Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thinking Hubenak should have transferred

7,825 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OldSoully
BlackHillsAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after watching the game, two things are clear. Hubenak is a better quarterback than Mond (experience may change that but right now it's true), and Sumlin has no interest in playing the best QB. He confirmed that in today's pressed by talking about how great Mond looked until the defense adjusted, at which point it was the O-line's fault that Mond couldn't perform. It was pretty insulting considering Hubenak came in and moved the ball, controlled the pace, and completed passes behind the same line.

Throughout his time at A&M Hubenak has been the other guy. He hasn't been stellar, but he is a solid, capable, and consistent quarterback among an array of rotating faces. He also consistently gets shafted every time Sumlin gets a new hotshot, and starts talking about the OB of he future, a future which never seems to include that hotshot QB. I actually wonder, like some others have mentioned, if Sumlin has something personal against Hubenak.

Hubenak has been fiercely loyal, perhaps to his own detriment. I admire his patience in waiting for his shot, but at each point he's been passed over. He's earned the start this weekend. I will be shocked if he gets it.

That's why I wonder if he would not have been better off transferring to another school. I think he could easily have found another program that values the type of hard work and loyalty he offers, and would in return have given him playing time and starting reps to develop. I'm not saying he would have been a heisman winner, probably not NFL caliber, but we'll never know how good he could have been because he's never been given a real opportunity.

I hope he gets that opportunity beginning next week. Sumlin will stick with a quarterback through a lot once he extends that chance. Here's hoping he extends it to Hubenak. It's well deserved and long overdue.
TxAg76
AG
You've seen a handful of games.

Coaching staff has seen those games, plus well into the double digits (maybe even triples) of practices, drills, etc.
Not to mention multiple careers worth of evaluating the QBs that they have (on team) and don't have (in recruiting and/or competing against)

Mond's x-factor is his feet, giving another dimension despite his youth and inexperience.
Starkel has stronger arm and likely is more accurate.

Doubt it's anything personal.
Most experience. But lowest ceiling (of the 3).
I also think he's about a half step slow with his reads/timing.

I do like him though. But facts are facts.
MidTnAg
AG
Quote:

lowest ceiling (of the 3)
This is the most important point. Mond just needs experience; Jake doesn't. Imagine how good Kellen will be after a couple of seasons. Especially when he (and the rest of the players) gets better coaching next year.
Unemployed
AG
Hubenak hasn't won a single game he has started.
Reno Hightower
I couldn't agree more, Jake should've transferred.
Workinman99
Hube bounced around several places. He was recruited from Blinn as a back up.

Great guy and best we have today. Where else is he gonna play? He does not have NFL talent
VatoLocoAggie
Hubes should be starting.
Monds confidence is going to be destroyed by placing him in bad situations. Even as a true freshman QB he has not shown the talent level I expect from an elite high school recruit.

I don't see it. Not even the fundamentals. IMG wtf???
Artimus Gordon
Yes hoobs should start. It looks like we are going down the same road with mond that we went down with KA and KM. Playing them way before they are ready. But then we have never had anyone on staff to develope quarterbacks, except for KLiff. The difference in QB play is noticeable.
Slicer97
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

The difference in QB play is noticeable.

Yeah, I'm sure the absensce of Klifford is the reason Hill, Allen, Murray, and Knight didn't rewrite conference records and win Heismans.
petey88

Same reason as most of us, perhaps he's here for a degree from A&M

CrazyDayDuck
It's like watching a petulant kid try to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Mond isn't ready to start. Give him some reps but starting him is just stupid.

Hubenak may not be All SEC but at least he is functional.

The players know this, especially the O Line, who are probably not happy about being blamed for a true fish being unable to read a blitz.

Good lord, it's painful to watch this team and coach.
ffco
MidTnAg said:

Quote:

This is the most important point. Mond just needs experience; Jake doesn't. Imagine how good Kellen will be after a couple of seasons. Especially when he (and the rest of the players) gets better coaching next year.

1) Nothing I have seen has convinced me that Mond has a high ceiling.
2) "Potential" has killed quite a few coaches.
Ragoo
AG
MidTnAg said:

Quote:

mond gets the touch down on two deep passes, one to Kirk and one to Ausbon and the last game is 28-3 at the half.

Similar to ucla. He was off on some throws. They were clearly better against Nicholls.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Mond gives Sumlin a better chance of saving his job. If Jake starts, our ceiling is probably 6-6 and then Sumlin gets fired. If Mond starts, maybe our record won't be as good, but if he shows a lot of improvement towards the end of the year, Sumlin can try to sell the future with our AD. He probably still gets fired, but with Mond, at least there's a chance.
NyAggie
AG
It's amazing that since Johnny we have had a different starting qb to start every season

It's no wonder we can't surpass 8 wins because the most important position on the team neve has a chance to develop
gonemaroon
AG
Our coaching staff has no tolerance for QB's in the program longer than 1.5 years
mully
AG
I've never understood why everybody thinks Hubenak has such a low ceiling.

