Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Sumlin doesn't take responsibility. Again.

12,035 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ian Neff
Loyalty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Once again, Sumlin blames the players but doesn't take responsibility for poor play.

He's the coach, doesn't ensure adjustments, stands there chewing his gum.

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Kevin-Sumlin-puts-onus-on-Aggies-offensive-line-12191296.php

AG
"They changed (their defensive scheme) and we couldn't ... for whatever reason. Not whatever reason, I know what reason. Our protection didn't adjust and then we weren't able to run it as effectively as we've been able to."

Gee coach, and who's responsibility is it to adjust?

Is there anyone on the team who gets paid to do exactly that?

That would be great if there was.
W
AG
just another indication that change is coming
Tamu_mgm
AG
I read that as more of blame on Turner than the players. And he's right.

Now I think it's valid to be upset about him not taking ultimate responsibility for that, but he ain't throwing the players under the bus.

Ragoo
AG
could be pointing at the OL coach, not necessarily the OL themselves.

But let's be honest. The OL was trash. No protection scheme was going to make prater a better blocker. hell sumlin should have straight up said "we should have pulled prater because he was bad." At the end of the day, coaches coach and players play. if the players suck, they suck.

edit: obviously he shouldn't call prater out by name, but he should have acknowledged that changes along the line should have been addressed during the game.
AG
I agree. Ironically, he's blaming the coaching.

That's my point, which he made for me.
chipotle
What's he gonna say? "I'm terrible at coaching don't hire me"?

He's lining himself up for his next job. Wherever that is. Bye.
Loyalty
AG
4 said:

"They changed (their defensive scheme) and we couldn't ... for whatever reason. Not whatever reason, I know what reason. Our protection didn't adjust and then we weren't able to run it as effectively as we've been able to."

Gee coach, and who's responsibility is it to adjust?

Is there anyone on the team who gets paid to do exactly that?

That would be great if there was.
This is my point. The players do what they are told to do. If the scheme is wrong and adjustments need to be made, the coaches have to make that call. If Turner isn't doing it then Sumlin has to be in Turner's grill about it until something changes.

Sorry, but the results speak for themselves.
Tamu_mgm
AG
4 said:

I agree. Ironically, he's blaming the coaching.

That's my point, which he made for me.
Yea, and it is irritating he doesn't put it all on his shoulders. At the same time, would it make a difference in how he coached? Probably not. He's the CEO type, as outlined on here dozens of times over. He gives his assistants a ton of control and relies on them...probably too much sometimes.
CrazyDayDuck
He mad

His boy Kellen couldn't read a blitz and he had to take him out.

Hey coach, that's why you don't start a true fish.
aggiedent
AG
The OL is very puzzling. There is no doubting that Turner is an excellent coach.

Yet..................

We are moving guys around so much that there is little chance to develop any chemistry, which is so badly needed on the OL. If you look at the OL roster, 7 guys were 4 star players, and many of the 3 star players had offers from the likes of tu, OU, and SEC programs. How is it possible that a line with that type of potential, plays more like a 2 1/2 star line?
CrazyDayDuck
First it was Martin that was having problems.

Now it is Prater.

Turner is just trying to get the five best guys out there.

McCoy, Lanfear and Sutherland have been pretty solid.
swc93
AG
Exactly... with our talent versus Nicholls Freaking State it shouldn't matter what sneaky tricks they are trying on defense; punch them in the mouth and keep punching. Adjustments? We don't need no stinking adjustments.
CrazyDayDuck
Nicholls only lost by 2 to Georgia last year.

They're a scappy FCS team.
Nino Brown
Cluster****. Only word I could think of
AG
Georgia was not good last year.
NoahAg
At some point, in-game coaching can only do so much. It comes down to execution. I can yell at my kids all I want to "run faster," but at the end of they day they either can or can't.
TAM85
Nichols State have a lot of guys from good programs.

You think Sutherland has been playing well?
Nino Brown
NoahAg said:

At some point, in-game coaching can only do so much. It comes down to execution. I can yell at my kids all I want to "run faster," but at the end of they day they either can or can't.
So call a timeout and light into someones ass........if you're making 5 mill a year of course.
AG
NoahAg said:

That's true, but in our case, I'm pretty sure the players can still run faster.
txagbear
4 said:

Georgia was 8-5 with a bowl win. They weren't exactly bad.
TCSD84
He's the HC. If it's a talent issue at whatever position, it's on him. He's a crap recruiter and players don't want to play for him. It's if a coaching issue at whatever position, it's on him. Good coaches won't coach with him because he's a crappy HC. It's on him. Just fire His lazy ass and bring in Gary Patterson.

Do it!
oysterbayAG
AG
I think the difference between Sumlin & Saban is that Sumlin runs the program as a CEO of a large corporation delegating responsibility, whereas a guy like Saban runs his program like the owner of a small business, getting into all the important details all the time and checking everything. Plus Saban is more aggressive.
Dread Pirate Roberts
How could he not see that during the game and got to Turner to give schematic suggestions? It always falls on the head coach.

Sometimes, they simply whipped our player straight up. That's not a schematic issue.

While this was not a great showing for Turner, he still is probably the best coach we have. Blaming him doesn't solve the problem except to bring Turner down into Sumlin's own miserable level.
Nino Brown
oysterbayAG said:

I think the difference between Sumlin & Saban is that Sumlin runs the program as a CEO of a large corporation delegating responsibility, whereas a guy like Saban runs his program like the owner of a small business, getting into all the important details all the time and checking everything. Plus Saban is more aggressive.
Sumlin is one of the Enron guys at this point and Saban is Ray Kroc. And I used to like Sumlin
Ag4coal
It wasnt scheme as much as it was lazy play and mental errors. Same with backs in pass pro. Plenty of misses. It's not talent. It's not even really scheme. It's a lack of ****s given by the team.
Tamu_mgm
AG
txagbear said:

4 said:

Exactly, you can't have it both ways. Either both A&M and UGA (last year) sucks, or Nichols St. isn't your typical "cupcake." Can't have both.

Dread Pirate Roberts
Tamu_mgm said:

txagbear said:

4 said:

Exactly, you can't have it both ways. Either both A&M and UGA (last year) sucks, or Nichols St. isn't your typical "cupcake." Can't have both.

I agree, but neither team should have struggled against any FCS opponent. No one (outside of New Mexico St or a Sun Belt team, maybe) should allow an FCS school to make a game competitive.
quiz
AG
We are the Georgia of this year?
Bob Harris
There was a video last year of Saban just ripping into Kiffin on the sideline for doing something stupid on offense with like 4 seconds on the clock before halftime up by 30 points. Afterwards Saban said it wasn't an argument, it was an ass-chewing.

We need more ass-chewings.
Schrute
Bob Harris said:

There was a video last year of Saban just ripping into Kiffin on the sideline for doing something stupid on offense with like 4 seconds on the clock before halftime up by 30 points. Afterwards Saban said it wasn't an argument, it was an ass-chewing.

We need more ass-chewings.
And less gum-chewings
bryanhome
Nichols State was 5-6 last year
Bob Harris
Gum should be for closers...
CrazyDayDuck
TAM85 said:

Nichols State have a lot of guys from good programs.

You think Sutherland has been playing well?

Yep. One of their receivers is a Bama transfer.

I haven't heard about him having problems like Koda and Colton, and he's keeping the Zero U transfer on the bench. Sounds like he's not doing that bad.
TAMUworkingAG
I love sports and that was the WORST coaching job i have ever witnessed in any sport
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.