Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does he want to stay?

8,413 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by springaggie2014
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's been a lot of talk about whether he should be allowed to stay but how much does anyone think Sumlin wants to stay? Maybe he's a good actor about outside noise not bothering him but with his interviews and the public posting of that letter it sure seems like he'd rather collect his buyout and head down the road to another gig. I'd hope that's not the case as it makes for a rest of the season with a coach that's not doing everything he can to save his job. If he's smart you'd think he'd want to stay. I have a hard time believing his next stop would have comparable facilities and fanbase. But if football games are any representation I'd question his decision making.
Ex-liberalag12
Gyles Marrett said:

There's been a lot of talk about whether he should be allowed to stay but how much does anyone think Sumlin wants to stay? Maybe he's a good actor about outside noise not bothering him but with his interviews and the public posting of that letter it sure seems like he'd rather collect his buyout and head down the road to another gig. I'd hope that's not the case as it makes for a rest of the season with a coach that's not doing everything he can to save his job. If he's smart you'd think he'd want to stay. I have a hard time believing his next stop would have comparable facilities and fanbase. But if football games are any representation I'd question his decision making.
Would you want to stay the way he has been treated? And no, I'm not talking about race but support. Look at Sherman, Fran, etc..
Gyles Marrett
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Would you want to stay the way he has been treated? And no, I'm not talking about race but support. Look at Sherman, Fran, etc..
Well as a coach do you really want to go to a program that doesn't have expectations of winning?
GCP12
AG
So, it's the fault of the fan base because we're too mean? He's being paid $5 million! If he wants to leave because fans are being mean to him, he's a bigger loser than we thought.
jb6092
Gyles Marrett said:

I don't know if he would mail it in for the rest of the season, since that would impact his future coaching opportunities. My feeling is he just does not have what it takes to be a game day coach and the issues are not from lack of caring, but rather a lack of knowing.
StickTogetherAgs
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

The way he has been treated? Being one of the highest paid coaches in the country is treating him quite well, most would say

Criticism is part of the job, especially when you don't win the games you are supposed to win
mncag
5 mill and packed stadiums, sounds like a coaches dream.?
Phoenix1
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

The way he's been treated????? The alumni have Annied up for every coaching change he's wanted to make (none of which have worked btw), rebuilt the whole friggin stadium and given him one of the biggest contracts in the history of NCAA football! Exactly how has he been mistreated? Your username fits you perfectly- spoiled, miserable idiot!!!!
Picadillo
He quit on the players when he left U of H, and we're seeing signs of that now
astrosaggie1212
AG
I think it's possibly crept into his mind that a fresh start may be best for him and us. I predict he ends up at ASU or Arizona if one or both of those jobs becomes available. Obviously we would need to make the first move because he's not leaving money on the table.
Strategy
AG
I don't feel sorry for Sumlin one bit.

He is a FRAUD.

The only reason he was successful is because of his assistants in Holgerson & Kingbury along with solid QB's in Keenum and Manziel.

HE DIDN'T EVEN RECRUIT HIS MOST SUCCESSFUL QB'S.

Keenum: Recruited by Briles

Manziel: Recruited by Sherman

Sumlin has done the least with most.

Its pathetic once you fully understand how he has been propped up a majority of his career, or been in the right place at the right time.

He is being exposed and the chickens are coming home to roost on the litany of poor mistakes.

ByrdEWhiteTrash
AG
I bet he is done with coaching.

Doesn't appear to have a fire in his belly

He's a great dad, a great husband, got plenty of money (now and what's coming with the buyout.)

Move on to broadcasting and enjoy life.

Ian Neff
AG
That seems to be the most reasonable course.
2thFixinAg
Of course he wants to stay.

Stay until he's canned.

Then he gets his full contract remaining within 60 days. sweet deal.
Meximan
Gyles Marrett said:

liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Well as a coach do you really want to go to a program that doesn't have expectations of winning?
The administration expects to win. That's why they put him on a short lease with the ultimatum in the off season. That's why Buzbee made a public fool of himself (though he may be right). That's why Woodward has been quiet since the ultimatum.
Electric
AG
If he wanted to stay he would have never let his wife send that tweet out. At the very least he would have made a statement supporting the school and pointing out that this was probably not an Aggie that sent it.
Nino Brown
Electric said:

If he wanted to stay he would have never let his wife send that tweet out. At the very least he would have made a statement supporting the school and pointing out that this was probably not an Aggie that sent it.
Exactly, or taking it straight to the authorities like should of been done to find out who it was and if it's considered a threat. I've always liked Sumlin and I think he's a good guy just from talking to a couple of people that have known him pretty well. Having said that, this is done and no I don't think he wants to be here or even know if he wants to coach anymore. I do appreciate his time here. Start in the SEC could of been much worse.
Strategy
AG
As the authorities said, you cannot file charges for calling someone a name. No matter how deplorable.

Regarding your post to our start in the SEC:

You take a Sherman O-Line, Add JFF, and have Kliff as your O Coordinator and play Bama the week after they are beat up from L$U.

Jackpot.

Sumlin walked into a perfect situation and brought the missing component in Kingsbury.

He, himself, is nothing without his assistants, which A&M bankrolls.

FRAUD.
Sparkie
AG
It's division one football brother!

