Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Since we're throwing out names, interwsting read Frank Wilson

6,077 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ragoo
AnalogyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
check out the narrative under career. He could absolutely kick some LSU recruiting ass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Wilson_(American_football)

academic anyway cause we already have our man...

beat BU last week for UTSA's first power 5 win, on road.
Schrute
I'd certainly take him over Sumlin. But not over Venables, Fleck, or the Pirate.
superunknown
AG
IMO he's a lock to be in the SEC west next year.
merch
The Pirate? Seriously? If there is one thing I can promise you, the Pirate will not even be looked at as an option, nor should he be.
PrincessButtercup
AG
My 70 year old HR manager was named Frank Wilson. Hoping it's a different guy.
Ragoo
AG
and you dummies think chad morris has a lot to prove.
gA_CMAB_FA
http://247sports.com/Article/Not-just-a-recruiter-How-Frank-Wilson-is-building-his-empire-at--106009796

"... Wilson is a coach who schedules every minute of practice to the blade of grass position groups must stand on. Drills for quarterbacks and wide receivers are done perpendicular to each other, so they can join together quickly when the team starts to run routes. During the drills, Wilson wanders around the field, giving an adjustment for a running back here, a tip for a defensive back there.

His meticulous nature carries over into the locker room, too. When towels are left on the locker room floor, Wilson will post pictures of the misdeed around the facility.

Details matter to Wilson."

"... A recruiting meeting is underway at UTSA. Wilson sits at the head of the table, taking meticulous notes on everything said.

On the wall to his left is a whiteboard with hundreds of 2x6-inch magnets attached to the Roadrunners recruiting big board. Each recruit's name, height, weight and 40-yard dash time is included. They're sorted by class, with their place in the Roadrunner's pecking order indicated by their proximity to the top of the board.
Wilson will later break down film of defensive backs a position he never coached in college with almost robotic detail. He notes everything from press technique to a lack of interceptions on a highlight tape likely indicating bad hands.

But it's earlier in the meeting when Wilson displays the trait Miles said makes him special."
gA_CMAB_FA
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/2/22/14665506/bo-davis-utsa-alabama-frank-wilson-recruiting

"...New (UTSA) defensive line coach Bo Davis previously held that job at Alabama in 2014 and 2015, as well as from 2007 to 2010. He was a well-regarded coach and an elite recruiter, regularly leading dominant defensive lines and wooing top players to Tuscaloosa."
Red Pill
AG
Anybody else read thread title in Elmer Fudd voice?
FM-AG95
AG
What about Dan Campbell? Obviously he does not have college coaching experience but he has NFL experience (although not a guarantee of success). The Dolphin players apparently loved playing for him as interim head coach even though by all accounts he is intense and a hard arse. I mean, he does get A&M and who can forget his '98 bonfire speech! I think being hard nosed he would appreciate and demand a great defense.
EllisCoAg
AG
Quote:

Loud rap music pulses through the spring air as the UTSA Roadrunners arrive for practice. Players sway to the beat, shaking the morning out of their muscles. Later, as UTSA moves into individual drills, the rhythm slows and country breaks through. Instruction is happening, and second-year head coach Frank Wilson wants to make sure his coaches are heard. Toward the end of the session, 11-on-11 begins, and the beats per minute start climbing. Coaches and players shout on the sideline through the rhythms that spur the Roadrunners on.

It's a playlist Wilson designed specifically to carry the team through practice.
Quote:

Wilson served as Miles' associate head coach while at LSU, and Miles trusted him with many CEO-like duties. When Miles went on the road for the Tiger Tour speaking to alumni in different cities across the region Miles would do six talks and he'd assign Wilson four. Wilson also served as the program's liaison to the police department and often handled disciplinary issues.
"The more you gave him, the more he did," Miles said. "You wanted to ask Frank what his thoughts were because, generally speaking, he came up with a great view of the situation."
Those responsibilities prepared Wilson to be a head coach off the field. The training as to what it takes to build a program came much earlier.
Ed Orgeron made Wilson one of his first hires when he took over Ole Miss in 2005. In 2008, Larry Fedora made Wilson his first hire Urban Meyer actually wanted to hire him that year, but Wilson couldn't get out of his contract. In 2009, Lane Kiffin made Wilson an early hire on his Volunteers coaching staff.
merch
Cant believe Dan is a viable candidate either.
cc10106
superunknown said:

IMO he's a lock to be in the SEC west next year.
Plenty LSU fans would be rustled if he ended up at A&M. I have read nothing but good things about him.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Make it Mason!