If he didn't get injured his Jr season in high school, I'm sure he would have been much more highly recruited. He had better stats as a Sr in high school (2689 yds, 37 TDs, 4 Int, 65% Comp%) than 5* Kyle Allen (2525 yds, 29 TDs, 10 Int, 68% Comp%). For comparison, Mond's Sr year stats were 1803 yds, 19 TDs, 3 Int, 55% Comp%.

Hubenak then followed that up at Blinn by throwing for 4052 yards, 47 TDs, 9 Ints, and 65% Comp% in 8 games (506 yds/game).

Why is this the guy who has the low ceiling?

He did not light the league on fire last season in his limited opportunities, but he was a much better passer (145 QB rating) than Trevor Knight was (123 QB rating) and that is with taking very few reps with the 1st team guys.

I would love to see what he can do from here on out taking reps with the 1st team.

I think Kirk's text message to Hubenak after the UCLA game says a lot about the player's feelings, too. "We're going to rely on you. At some point we're going to need you to come back in and help carry this team."
Jack Cheese
AG
Are you seriously arguing that 3 schools isn't enough for Jake Hubenak? That he should have enrolled in and played for a 4th school? How could that possibly have turned out well? Could he have even transferred to a D1 school and had any eligibility left after sitting out a season?

Some QBs never start. Even ones with some talent. It's not the worst thing in the world. Hubenak seems like a good guy. I'm sure he'll live a fulfilled life. Really, OP, things will be ok.
average_joker
AG
mully said:

If he didn't get injured his Jr season in high school, I'm sure he would have been much more highly recruited. He had better stats as a Sr in high school (2689 yds, 37 TDs, 4 Int, 65% Comp%) than 5* Kyle Allen (2525 yds, 29 TDs, 10 Int, 68% Comp%). For comparison, Mond's Sr year stats were 1803 yds, 19 TDs, 3 Int, 55% Comp%.

Hubenak then followed that up at Blinn by throwing for 4052 yards, 47 TDs, 9 Ints, and 65% Comp% in 8 games (506 yds/game).

He did not light the league on fire last season in his limited opportunities, but he was a much better passer (145 QB rating) than Trevor Knight was (123 QB rating) and that is with taking very few reps with the 1st team guys.

I would love to see what he can do from here on out taking reps with the 1st team.

I think Kirk's text message to Hubenak after the UCLA game says a lot about the player's feelings, too. "We're going to rely on you. At some point we're going to need you to come back in and help carry this team."
Ian Neff
AG
OP's post is a good one.

The issue, as many have said, is that Hubenak, whilst a really solid dude, is not that great at football.

If he transferred, he'd be lucky to have as much success as Joeckel did. And that wasn't much.

Better to be second fiddle at Texas A&M than top of the heap at Visible Changes University.
Slicer97
AG
Arm strength is an issue and while he's not a statue, he's not particularly mobile either.

His skill set limits him to being a game-manager type. If we had more experienced talent at WR, an O-line that gave better pass protection, and an OC that realized throwing to a TE over the middle of the field is, in fact, a legal play, Jake would do really well. He's just not the guy that can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a win, and given the other holes in our offense right now, that's the type of player we need at QB.

CrazyDayDuck
Slicer97 said:

the guy that can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a win

This is the problem right here.

Coach Sumlin is looking for the next Johnny, and he's been looking for him ever since Johnny left.

It really is an indictment of this staff when in Year 6 we are looking for a Superman to come in and save the day.

Jake is clearly our best QB right now. Kirk so much as said so.

But he's not Superman so we are moving on to our next candidate.

Reminds me of when my daughter said while watching Man of Steel, "Why can't I find a guy like that?" Uh, probably because he does not exist.
Rossticus
Slicer97 said:

Arm strength is an issue and while he's not a statue, he's not particularly mobile either.

His skill set limits him to being a game-manager type. If we had more experienced talent at WR, an O-line that gave better pass protection, and an OC that realized throwing to a TE over the middle of the field is, in fact, a legal play, Jake would do really well. He's just not the guy that can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a win, and given the other holes in our offense right now, that's the type of player we need at QB.

Unfortunately, that QB doesn't exist on the current roster. It's not going to be Mond this year. That much is clear.
Canyon99
Sumlin had a close look at what he had in Jake last year and it's not a whole lot (see Ole Miss). I don't have a problem with Mond starting against Nichols. Sumlin got his look at Mond against some decent competition in UCLA and wanted another look against lesser competition. He got a peek on Saturday and that was enough. We are boned going in to conference play with either of these two starting at QB. Jake and Mond in the second half of the UCLA game is a valid argument but it will be irrelevant once we get into SEC play.
CrazyDayDuck
Bruce Almighty said:

Mond gives Sumlin a better chance of saving his job. If Jake starts, our ceiling is probably 6-6 and then Sumlin gets fired. If Mond starts, maybe our record won't be as good, but if he shows a lot of improvement towards the end of the year, Sumlin can try to sell the future with our AD. He probably still gets fired, but with Mond, at least there's a chance.
We were heading to 7-5 with the Starkel / Mond combo. 8-4 tops. No way were we going to beat Bama, LSU, Auburn or Florida this year.

