Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thinking Hubenak should have transferred

7,826 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OldSoully
Unemployed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Slicer97 said:

Mond has a higher ceiling than Jake. He also has a lower floor.

Jake won't be the reason the Ags win a game. He also won't be the reason the Ags lose. Mond can be either.
+1
TxAg76
AG
AceAggie05 said:

TxAg76 said:

Most experience. But lowest ceiling (of the 3).

How can you say this? I have no doubt that Hubenak would have won the UCLA game. On top of that, Mond had us tied last week, and Nicholls State had momentum. He barely completed 50% of his passes to the same D that Hubenak completed 80%. I just don't understand how Jake's ceiling is lower than a qb who could have potentially lost to Nicholls State.

Mond may be great, but he needs at least another year. He's scared of quick slants, and doubts his ability to release the ball when he needs to. On top of that, he's got no pocket presence, and doesn't know where to go when the pocket breaks down.

What we need with this team is a qb who can manage the game. We need someone to hand the ball off, run the occasional zone read, and complete a pass when needed. Right now, Hubenak is that man.

When I say lowest ceiling, that doesn't have anything to do with where they are in their development thru today.
Hubes is a senior. Best of what we have (in my opinion) right now today. Always felt like he'd show a lot more than he has with reps, and I hope he gets them.
But those other guys, also with more realtime reps, they'll be better than he is in the long run.
AceAggie05
AG
Slicer97 said:

Mond has a higher ceiling than Jake. He also has a lower floor.

Jake won't be the reason the Ags win a game. He also won't be the reason the Ags lose. Mond can be either.
Maybe I was mistaken. I took ceiling to mean wins/losses. If you're taking a one game performance as the ceiling, then I won't argue that Mond might have that. But overall wins/losses, nothing I have seen from Mond leads me to believe he can win more games than Hubenak.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I hate to break it to you guys, but Mond can't play. He was clearly a superior athlete in high school which allowed him to see a lot of success, but even for a true freshman he looks extremely underwhelmed at this level...Hubenak is the only option at this point.
biobioprof
agmom2016 said:

Hube bounced around several places. He was recruited from Blinn as a back up.

Great guy and best we have today. Where else is he gonna play? He does not have NFL talent
Started out at OK State before Blinn, IIRC. So we're already the 3rd school.
cottonpatchag
AG
Instead of worrying about ceilings, we better worry about floor meet mop
Tamu_mgm
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

I hate to break it to you guys, but Mond can't play. He was clearly a superior athlete in high school which allowed him to see a lot of success, but even for a true freshman he looks extremely underwhelmed at this level...Hubenak is the only option at this point.
Wow that's a leap. The kid is freaking 18 years old. BECAUSE he's a true freshman he is very underwhelmed. That is normal. It is the rare exception when true freshmen QBs play well. To say he flat out can't play after 2 games into his true freshman year is making a leap to say the least.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Wow that's a leap. The kid is freaking 18 years old. BECAUSE he's a true freshman he is very underwhelmed. That is normal. It is the rare exception when true freshmen QBs play well. To say he flat out can't play after 2 games into his true freshman year is making a leap to say the least.

I'm saying he can't play now and that Hubenak should be the only option at this point in time.

The Collective
AG
Sumlin is destroying another QB by just leaving Mond out there to get exposed. That UCLA game was about as bad as what he did to an injured Kyle Allen at Ole Miss.
Gyles Marrett
I keep seeing this statement that Hubenak completed more passes. He actually didn't and ended the game with a lower completion percentage. Is this just being blindly ignored because people want him to start? Did he control the clock well? Yes. That's probably from experience. But saying he completed more passes is just factually inaccurate.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

I keep seeing this statement that Hubenak completed more passes. He actually didn't and ended the game with a lower completion percentage. Is this just being blindly ignored because people want him to start? Did he control the clock well? Yes. That's probably from experience. But saying he completed more passes is just factually inaccurate.
Mond was 12/21 and Hubenak was 12/15...which of those is the higher completion percentage?

I'll give you a hint, it's Hubenak.
Slicer97
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Mond was 12 of 21. Jake was 12/15. But don't let facts get in the way of your argument or anything.
CrazyDayDuck
HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Mond was 12/21 and Hubenak was 12/15...which of those is the higher completion percentage?
Math is hard for some.
Hoss
AG
petey88 said:

Same reason as most of us, perhaps he's here for a degree from A&M

From conversations I've had with a very close friend of his dad, I'm fairly confident that's why he stayed..
cr
CrazyDayDuck said:

Slicer97 said:

the guy that can put the team on his shoulders and carry them to a win

This is the problem right here.

