Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Does he want to stay?

8,463 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by springaggie2014
texagg14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

There's been a lot of talk about whether he should be allowed to stay but how much does anyone think Sumlin wants to stay? Maybe he's a good actor about outside noise not bothering him but with his interviews and the public posting of that letter it sure seems like he'd rather collect his buyout and head down the road to another gig. I'd hope that's not the case as it makes for a rest of the season with a coach that's not doing everything he can to save his job. If he's smart you'd think he'd want to stay. I have a hard time believing his next stop would have comparable facilities and fanbase. But if football games are any representation I'd question his decision making.
Would you want to stay the way he has been treated? And no, I'm not talking about race but support. Look at Sherman, Fran, etc..
What a weak ass lib response. At least you know who you are!
MallalieuAg
AG
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

There's been a lot of talk about whether he should be allowed to stay but how much does anyone think Sumlin wants to stay? Maybe he's a good actor about outside noise not bothering him but with his interviews and the public posting of that letter it sure seems like he'd rather collect his buyout and head down the road to another gig. I'd hope that's not the case as it makes for a rest of the season with a coach that's not doing everything he can to save his job. If he's smart you'd think he'd want to stay. I have a hard time believing his next stop would have comparable facilities and fanbase. But if football games are any representation I'd question his decision making.
Would you want to stay the way he has been treated? And no, I'm not talking about race but support. Look at Sherman, Fran, etc..
How has he been treated? Any examples? We all want him to succeed so he can coach here or many years. He's had talent but you have to scratch your head by some of the moves he makes. But for $5MM you can treat me like he has been treated.
TMartin
After the early successes Sumlin's name was attached to the USC and NFL coaching vacancies and I don't remember him saying he was committed to A&M until he got his $5M and a long contract. Dabo Sweeney, who had much less to work with, always showed his passion for building Clemson and stated so publicly before he got his money. Sumlin will coach again because he is Teflon, has the right image, is politically savvy and people still remember Manziel.. When asked by other programs what went wrong at A&M Sumlin can always point to Mrs. Sumlin's letter as to the way he was always treated at A&M. I can see Sumlin fitting in well in wine country.
AggieDad74
Oh yeah! Kevin definitely wants to stay!

Just like his coaching predecessors, he wants to stay long enough to hear the ubiquitous "You're fired," from the powers that be, along with the accompanying and rather cozy $11.5 million buyout!

Now if I were interviewing for a job and I demanded a contractual buyout, just how long would it take the employer to laugh in my face and then throw my ass out onto the asphalt?

IMHO, buyouts are nothing more than convenient tools of both the lazy and of the insecure!
Gyles Marrett
crunchyo said:

Ugh, this thread is awful. So many dumb comments.
Yet comments like that only increase the quantity of dumb comments from people...

People have different opinions. Constantly calling opinions different from yours dumb is a childish point of view (that many of our politicians use). If everyone had the same opinion on here Texags would either not exist or it would just be one big pat on the back celebration worthy of a pimp stick...
swc93
AG
dumb is not the same as different
83Aggie
AG
I'll play the contrarian here. I think he's coaching for his pride and his coaching reputation. Is he disconnected from the idea of A&M being his future. Yes, that's apparent. Will he quit coaching and take a broadcast gig? I doubt it. The "chip on your shoulder " mentality has carried over to himself now.
Gyles Marrett
swc93 said:

dumb is not the same as different
You just proved my point lol. There's too many that have the instant reaction of viewing an opinion different from theirs as dumb. An opinion that is different from yours doesn't automatically make it dumb.
Tamu_mgm
AG
liberalag12 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

If he doesn't want to be treat this way (not talking about the letter), then he needs to go somewhere with lower expectations like Purdue or Arizona State. He's in the biggest league of College Football - pressure and expectations will never go away even when you're winning.
Tamu_mgm
AG
hillcountryag86 said:

I do think he wants to stay. I believe he wants nothing more than to turn this around and have success at A&M.

