Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Gary Patterson

17,464 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ftworthag02
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Grimey said:

Champ Bailey said:

And we shouldn't want him. It will change this year, but Sumlin still has more wins than him since we both changed conferences.
TCU has played 10 non-P5 teams since 2012. A&M has played 18 games against non-P5 teams since 2012.

Patterson is 40-23, while Sumlin is 44-21. If you take out the easy non-P5 wins, that's 30-23 for Patterson and 26-21 for Sumlin.
Facts schmacts.
aggiehawg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

What are some good modern examples of "established" coaches going from one P5 to another P5 for money?

Bret Bielema? People always talk about hiring Jackie away from Pitt, but Pitt wasn't exactly a powerhouse before Johnny Majors and Jackie.
Kiffin from Tennessee to USC. Todd Graham went from Rice, to Tulsa, to Pitt, to Arizona State over a period of 5 years. Sarkisian left Washington for USC.

Petrino's and Saban's treks went through the NFL for brief periods before coming back to college ball. Ditto, Spurrier, Holtz, Harbaugh and likely Chip Kelly at some point. Jimbo was thiiiiisss close to jumping from FSU to LSU. Ditto Gundy from Okie Lite to Tennessee a few years back.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Grimey said:

Champ Bailey said:

And we shouldn't want him. It will change this year, but Sumlin still has more wins than him since we both changed conferences.
TCU has played 10 non-P5 teams since 2012. A&M has played 18 games against non-P5 teams since 2012.

Patterson is 40-23, while Sumlin is 44-21. If you take out the easy non-P5 wins, that's 30-23 for Patterson and 26-21 for Sumlin.

He plays in the Big 12. Not only is it way easier conference play, but the schedule forces him to play one more power 5 team a year than us. And that team is Kansas.

The point being, he is a comparable coach to Sumlin at best. Why you would want to get rid of Sumlin for a coach that has at best, one more win a season than Sumlin, and at worst 4 less wins a season than him (in a worse conference) just doesn't make sense.

Gundy is a way better option for a multitude of reasons if you are looking for a big 12 coach.
longeryak
The fan base wouldn't have the patience for Patterson's style of building a roster and he would get fired before he has a two deep of his guys with upperclassmen experience.
jml2621
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

garc said:

aggiehawg said:

He'll never leave TCU.

Why?

He says he has five places he would leave TCU for. I don't think we've ever approached him.

He and his wife are intertwined heavily with TCU booster business and real estate. The guy is pretty much tied into tr local Fort Worth community. And besides, TCU boosters could match anything we offered him. There's a reason you never hear his name when jobs open.

TCU boosters and endowment are a joke compared to ours.
jml2621
longeryak said:

The fan base wouldn't have the patience for Patterson's style of building a roster and he would get fired before he has a two deep of his guys with upperclassmen experience.

We haven't had that kind of impatience with Sumlin, Fran-tastic, or Eggie Sherman.
longeryak
jml2621 said:

longeryak said:

We haven't had that kind of impatience with Sumlin, Fran-tastic, or Eggie Sherman.
I was referencing Sherman. Fired after 4 years and his guys gave Sumlin his best years.
rebelAg02
He learned from watching Fran leave TCU what can happen if always looking for greener pastures. Very unlikely he coaches anywhere else
jml2621
Champ Bailey said:

Grimey said:

Champ Bailey said:

He plays in the Big 12. Not only is it way easier conference play, but the schedule forces him to play one more power 5 team a year than us. And that team is Kansas.

The point being, he is a comparable coach to Sumlin at best. Why you would want to get rid of Sumlin for a coach that has at best, one more win a season than Sumlin, and at worst 4 less wins a season than him (in a worse conference) just doesn't make sense.

Gundy is a way better option for a multitude of reasons if you are looking for a big 12 coach.

Gundy runs a more consistent offense. He's not happy with T-Boone...so, who knows.

The B.A.S. re: ability to recruit a quality f'ball coach is strong. If A&M's job is open, it's the hottest, best pick in the nation for a coach...unless Saban suddenly retires.
jml2621
longeryak said:

jml2621 said:

longeryak said:

I was referencing Sherman. Fired after 4 years and his guys gave Sumlin his best years.
I'd agree with that.
jml2621
rebelAg02 said:

He learned from watching Fran leave TCU what can happen if always looking for greener pastures. Very unlikely he coaches anywhere else

Hell, Patterson made Fran...and he knows it. We do, too.
TMartin
There was a post recently of richest NCAA athletic programs and TCU was on there. Besides, Patterson is royalty at TCU and he isn't stepping backwards.
Joe Exotic
AG
jml2621 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

garc said:

aggiehawg said:

He'll never leave TCU.

Why?

He says he has five places he would leave TCU for. I don't think we've ever approached him.