If Mond magically becomes Superman, we "Could" still make 8-4. However, I don't think that will be enough to stop a coaching change.

With Jake we could see 7-5 (depending on the Ole Miss game).

Is it really that big of a difference?
ghollow
AG
RealTalk said:

Hubenak hasn't won a single game he has started.
He beat UTSA last year.

Quote:

Mond's x-factor is his feet, giving another dimension despite his youth and inexperience.

Too bad we did not run many plays that allowed him to use them.

Quote:

This. I think Hubes makes a great backup but he is not the future of this team. The future is Starkel, Mond and Blumrick. If all things stay the same the next few weeks, I think we will see Mond start this Saturday but probably Hubes start against against the pigs.

TMartin
Sumlin should not be in year six starting a true freshman. Actions have consequences.
W
AG
at some point Hubenak needs to beat a P5 opponent to be called a "good" quarterback
JodyMcD96
AG
Can Jake do the graduate transfer thing after this year?
mully
AG
Canyon99 said:

Sumlin had a close look at what he had in Jake last year and it's not a whole lot (see Ole Miss).

Jake was on fire in the first half of the Ole Miss game last year. We scored TDs on 3 of our first 4 drives and the drive we did not score Kirk dropped a 4th down pass that was right between the numbers that would have resulted in a 1st down at the Ole Miss 25. He was not great in the 2nd half, but we were up 21-6 heading into the 4th quarter.

Short of "preparing for the future" which makes no sense for this current coaching staff, I do not understand why Mond would be starting any more games while Jake is healthy.
planoaggie123
AG
TxAg76 said:

You've seen a handful of games.

Coaching staff has seen those games, plus well into the double digits (maybe even triples) of practices, drills, etc.
Not to mention multiple careers worth of evaluating the QBs that they have (on team) and don't have (in recruiting and/or competing against)

Doubt it's anything personal.
I also think he's about a half step slow with his reads/timing.

I do like him though. But facts are facts.
I keep hearing his "x-factor" or "strength" is his feet but he seems to have more issues of not moving his feet in the pocket than anyone I have seen in a while. Maybe it is just deer in headlights issue for a young QB? I get he can run a straight line fast maybe but he looks like a statue in the pocket in my opinion. Makes Peyton Manning seem nimble in the pocket. What am I missing?
AceAggie05
AG
TxAg76 said:

How can you say this? I have no doubt that Hubenak would have won the UCLA game. On top of that, Mond had us tied last week, and Nicholls State had momentum. He barely completed 50% of his passes to the same D that Hubenak completed 80%. I just don't understand how Jake's ceiling is lower than a qb who could have potentially lost to Nicholls State.

Mond may be great, but he needs at least another year. He's scared of quick slants, and doubts his ability to release the ball when he needs to. On top of that, he's got no pocket presence, and doesn't know where to go when the pocket breaks down.

What we need with this team is a qb who can manage the game. We need someone to hand the ball off, run the occasional zone read, and complete a pass when needed. Right now, Hubenak is that man.
HoustonAg2106
AG
BlackHillsAg99 said:

So after watching the game, two things are clear. Hubenak is a better quarterback than Mond (experience may change that but right now it's true), and Sumlin has no interest in playing the best QB. He confirmed that in today's pressed by talking about how great Mond looked until the defense adjusted, at which point it was the O-line's fault that Mond couldn't perform. It was pretty insulting considering Hubenak came in and moved the ball, controlled the pace, and completed passes behind the same line.

Throughout his time at A&M Hubenak has been the other guy. He hasn't been stellar, but he is a solid, capable, and consistent quarterback among an array of rotating faces. He also consistently gets shafted every time Sumlin gets a new hotshot, and starts talking about the OB of he future, a future which never seems to include that hotshot QB. I actually wonder, like some others have mentioned, if Sumlin has something personal against Hubenak.

Hubenak has been fiercely loyal, perhaps to his own detriment. I admire his patience in waiting for his shot, but at each point he's been passed over. He's earned the start this weekend. I will be shocked if he gets it.

That's why I wonder if he would not have been better off transferring to another school. I think he could easily have found another program that values the type of hard work and loyalty he offers, and would in return have given him playing time and starting reps to develop. I'm not saying he would have been a heisman winner, probably not NFL caliber, but we'll never know how good he could have been because he's never been given a real opportunity.

I hope he gets that opportunity beginning next week. Sumlin will stick with a quarterback through a lot once he extends that chance. Here's hoping he extends it to Hubenak. It's well deserved and long overdue.
Probably not NFL caliber?
Slicer97
AG
Mond has a higher ceiling than Jake. He also has a lower floor.

Jake won't be the reason the Ags win a game. He also won't be the reason the Ags lose. Mond can be either.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

Thinking Hubenak should have transferred

Getting back to this initial statement, here's my two cents. Did you give an ounce of thought to the possibility that Hubenak is placing more importance on his life after football than the end of his college football (and probably football at any level) days? That maybe he wants a degree from A&M rather than some 3rd tier school where he has a better chance to start? Given his NFL potential, it seems to me Hubenak is thinking far more clearly and lucidly than you.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.