Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Gary Patterson

17,349 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ftworthag02
Actionag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sorry misread
aTm2004
AG
aggiehawg said:

He'll never leave TCU.

I agree, but Peterson eventually left Boise St. I know there were some other circumstances at play with him as well.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
mhayden
Peterson left Boise State because the one carrot that could be dangled to him he bit on -- the chance to coach in a P5 conference and realistically win a title.

Patterson might have left TCU 4-5 years ago, but once they moved to the Big 12 the last remaining reason to move was gone.
superunknown
AG
Should have asked him 2 coaches ago.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Patterson might have left TCU 4-5 years ago, but once they moved to the Big 12 the last remaining reason to move was gone.
Agree. He's actually in a pretty good position at TCU since they joined the Big XII. The grass sure as hell wouldn't be greener in the SEC, B1G or ACC for him. Maybe in the PAC?

In the Big XII, nemesis Briles is gone. Horns are rebuilding. OU and OSU.

Trade that for Bama, LSU, Georgia? Clemson, Florida State, Miami? Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan??

He's in the most favorable eco-system for him right now.
merch
Whether or not he would leave is not the issue. The issue is would he come to ATM and the answer to that is a gigantic NO and everybody on this forum knows that. If he would, ask yourself why we don't go get him. Look what he does with mostly 3 star guys.
WTF95
Big 12 is dead as a conference. He can watch it spiral down or bail. We have $$ and he could build a winner here. Plus FW sucks. Even CS better than that dump.
Hamburger Dan
[Big 12 is dead as a conference. He can watch it spiral down or bail. We have $$ and he could build a winner here. Plus FW sucks. Even CS better than that dump.

LOL
Liquid Wrench
Patterson has been at a school that loves him and takes care of him since 1998.

Think about that. Where were you in 1998? Are you working at the same place in the same job today?

Dude's going nowhere.
Joe Exotic
AG
WTF95 said:

Big 12 is dead as a conference. He can watch it spiral down or bail. We have $$ and he could build a winner here. Plus FW sucks. Even CS better than that dump.

CS better than Fort Worth? Throttle back on the troll to make it believable
12th Ag
AG
Patterson has said before he will not leave TCU. Patterson has had the opportunity before now to jump ship to some really noce programs but does not want to leave TCU. Patterson is thinking long term. He is safe at TCU. He could be the head coach for the sips tomorrow if he wanted to, but he does not want to. He would rather create his own dynasty and be king of the mountain rather than go somewhere where the Board of Regents tweets.
huisachel
I suspect he. said there was a secret list of places he might go in order to give him some leverage with TCU.

Would you want your employer to think they own you?

And to anybody but drinkers of Maroon Koolaid, Fort Worth is a pretty good town. Most people don't consider B/CS to be one of the garden spots of Tejas but Ft.Worth is considered pretty livable.

Congrats on the big win over Nicholls State.
cr
huisachel said:

I suspect he. said there was a secret list of places he might go in order to give him some leverage with TCU.

Would you want your employer to think they own you?

And to anybody but drinkers of Maroon Koolaid, Fort Worth is a pretty good town. Most people don't consider B/CS to be one of the garden spots of Tejas but Ft.Worth is considered pretty livable.

Congrats on the big win over Nicholls State.

I agree with you on Fort Worth over CS.

As far as negotiating, he could have simply said he would never say never. And TCU leadership would be fools to think they own him even if he said "never". We might not be on the list, but I'm confident he has one.
Deputy Travis Junior
Champ Bailey said:

7-6
4-8
12-1
11-2
6-7

Against the worst conference in college football.

He would have been fired twice already for his record here.
Against the worst major conference in CFB. We love to hate on the Big 12, but there's no doubt that it's much harder than the freaking Mountain West, and that moving to a much harder league would take some time. The recruiting game is completely different.

We faced something similar moving to the SEC, but 1) the gap in conference strength was narrower* and 2) Sumlin basically got a cheat code with all the hype we generated when we kicked the door in and dropped a half billion on facilities (not to mention he was gifted by Sherman an offense that was 2001 Miami Hurricanes loaded with NFL talent)

*People are going to disagree here, but the Big 12 was a powerhouse through 2009 or 2010, and even when it started to crumble on the national stage, it was still the premier conference in Texas where we do our recruiting
trm94
AG
Long ago we could have had Patterson - not any longer though.

He's at TCU until retirement
K2-HMFIC
Nino Brown said:

Patterson, Morris and Venables should be the short list
trm94
AG
Morris, Durkin, Venables, and Aranda are the best attainable. Just watch - it will be one of them. And I am perfectly fine with that
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

Champ Bailey said:

7-6
4-8
12-1
11-2
6-7

Against the worst conference in college football.

He would have been fired twice already for his record here.
Against the worst major conference in CFB. We love to hate on the Big 12, but there's no doubt that it's much harder than the freaking Mountain West, and that moving to a much harder league would take some time. The recruiting game is completely different.

We faced something similar moving to the SEC, but 1) the gap in conference strength was narrower* and 2) Sumlin basically got a cheat code with all the hype we generated when we kicked the door in and dropped a half billion on facilities (not to mention he was gifted by Sherman an offense that was 2001 Miami Hurricanes loaded with NFL talent)

*People are going to disagree here, but the Big 12 was a powerhouse through 2009 or 2010, and even when it started to crumble on the national stage, it was still the premier conference in Texas where we do our recruiting

Sure. That's what I meant. But Patterson did not play in the Big 12 at any point when it was considered a premiere conference. And Sumlin has more wins than Patterson since that point.
Deputy Travis Junior
K2-HMFIC said:

Nino Brown said:

I don't understand why people hate him this much. He was a high school legend and a dominant OC. SMU was universally acknowledged as a MASSIVE rebuild. In fact, SMU was in such horrible shape and such a difficult turn-around that a lot of people thought Morris was an idiot simply for taking the job. "I know he wants a HC job, but he's risking his future by going to SMU. June Jones left him nothing."