Coach Sumlin is looking for the next Johnny, and he's been looking for him ever since Johnny left.

It really is an indictment of this staff when in Year 6 we are looking for a Superman to come in and save the day.

Jake is clearly our best QB right now. Kirk so much as said so.

But he's not Superman so we are moving on to our next candidate.

Reminds me of when my daughter said while watching Man of Steel, "Why can't I find a guy like that?" Uh, probably because he does not exist.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

...an OC that realized throwing to a TE over the middle of the field is, in fact, a legal play,
Just imagine the effect such a play would have on blitzing LBers, as an added bonus, not to mention its relative ease of completion!
Slicer97
AG
I don't have to imagine. I saw the UCLA game...
W
AG
to be honest...both Hubenak and Mond are going to play against Alabama and Florida.

because whomever starts won't be able to move the offense and will get replaced in the 2nd or 3rd quarter
Gyles Marrett
CrazyDayDuck said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Math is hard for some.
ESPN right after the game had Hubenak listed as 12/24 and Mond as 12/21. I haven't seen any of the game yet. That's what I get for trusting anything from ESPN. Just looked again they have corrected it now. That makes more sense.
Sparkie
AG
If Mond really has this Xfactor, it's been pretty weak so far.

JamesE4
AG
Slicer97 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Mond was 12 of 21. Jake was 12/15. But don't let facts get in the way of your argument or anything.
He "ended the game" with a dropped pass, or an incomplete, i.e. 0% completion for the last pass of the game.
EliteZags
AG
BlackHillsAg99 said:

That's why I wonder if he would not have been better off transferring to another school. I think he could easily have found another program that values the type of hard work and loyalty he offers, and would in return have given him playing time and starting reps to develop.
yea, maybe somewhere like Blinn College
vansprinkle
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Go read a few posts ahead of yours, Jake was in fact the superior high school QB (not sure about "best high school athlete" because I haven't seen their college combine numbers ).

I'll also add that Mond was doing what he did on a team of studs in high school, which should have made things even easier on him to look good.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Math is hard for some.
ESPN right after the game had Hubenak listed as 12/24 and Mond as 12/21. I haven't seen any of the game yet. That's what I get for trusting anything from ESPN. Just looked again they have corrected it now. That makes more sense.
Well if you had watched the game you wouldn't need to know their completion percentages to know that Hubenak is light years better than Mond right now...
BoerneGator
AG
Slicer97 said:

I don't have to imagine. I saw the UCLA game...
But we actually do hafta imagine, since we've not actually seen a pass thrown to a TE, nor a TE for that matter, have we?
Slicer97
AG
Huh? I saw a TE catch something like 15 balls for 200+ yards in that game.
BoerneGator
AG
Slicer97 said:

Huh? I saw a TE catch something like 15 balls for 200+ yards in that game.
I'd already "blocked that out"! Thanks for reminding me. Not!
Slicer97
AG
Yeah, I tried, but I wasn't drunk enough until well after the game to forget stuff.
Gyles Marrett
HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

CrazyDayDuck said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

Math is hard for some.
Well if you had watched the game you wouldn't need to know their completion percentages to know that Hubenak is light years better than Mond right now...
He led us to 10 points over basically a quarter and a half with the last 3 coming on a very short field so I'd agree he's probably ahead of Mond. But, I wouldn't say lightyears. Hubenak isn't leading us to any sort of a championship anytime soon. For Sumlin, I think he'd be doing himself and his own future a favor if he just played Hubenak to try to save his own job. I imagine he is thinking about it from the point of "We aren't winning a title this year with either one, Hubenak will be gone next year, so it would be nice to have a guy that has some experience going into next season". That's the only rationale I can imagine he is using. Like I said, probably not the best idea to keep his own job. At this point I'd rather just go ahead and pull the shirt on Blumrick and see what he can do. We are going to end up with someone transferring no matter what. No way Starkel, Mond, and Blumrick all stay with also the addition of Fortin next season. One of those guys is going to leave to get to play. I'd rather not Blumrick leave and turn into something great that we never gave a shot to see what he had. With QB recruitment I don't see any point in redshirting them anymore.
Boobs4hubes
I love my school, hopefully coach will give me a shot to be the full time starter
Agsuffering@bulaw
Hubenak should have been able to graduate before fall semester. He probably looked at what was happening in Spring Practice and thought he had a realistic chance at starting. He failed to factor in Sumlin's questionable judgment.
bmks270
AG
Backup QB is always the most popular player.
OldSoully
Speaking on behalf of a friend that was the RG for Hubes at Blinn..I think he holds the single season passing yard reception and that's saying a lot considering Cam Newton came that that same program just a few years prior.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.