Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

what are the odds that Sumlin fired between now and LSU?

8,061 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cannon91
JaySugar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I say it's 95%

although if we go 5-3 in the SEC, then I would say there is a chance he stays.

Now, the odds of that happening are slim.

Ultimately, I think the UCLA game was the final straw.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Have the BMAs even agreed on a priority order for our new coach? Doubtful, as they seem more interested in winning debates than winning games.
TexasAGGIEinAR
He'll be here until LSU bashes our teeth in. They won't fire him until then. Zero chance he's gone mid season.
AggieDad74
With the rather fantastical odds that he either beats Alabama, or wins the SEC-West perhaps saving his hide, I think that you can pretty much stick a fork in him ~ he's done!

And I'm not very positive that the accomplishment of either of those marked achievements will do it for him!
W
AG
two scenarios...

if the Ags reach 4-1 before the Alabama game...I think he'll make it to the season finale in Baton Rouge and then be fired.

but if the Ags lose to Arkansas or South Carolina (or both) and then get humiliated at Kyle Field by Bama...Sumlin could be sacked perhaps after the likely Auburn game/defeat at Kyle in November
vwbug
He'll be fired Fran style.
Deputy Travis Junior
Have we ever fired a coach mid-season? Seems like we're the end of the year types, though I'm sure the BMAs will reach out to their top 1 targets long before that.
Roman Empire
AG
vwbug said:

He'll be fired Fran style.
While plowing through a box of Little Debbie's?
merch
It is quite possible he lays a big enough egg to get fired mid season. If Bama beats by 50 how can he be the coach the next day.
Deputy Travis Junior
Well, he blew a 34 point lead to a team that didn't make a bowl last year. Not only that, but he did so through decision making that was so incredibly stupid, even among middle school coaches,* that "he's involved in a point shaving scheme" is literally the best, most logical way to explain it. And he's still walking the sidelines.

*not even kidding. Average middle school coaches know to exhaust the play clock and avoid pass plays when you're sitting on a 34 point lead late in the 3rd quarter. And we screwed it up two dozen times in the second half (at least). Seriously, was he freaking point shaving?
FCBlitz
I am in the top 1% of getting rid of Sumlin......but I think he will survive the first 3 conference games. Non conference losses just gives those behind the scenes discussions to get rid of Sumlin more energy.
RDV-1992
There is 0% chance he is fired prior to the conclusion of the regular season.

There is an 80% chance is he fired at the conclusion of the regular season.
Bunk Moreland
Sticking with my prediction that if the Ags drop one to either arky or USCe, then he'll be let go after the losses to bama and uf with the Ags at 3-4.
CrottyKid
AG
He is already fired privately.
Will he be let go publically during the season? I doubt it.

Also, get ready for a lot of attrition when a new, stricter, more discipline focused coach takes over. Imagine you had 100 kids of your own who were just coming home from grandma's house after being there for a long weekend. It is going to be tough to get them walking the straight and narrow again.
FCBlitz
CrottyKid said:

He is already fired privately.
Will he be let go publically during the season? I doubt it.

Also, get ready for a lot of attrition when a new, stricter, more discipline focused coach takes over. Imagine you had 100 kids of your own who were just coming home from grandma's house after being there for a long weekend. It is going to be tough to get them walking the straight and narrow again.

That is my expectation as well....bunch of kids who don't to work hard and feel threatened. I can hear it now.
dude95
AG
So you fire him mid season..then what? Do you guys have more faith in our coordinators to take over? I'd be fine if one side of the ball was stinking it up and we were good with the other. Same if there was a coach who we thought could help us limp to the end. As a pretty big Sumlin supporter, I concede at the end of the year he is gone. just don't see a reason to do it now ....i don't have any faith it will make anything better.
67walkon
100% by State
Bison
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Sticking with my prediction that if the Ags drop one to either arky or USCe, then he'll be let go after the losses to bama and uf with the Ags at 3-4.
My call as well, particularly if we start losing commits after another ugly loss. It's a lock if they are 2-5 after Florida.

9-3 is good enough to keep his job at this point, though, given that it would demonstrate improvement and would involve beating one of the following three: Bama, Auburn, or LSU.
fightinag
ZERO......
better odds that he gets a contract extension and pay raise ..... Texas A&M Football is the ultimate Aggie joke !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
W
AG
if A&M has 4 losses after the Florida game...it doesn't matter who is coaching the team...the season is over and there won't be a bowl game
fwag04
AG
If he's 2-7 after Auburn, which I think there's a good chance he will be, I think he's canned then. Interim gets New Mexico, Ole Miss, and LSU
Stumpknocker
I sense that the BMA's are a little maso. Coaching turmoil gives their lives purpose and they find it exciting. So they drag it out until the thrusts administered by the coach in question begin to lose steam. Good to the last drop!

What other reason can there be for dragging it out sooooooooo long.
TMartin
Not as likely since Sumlin's wife went public with "the letter." Sumlin can afford a good agent/lawyer.
whatthehey78
AG
TMartin said:

Not as likely since Sumlin's wife went public with "the letter." Sumlin can afford a good agent/lawyer.
Unlike Sumlin's wife, I don't think the letter is going to save his job.
aggie_accountant
AG
TMartin said:

We can all agree that the letter was horrific in more ways that one, but I honestly don't think it will impact whether or not he is fired mid-season. His performance will be the only factor in my opinion. At this point, if we lose to ULaLa (which I don't expect, but I guess is possible after Nicholls State), then I think he is gone before the Arky game. Regardless if we are 3-4 after Florida, which is the most likely scenario in my opinion, then he will get fired at that point.
"Sports do not build character. They reveal it." -John Wooden
No Spin Ag
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

He'll be here until LSU bashes our teeth in. They won't fire him until then. Zero chance he's gone mid season.
Unfortunately this. At this point the only thing one can hope for is that he ends up in the same whogivesaf'k school that fakes like fran end up, or worse since he actually had something good to work with the first couple of years.
2thFixinAg
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

I doubt he sees November on our sidelines. By then he will have lost enough that the writing will be on the wall for even the blind and his presence will be a distraction.
andrago94
AG
With the new early signing period for recruits this year, don't think you can wait until end of season. Need to fire him sooner than later and go after one of the big names currently not coaching.
northeastag
AG
Firing before the end of the season is not our style, so it won't happen. But he will be given notice before the LSU game that he is terminated following the game. Ironically, the team knows, and rally's behind him to win for the only time in his tenure

Muy
AG
I'm sure a great head coach would love to come to A&M and have to deal with a drunk BOR asswipe ripping him on Facebook.
MaxPower
At best it happens the week before LSU just to get a leg up on "officially" starting the search for the next coach. First, he could have some miracle turnaround and second you ideally don't want a long period of time without a coach. You hope the current staff keeps recruits on board and your new coach is able to quickly cut off any potential departures.
trm94
AG
As someone else said, he's gone. He has to win 10 to save his job, and that just isn't going to happen. Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and MSU alone are going to beat the crap out of this team
ignatiusreilly4ever
That isn't true. He will not be fired until the season is over.
GoodOldAgs
Muy said:

I'm sure a great head coach would love to come to A&M and have to deal with a drunk BOR asswipe ripping him on Facebook.

Mouth breather take
jeffdjohnson
There is really no point in firing mid-season. Next year's coach is not on the current staff and it isn't like Mazzone/Chavis currently have their hands tied by Sumlin in any way. A&M should quietly, behind the scenes determine its next move and then make it at the end of the year. Everyone knows the deal. No more drunk Facebook rants.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.