Think Lsu or Bama would be nicer?
Nino Brown
RebelgentlemenE2 said:

As the authorities said, you cannot file charges for calling someone a name. No matter how deplorable.

You take a Sherman O-Line, Add JFF, and have Kliff as your O Coordinator and play Bama the week after they are beat up from L$U.

Jackpot.

Sumlin walked into a perfect situation and brought the missing component in Kingsbury.

FRAUD.
Oh I agree with you about the start being a combination of Sherman O line and KK and JFF. But with all due respect he has to get credit for hiring KK and starting Johnny. He also hired Beaty who helped develop Big Mike and a few other guys so.... You can't just point out all the bad and call someone a fraud when some things were done great. Hasn't worked out long term. And in regards to the letter I thought it said something along the lines of "leave town or else"?
zipp99
AG
ByrdEWhiteTrash said:

I bet he is done with coaching.

Doesn't appear to have a fire in his belly

He's a great dad, a great husband, got plenty of money (now and what's coming with the buyout.)

Move on to broadcasting and enjoy life.

Nah. Can't chew gum in the broadcast booth.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." (Albert Einstein)

Bunk Moreland
2thFixinAg said:

Of course he wants to stay.

Stay until he's canned.

Then he gets his full contract remaining within 60 days. sweet deal.

Maybe we can get USC or the Eagles to chip in for pennies on the dollar for saving them so much money.
hillcountryag86
AG
I do think he wants to stay. I believe he wants nothing more than to turn this around and have success at A&M.

He knows more than anyone that he is the head coach of a team that is not performing anywhere close to anyone's expectations, including his. Despite an outward appearance on the sidelines and interviews that is sometimes perceived otherwise, I truly think he is a fierce, determined competitor and this is eating him up inside. I believe he is doing, and will do, everything he possibly can to win.

Can he get A&M to expectations? I don't know. I certainly hope so. If he can't, I certainly agree he needs to go. Maybe that time has already come.

But whether he is the coach to lead an Aggie team(s) to the levels of success we want, I do believe the man has a fire burning in him to to win.

Lot Y Tailgate
AG
Why would he still be bringing in top recruiting classes if he didn't want to be here? That is the most "work" part of the job.

His on the field issues are because he isn't a good coach, not because he is done with us....
S.A. Aggie
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

No matter who it is, no one wants to go out not having succeeded. I am sure he would want to turn this around, have a one loss season and then jump ship once he gets another offer. Do I expect a one (or two) loss season? No way. Would I like it even if he jumped ship after turning the season around? No complaints. So, does he want to stay, I am sure he does. At least for a little while longer.
GCP12
AG
Lot Y Tailgate said:

Why would he still be bringing in top recruiting classes if he didn't want to be here? That is the most "work" part of the job.

His on the field issues are because he isn't a good coach, not because he is done with us....
I ask this out of ignorance because I haven't been following recruiting the past two years.

How much "work" does Sumlin really do in recruiting? Does he just show up to close? Isn't most of the work done by assistants?
AnalogyAg
the way he's been treated????? you gotta be kidding me, liberal ag.
VatoLocoAggie
Mistreated??? Gtfo
Gyles Marrett
Meximan said:

Gyles Marrett said:

liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

The administration expects to win. That's why they put him on a short lease with the ultimatum in the off season. That's why Buzbee made a public fool of himself (though he may be right). That's why Woodward has been quiet since the ultimatum.

I wasn't saying we at A&M don't have expectations of winning. I'm saying we do. I was responding to this ridiculous statement of "who would want to stay" with the criticism he's faced. Programs that expect to win will always criticize the coach. So my point was what kind of coach would want to go to a program with no criticism bc that means they don't expect to win.
Jack Cheese
AG
"Annied up"

That's texags gold, Jerry! Gold!
crunchyo
Ugh, this thread is awful. So many dumb comments.
ABATTBQ11
AG
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

He was treated great until he started to suck real bad and it was apparent that all of his success he used to negotiate the best deal in CFB was due to Johnny.
TangoMike
Nino Brown said:

RebelgentlemenE2 said:

Jackpot.

FRAUD.
Oh I agree with you about the start being a combination of Sherman O line and KK and JFF. But with all due respect he has to get credit for hiring KK and starting Johnny. He also hired Beaty who helped develop Big Mike and a few other guys so.... You can't just point out all the bad and call someone a fraud when some things were done great. Hasn't worked out long term. And in regards to the letter I thought it said something along the lines of "leave town or else"?

"Or else" is not an actionable threat, it's something 12 year olds tell each other when they don't know what to say. People keep saying "take the letter to the police!!" as if they're going to investigate and charge someone with first degree not nice
Eagle78
I wish there was a DV function here. I just could not DV the OP enough. The way he has been treated? My word. This is the SEC. A&M has shown Sumlin more patience than I've ever seen an SEC school not named Vanderbilt show a head coach. If we were Auburn he would have been fired on the tarmac in 2015 after that 59-0 drumming.
greg.w.h
AG
Here's how you find out if he wants to be here:

"After much consideration, Texas A&M as a club has decided to treat this like a pitcher who pitches himself into a hole over and ovrer: we aren't going to provide relief and you're expected to finish the contract with your head held high. We are not offering any more coaching changes and you have to make do with what you can get if any of your staff leaves. Please immediately consider whatever program changes you need to make in substance or style that would earn a contract extension. We've been very supportive. Time to earn your next contract."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.