure at Notre Dame- Notre Dame gets first NCAA sanctions while he is head coach.

Davie's tenure at New Mexico- team under NCAA Investigation.

His head coaching record is 28-37. This isn't Barry Switzer or Jim Tressel. Why in Gods name would you want this?
aeon-ag
zipp99 said:

1. Ties to A&M - check
former big time loser coach - check
MsDoubleD81
AG
I'm old enough to remember his "glory days" at A&M, and no. We need to look to future not back.
Elephant Ghost
Investigation or not he'll look good preparing UNM to play us later this season if Nichols State is any indication of our strength playing OOC.
What an opportunity for them to cash in on the dubious accomplishment of coming into Kyle and competing in a close game and possible victory.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.