Against these odds, his teams made drastic improvements in year 1, then again in year 2, and now he's 2-0 in year 3 with both Ws being blowouts.

I mean WTF would he have to do to "earn" respect? Did you actually expect him to lead to a bowl in season 1 a team that was 128/128 in scoring offense and 127/128 in scoring defense in the year prior to his arrival? That's literally worse than Kansas despite a MUCH easier schedule.
mhayden
I think the problem many have with Morris is that if we're spending as much as we are on everything else with this program, that we shouldn't be looking for an unproven coach.
Macarthur
free_mhayden said:

I think the problem many have with Morris is that if we're spending as much as we are on everything else with this program, that we shouldn't be looking for an unproven coach.
But everyone now is paying big $ for coaches. You just can't money whip coaches like you could years ago.

And established coaches are no sure thing either. Pulling Fran from bama was a huge get.
Macarthur
Deputy Travis Junior said:

K2-HMFIC said:

Nino Brown said:

I don't understand why people hate him this much. He was a high school legend and a dominant OC. SMU was universally acknowledged as a MASSIVE rebuild. In fact, SMU was in such horrible shape and such a difficult turn-around that a lot of people thought Morris was an idiot simply for taking the job. "I know he wants a HC job, but he's risking his future by going to SMU. June Jones left him nothing."

Against these odds, his teams made drastic improvements in year 1, then again in year 2, and now he's 2-0 in year 3 with both Ws being blowouts.

I mean WTF would he have to do to "earn" respect? Did you actually expect him to lead to a bowl in season 1 a team that was 128/128 in scoring offense and 127/128 in scoring defense in the year prior to his arrival? That's literally worse than Kansas despite a MUCH easier schedule.

I agree with this. Morris has done a great job and I would bet this is his last year at SMU. Someone is going to nab him this year.

TheWoodsAg
AG
Quote:

WTF would he have to do to "earn" respect?

field a defense that doesn't let a service academy drop 75 points on you.....
mhayden
Macarthur said:

free_mhayden said:

But everyone now is paying big $ for coaches. You just can't money whip coaches like you could years ago.

And established coaches are no sure thing either. Pulling Fran from bama was a huge get.

I don't disagree with you. I have no real opinion either way on Morris, just pointing out why people likely aren't excited about him.
Liquid Wrench
What are some good modern examples of "established" coaches going from one P5 to another P5 for money?

Bret Bielema? People always talk about hiring Jackie away from Pitt, but Pitt wasn't exactly a powerhouse before Johnny Majors and Jackie.
Deputy Travis Junior
That was obviously pretty bad, but he took over a team that was the worst in all of college football in scoring and the second worst in all of college football in preventing scores. You don't fix that without a few major bumps in the road.

I'm not #TeamMorris by any means and hope we do a thorough search this time, but they were -31 in points per game margin (that is, average points scored - average points allowed) before he arrived, -20ish in his first year, -8ish last year, and right now are like +30 (obviously lots of football left to be played). That is major, major improvement every single year.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Honestly, if TCU was still in the MWC he might take our call but now that he has a path to to playoff (even a tougher one like the B12) he isn't going anywhere.

He gets to be a statue coach at a program that loves him and pays him and has reasonable expectations at the helm of TX flagship football program in a conference where most of the contenders are rebuilding.

How rare is that in CFB?

He's never leaving TCU
FlyFish95
I love it when people who have absolutely zero knowledge of a situation say things like, "He's never leaving."
trm94
AG
I have a lot of knowledge. He isn't interested
aledo57
AG
Even if Patterson would leave TCU, which he won't, what, exactly do we have to offer him? Money? TCU got plenty of that. Facilities? Ours is definitely nice, but TCU just rebuilt all their facilities as well. Location? TCU stuck in the middle of what can be described as not the worst neighborhood in Fort Worth. The guy who said CS>FW is incorrect. Fan base? I'm betting he doesn't get racist letters when he loses games he should win, regardless of who sends it. Talent and Conference? Sec is better but he currently owns Texas football. Storied program? Recent history says TCU wins this hands down.

We have nothing to draw him. We would be a step down.
Lateralus Ag
AG
DryFly said:

I love it when people who have absolutely zero knowledge of a situation say things like, "He's never leaving."

He's never leaving to coach at Texas A&M.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
And we shouldn't want him. It will change this year, but Sumlin still has more wins than him since we both changed conferences.
Grimey
Champ Bailey said:

And we shouldn't want him. It will change this year, but Sumlin still has more wins than him since we both changed conferences.
TCU has played 10 non-P5 teams since 2012. A&M has played 18 games against non-P5 teams since 2012.

Patterson is 40-23, while Sumlin is 44-21. If you take out the easy non-P5 wins, that's 30-23 for Patterson and 26-21 for Sumlin.
QCAg93
AG
Offer him a contract to at least hopefully force TCU to spend more on him and less on other things like recruiting or facilities. TCU has sadly been doing better than us in football and baseball for sure so it can be a hard sale.
RAB83
AG
WTF95 said:

Really?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.