He and his wife are intertwined heavily with TCU booster business and real estate. The guy is pretty much tied into tr local Fort Worth community. And besides, TCU boosters could match anything we offered him. There's a reason you never hear his name when jobs open.

TCU has a $1.5 billion endowment for a school of 10,000 students. Their boosters are also loaded and full of old Texas money. They can match any offer we would throw at Patterson.
mhayden
jml2621 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

garc said:

aggiehawg said:

He'll never leave TCU.

Why?

And if we were trying to raise hundreds of millions that might come into play.

But any coach we're looking for is going to be < $10m/year, and their boosters can easily cover that if need-be.

As others have mentioned countless times -- the days of A&M being able to money-whip a high profile coach into coming here are over.
MidTnAg
AG
Patterson would not move because of the money. He would move to A&M due to the chance of having more success than he could at TCU.

It would be a better challenge for him and I believe he would take it.
77GigEm00
Patterson is just waiting for Bill Snyder to actually retire for good. At which point he will get the job and finish his career there. Seems pretty obvious.
mhayden
MidTnAg said:

Patterson would not move because of the money. He would move to A&M due to the chance of having more success than he could at TCU.

It would be a better challenge for him and I believe he would take it.

Why would he have more success in a tougher conference?

If he wants to win a title, he's capable of doing it at TCU - they've been in the hunt late in the season 2 out of the last 3 years.

Unless he think he's going to come to A&M and start beating Saban regularly, he's got a much better shot at a title at TCU.
VatoLocoAggie
We don't have enough towels for him
MidTnAg
AG
He is not going to get a title at TCU even a big 12 title either.

With the sips starting to get their act together, he will get less quality recruits than he has been getting.

I believe he would do better at A&M versus being at TCU.
Token
AG
free_mhayden said:

Peterson left Boise State because the one carrot that could be dangled to him he bit on -- the chance to coach in a P5 conference and realistically win a title.

Patterson might have left TCU 4-5 years ago, but once they moved to the Big 12 the last remaining reason to move was gone.
lol what? Peterson was offered power 5 jobs worlds better than washington (like USC, for example), and turned them down
mhayden
I think that falls back under the delusion that we are a better overall program because of money (or because we were a power 25 years ago).

No one outside of A&M fan base actually believes that.

Pointless discussion though, as he isn't leaving Tcu for A&M... hell, we couldn't even snag their OC when we wanted him.
mhayden
Due to his son.

The point is (in relation to Patterson) is that the angle of "you can win a title here" would have worked when TCU was a lower tier conference, but now that they are P5 it's no longer a carrot that will get anyone to bite. If Boise had been a P5 school with $$$, Peterson would probably still be there.
ontheway
AG
This
AnalogyAg
Quote:

. He's not leaving TCU unless it's in a pine box.

well call our College of Engineering- how hard could THAT be??
Joe Exotic
AG
MidTnAg said:

He is not going to get a title at TCU even a big 12 title either.

With the sips starting to get their act together, he will get less quality recruits than he has been getting.

I believe he would do better at A&M versus being at TCU.

Patterson already has a Big 12 title.
TheBro
Champ Bailey said:

7-6
4-8
12-1
11-2
6-7

Against the worst conference in college football.

He would have been fired twice already for his record here.
Worse than Southland?
confusedag
AG
Money
Joe Exotic
AG
TCU can match any offer we give him
WTF95
Tcu doesn't have the money we do for the coaching staff or the facilties. Their fan base is pitiful. Average attendance is pathetic. An annual also run in the worst conference in America. He could turn us around. Get paid $$$ and get out of cowtown. Morris is Dumlin Lite.
Joe Exotic
AG
WTF95 said:

Tcu doesn't have the money we do for the coaching staff or the facilties. Their fan base is pitiful. Average attendance is pathetic. An annual also run in the worst conference in America. He could turn us around. Get paid $$$ and get out of cowtown. Morris is Dumlin Lite.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. TCU's boosters are absolutely loaded and Patterson will never walk over money.
aTm2004
AG
Exactly. The only thing we could realistically offer him is a change of scenery, new conference, and new challenge while keeping him close to what he knows (Texas).
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Tamu_mgm
AG
free_mhayden said:

Peterson left Boise State because the one carrot that could be dangled to him he bit on -- the chance to coach in a P5 conference and realistically win a title.

Patterson might have left TCU 4-5 years ago, but once they moved to the Big 12 the last remaining reason to move was gone.
Peterson left Boise for Washington primarily because the Seattle area has better and more available health care for his son who has some kind of chronic condition. Everything else was secondary. He said as much.
Macarthur
WTF95 said:

As bay said, this is nonsense.
TCSD84
There are high school stadiums bigger than The froggy's.
mhayden
You don't play for national championships at your home stadium, so who cares?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.