Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

mike leach

34,783 Views | 194 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sbisa Chef
C Loves L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You guys must be trapped in the early to mid 2000s

Why would you want him at A&M? Because his post game pressors are entertaining? Because he won a bunch of games 15 years ago? He hasn't done jack since leaving Lubbock. He was only successful there because at the time his offense wasn't widely used. He was a one trick pony and everyone has learned that trick since. His offense is no longer catching teams of guard.

Please stop with the Leach bs!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
He wants to come here. I have sources.
Jimbos Plaque
AG
Mike Leach isn't sumlin, and he wins football games. He is an entertaining guy, and I think he is a great fit here. Plus, he is the kind of guy who will come here just to spite Tceh. I'd like to see an air raid offense in the SEC. He doesn't take any crap from anyone, and tells it like it is.
The Debt
Op, do you realize WSU was the perennial basement dweller of the PAC? And since has been there they have competed for division championships WITH northeastern, hackysack recruits.

He squeezes juice from a turnip to get players to perform. He did it at TTU, now he's doing it in WSU. The dude can coach.

Give him a program that can get three years of Top 25 recruits and he will make the playoffs.
C Loves L
He's in season #6 at Wash St and currently 31-34. I'm not impressed. He's also in his "prime" at age 56. I would expect more than what's he's given lately
Phoenix1
Not saying it's not a wise move (I actually like it as much if not better than the other names thrown around here) but if your looking for a better defense forget it.
El Chingon
AG
+ 1 for the Pirate. All I know is that he does more with less. Perhaps we should try something different for once.
C Loves L
The Debt said:

Op, do you realize WSU was the perennial basement dweller of the PAC? And since has been there they have competed for division championships WITH northeastern, hackysack recruits.

He squeezes juice from a turnip to get players to perform. He did it at TTU, now he's doing it in WSU. The dude can coach.

Give him a program that can get three years of Top 25 recruits and he will make the playoffs.

What he did while at tceh was due to an offense he ran that no program saw other than when they played tceh. That's not the case anymore. His offense is equivalent to what the option was in the late 90s. Worked great when it first came out but it's old news now
The Debt
Three seasons of rebuilding yielded 12-24 (7-20).

2015-2016: 16-8 (13-5). Got pac-12 coty in 2015.

Oh and hes 2-0 in 2017, both against ranked opponents. You're right, he is awful.
riverrataggie
AG
Champ Bailey said:

I've heard through sources he wants to come here as well.
OrygunAg
AG
What about your fat little girlfriends?
C Loves L
Since he arrived at Washington. His noticable losses are the following
Utah (blown out!)
Rutgers
Nevada
Portland St
Eastern Washington
Colorado St

He did however managed to win his pillow fight with Eastern Washington the first time he faced them 24-20
The Debt
C(raig James) loves L(ate hookers)
C Loves L
While at tceh he got spanked in some garbage bowl games and lost a game to... New Mexico
The Debt
Cool story CJ
cr
Champ Bailey said:

Are you being facetious?

lib = liar /titan
cr
C Loves L said:

While at tceh he got spanked in some garbage bowl games and lost a game to... New Mexico

Suppose Leach gets his teeth kicked in 20% of his bowl games, but kicks A in the other 80%, and loses a game or two to inferior competition over the course of decade. That does not sound like a bad trade off.
Post removed:
by user
Agsuffering@bulaw
Washington St. is the PAC equivalent of Iowa State. Very few coaches have sustained success there. Previous coaches:

(skipping the ones not there for 4 years, Dennis Erickson did 2 years, Jackie 1)
Paul Wulff, 9-40 (4-32)
Bill Doba, 30-29, 17-25
Mike Price, 83-78 (49-63)
Jim Walden 44-52-4 (28-39-3)
Jim Sweeney 26-59-1

That takes us back to 1968. Doba took over a decent team. They won 10 his first year, his last winning season.

8 of Price's 14 seasons saw losing records. He did finish ranked 5 of the 6 winning seasons. He is probably their greatest ever. He left to take the Bama job, but got fired a month later for getting caught at a scrip club.

Walden was there for 9 years, 6 losing seasons.

WSU is in a small, talent poor state. They must recruit CA, which means they get the recruits nobody else wants. Pullman is a 3 hour flight from LAX to Seattle, then another crop hop to Pullman. Pullman is cold and small. They play in a tiny stadium, because their fanbase does not support the program.

Seriously, they are Iowa [EDIT: forgot the "State"].
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
garc said:

Champ Bailey said:

Are you being facetious?

I'll put it this way. He would definitely entertain the idea of moving here if offered.
Al Bula
AG
TexAgAviator said:

Mike Leach isn't sumlin, and he wins football games. He is an entertaining guy, and I think he is a great fit here. Plus, he is the kind of guy who will come here just to spite Tceh. I'd like to see an air raid offense in the SEC. He doesn't take any crap from anyone, and tells it like it is.
unbelievable this post was started four times.
Agsuffering@bulaw
So, my first reaction was outrage at the idea.