He knows more than anyone that he is the head coach of a team that is not performing anywhere close to anyone's expectations, including his. Despite an outward appearance on the sidelines and interviews that is sometimes perceived otherwise, I truly think he is a fierce, determined competitor and this is eating him up inside. I believe he is doing, and will do, everything he possibly can to win.

Can he get A&M to expectations? I don't know. I certainly hope so. If he can't, I certainly agree he needs to go. Maybe that time has already come.

But whether he is the coach to lead an Aggie team(s) to the levels of success we want, I do believe the man has a fire burning in him to to win.

I think what you're saying is spot on. I do believe the actions he's taken in assistant coaching changes, evolution in recruiting, and his own personal words show that he does have a burning desire to win and win big here at A&M. However, it just seems like it's not enough. He seems to take a step backward for every step he takes forward.
SeattleAgJr
WTF cares whether he wants to stay.

He lack of coaching success justifies booting his ass.
pinche gringo
AG
Quote:

Snowflake alert!
swc93
AG
No. Don't think so. This thread does have dumb comments and they are dumb because they are dumb not because they are different.
Gyles Marrett
swc93 said:

No. Don't think so. This thread does have dumb comments and they are dumb because they are dumb not because they are different.
Got it, if it doesn't agree with your opinion then it's a dumb opinion.
peace
S
I don't know if Sumlin would be a good choice 'in the booth'. He stammers and almost stutters at times, and often never does respond to the question/subject at hand. Perhaps when he has not just lost a game that was winnable, he could be a smoother analyst, but I would have trouble listening to him from what his pressers have been.
bgrimm05
AG
Jack Cheese said:

"Annied up"

That's texags gold, Jerry! Gold!

Rule #1 on Annie!
quiz
AG
?
quiz
AG
Electric said:

If he wanted to stay he would have never let his wife send that tweet out. At the very least he would have made a statement supporting the school and pointing out that this was probably not an Aggie that sent it.
"Let" his wife send the tweet? I would assume she makes her own decisions. Most women are allowed to do that these days.
Foxo
AG
StickTogetherAgs said:

Criticism is part of the job, especially when you don't win the games you are supposed to win

By that,I suppose you mean all of the games.
NE PA Ag
quiz said:

Electric said:

If he wanted to stay he would have never let his wife send that tweet out. At the very least he would have made a statement supporting the school and pointing out that this was probably not an Aggie that sent it.
"Let" his wife send the tweet? I would assume she makes her own decisions. Most women are allowed to do that these days.
Yes, "let his wife send the tweet" is perfectly appropriate for this situation and is not chauvinist anti-woman. We are talking about his job here, not hers. My wife and I decide things together, but I would be livid if she independently did something negative related to my job without my prior approval, just like I would expect the same from her if it was reversed. Not everything is about inequality. I hope you recognize that.
Nino Brown
peace said:

I don't know if Sumlin would be a good choice 'in the booth'. He stammers and almost stutters at times, and often never does respond to the question/subject at hand. Perhaps when he has not just lost a game that was winnable, he could be a smoother analyst, but I would have trouble listening to him from what his pressers have been.
So politics or CNN anchor?
JustisWalkert
AG
Sumlin makes $5M a year. The team plays in a 100k plus stadium with state of the art support facilities. The fan base supports the team unwaveringly. He gets all the money he wants for assistant coaches. The state provides more than enough football talent to recruit.

Why would he want to leave?

Where would he go that would be better than what he has now?
peace
S
nina, yes, with the evasive answers.
OregonAggie
AG
I'm sure he'll coach again and he may be successful somewhere else. When he leaves I will bid him good luck. Hopefully the next guy won't perennially coach us to 8-5 records.

I could see him doing broadcasting but I think he'll coach again. He's too young to be put out to pasture in broadcasting but I bet he'd be great at it.

I certainly hope he doesn't use that letter as a summation of how he was treated because he was treated very well here. Given everything he needed to be successful but he didn't get it done....
springaggie2014
Sumlin has been treated pretty well. He got a 5 mil/year contract after a season he went 8-4 with a Heisman trophy winner on the roster. Used the NFL as leverage. Part of me wishes we would have called his bluff on that and say, "you just got a contract extension after 2012, we're not renegotiating right now. "
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.