12 times better choice than CM !
Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
Nino Brown
http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/will-texas-aandm-go-after-frank-wilson/71952346/page-2/
Hamburger Dan
I would say attention to detail would be a good thing.
AnalogyAg
nice link, Nino- i had no idea F Wilson was being discussed elsewhere to that extent.
edwardsk2003
AG
I'd be a huge fan of a Frank Wilson hire!
Tamu_mgm
AG
Padre_Island_Ag said:

Make it Mason!

LOL hope you're being sarcastic.
texagg14
AG
Let's just stick with Houston and take Applewhite.
CrottyKid
AG
Frank Wilson is as good a choice as any.

My question is, "Who wants to come here and go 8-4 or 7-5 for 6 years and get fired?" We are structured to do that. It doesn't matter who the coach is.
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
"For a sign-on bonus of a stack of $100's THIS BIG, I think I could be your man! Throw my name out there!"

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think he has a bright future. Unproven, but UTSA really likes him.
runontexas
AG
I'll trade ya Frank Wilson and Dalton Sturm for Kevin Sumlin and Kellen Mond... Deal?
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
"How 'bout me? How 'bout me? Even my initials are 'TD!'"

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
aggiedent
AG
It would be a mistake if a PROPER SEARCH didn't include looking at him.
suprafly03
AG
I have read these articles.

I have decided I want this guy.

He certainly hasn't proven himself to the level I would like.

But his credentials in the SEC makes me think he's more proven than Morris.
technoviking
AG
**** it.
TMartin
"check out the narrative under career. He could absolutely kick some LSU recruiting ass."

Sumlin and Strong were going to war over Texas recruits who promptly left the state.
runontexas
AG
Frank Wilson is THE hire

No pimp stick around that guy.
Jimi_Rod
AG
He would be affordable hire as well. His weekly radio spots are good insight to him as a coach and person. Would be a solid hire.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Well his Wikipedia page is impressive. He certainly knows how to recruit...
Propofolsu
I'm not here to **** on this thread but as an LSU guy who lives and works in this town, I find it to be hilarious that I'm reading this.....

All I ever here about Aggies is how rich they are and how they can throw the checkbook around....

Yet, here I am reading a thread about a former LSU Tiger coach, Nola boy, who is in his 2nd year as a head coach being the guy for the job at A&M.

Wow......times they are a changing.

Frank will kill it wherever he goes.
FJB
AG
I liked what Wilson did last year. Seems to be doing it again this year.
Who is John Galt?

GoldenGun00
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

Padre_Island_Ag said:

Make it Mason!

LOL hope you're being sarcastic.
I don't know if he's serious or not, but that's not a worse idea than many that have been floated, including Morris. He's had as much success as a HC at this point, on a higher level with much better competition. If Vandy wins this weekend against Kansas State and shows there are for real, there's a very real chance they could reach 8-9 wins in the regular season. Their defense, Mason's specialty, is salty, their QB is now experienced and leading the nation in QB rating (against a mediocre team and a scrub team so far), their RB will finish in the top 5 in SEC history in career yardage, and they have a bunch of experienced receivers. If their OL hold up, they're dangerous.

Mason was a super hot commodity as a coordinator a few years back. He truly sucked his first season as a HC but, unlike many, has actually learned on the job and improved each season. If the team turns in a strong season, he will get good offers. The thing is, I'm not sure he'll actually leave Vanderbilt. With James Franklin, it was clear his ambition and ego were such that he would leave if Penn State, Texas, or a couple others offered him that year. Mason, whose major experience before Vanderbilt was at Stanford, actually appears to enjoy leading a program at a private, academic school. I'd put him in the category with Fitzgerald of guys who might be tempted but might not actually leave since they know they have a pretty good thing, making many millions at a place where they don't have insatiable pressure to win 11+ every season.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.