Then I thought about it some more. I would be ok with it, so long as he agreed to all of the following:

1. Either Keep Chavis, or let us hire another bigtime DC;
2. Get a big $$ recruiting coordinator;
3. Keep Jim Turner;
4. Show respect for the SEC and its traditions, whatever private contempt he holds

I think he would come in here pissed off and with a chip on his shoulder. Just like Kliff, I think he would find weaknesses in the SEC's defenses and exploit them. He was asesome when he had Crabtree and a bunch of slow, fundamentally sound WRs. We would always provide him with good weapons.

cr
Champ Bailey said:

garc said:

Champ Bailey said:

Are you being facetious?

I'll put it this way. He would definitely entertain the idea of moving here if offered.

Then let's offer! Asap!

I never thought Leach would come to A&M.
cr
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Washington St. is the PAC equivalent of Iowa State. Very few coaches have sustained success there. Previous coaches:

(skipping the ones not there for 4 years, Dennis Erickson did 2 years, Jackie 1)
Paul Wulff, 9-40 (4-32)
Bill Doba, 30-29, 17-25
Mike Price, 83-78 (49-63)
Jim Walden 44-52-4 (28-39-3)
Jim Sweeney 26-59-1

That takes us back to 1968. Doba took over a decent team. They won 10 his first year, his last winning season.

8 of Price's 14 seasons saw losing records. He did finish ranked 5 of the 6 winning seasons. He is probably their greatest ever. He left to take the Bama job, but got fired a month later for getting caught at a scrip club.

Walden was there for 9 years, 6 losing seasons.

WSU is in a small, talent poor state. They must recruit CA, which means they get the recruits nobody else wants. Pullman is a 3 hour flight from LAX to Seattle, then another crop hop to Pullman. Pullman is cold and small. They play in a tiny stadium, because their fanbase does not support the program.

Seriously, they are Iowa [EDIT: forgot the "State"].

OK, this guy has put together a pretty good story here.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And regarding the Air-Raid: It is a mindset more than a system- hit the defense where it is weakest. Kliff did it with designed QB runs in addition to the passing game.

Leach threw the ball most of the time at tech because his OL were marginal athletes, recruited to pass pro. He could not recruit feature backs, so he recruited smaller APBs. The few years he had good RBs, he used them.

Leach would get Trayveon 1500 yards every year.

Leach never had a big, strong QBs like we do. Mond would probably transfer to another program that promised PT. Good riddance! Or if he stayed, Leach would make a man out of him.

Our WRs have crap fundamentals. They run sloppy routes, they drop or do not fight for the ball. Leach would fix that real quick. A few of Sumlin's babies would quit. The rest would get it together.

The more I think about it, the more i like the idea. Maybe we even base his compensation on how much better he recruits than tech and how much better he performs than tech.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

OK, this guy has put together a pretty good story here.

I have not put together anything other than the facts.

Their stadium holds 35k fans. Next worst in the PAC is Oregon St at 45k. Washington St is a worse backwater than tech. tech is only a 5 hour drive from Mesquite and the eastern parts of DFW. Mom can drive to tech to see junior play. Mom is not driving from southern cal to see junior play in pullman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Stadium

That Leach can take junk programs and make them competitive is beyond dispute. The only question is whether Leach can take a decent program and make it a champion.

I would rather have Chip Kelly, but would take Leach subject to the constraints.
cr
Yeah, but you compiled them for us.
AggieDad74
Champ Bailey said:

Highly unlikely, since he has lawsuits pending against both Texas Tech University and the State of Texas about not having been paid from there while a State employee.

If he were to hire in with TAMU, he becomes a State employee yet again ~ not being one of the most tenable legal positions to be in!

In prior interviews, he has as much related that he's done with the State of Texas!
Raggie21
The previous coach went 9-40, and the coach before that guy had only one winning season in 5 years. He's taken the PAC-12's Kansas and made them into a respectable team that looks like they could contend this year for a conference championship. I would take him in an instant.
Lungblood
He's been doing more with less his entire damn coaching career.
Lateralus Ag
AG
AggieDad74 said:

Champ Bailey said:

Highly unlikely, since he has lawsuits pending against both Texas Tech University and the State of Texas about not having been paid from there while a State employee.

If he were to hire in with TAMU, he becomes a State employee yet again ~ not being one of the most tenable legal positions to be in!

In prior interviews, he has as much related that he's done with the State of Texas!

We have about $5MM reasons a year that might change his mind.

But like I have said multiple times. We don't have the balls to hire Leach.
bigblackag12
AG
Woodward might have the balls. But will they come here?
AggieAL1
Montana State and Boise State were ranked?
C Loves L
garc said:

C Loves L said:

Suppose Leach gets his teeth kicked in 20% of his bowl games, but kicks A in the other 80%, and loses a game or two to inferior competition over the course of decade. That does not sound like a bad trade off.

You must be new around here
Lateralus Ag
AG
bigblackag12 said:

Woodward might have the balls. But will they come here?

They?

I don't know. But Leach is an egotistcal guy. I think he would relish the chance to stick it to Tech and also win in the SEC. So, yea. I think he would consider it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.