Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Hubenak

13,964 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cmarkmat
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S

Not saying he should be our starter but I was shocked to see this.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I agree he should start.
- mrs hubenak
Aston 91
AG
So we should start Hubenak and call play action passes every play?...
OregonAggie
AG
Aston 91 said:

So we should start Hubenak and call play action passes every play?...

What else would you gather from this???

TexanJeff
AG
So he had a 25 rating otherwise?
Whitehorse
AG
Watch the end of the Mississippi games and tell me Hubes should start....
vander54
S
TexanJeff said:

So he had a 25 rating otherwise?

His overall rating last year was 145.2.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jake-hubenak-1.html
_mpaul
AG
Whitehorse said:

It's ridiculous to make a judgment like that when you throw him into a game where we need to throw the ball, we lose a starting lineman, and have a crappy running game. I'm not saying he should start, but he could be a solid college QB with the right people around him.
W
AG
beating a dead horse...but it's texags...

in the Ole Miss game in the second half...he has to...has to...check out of the QB sneak on 4th & 1 when Ole Miss pinches down to cover the A gaps.

that is quarterbacking 101. Cannot run the sneak vs. that alignment
Meximan
Don't college ratings go up to 200+ though?
Azariah
AG
Good stat find, Jake.
Sparkie
AG
So who on the defense should start?

Ian Neff
AG
_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

It's ridiculous to make a judgment like that when you throw him into a game where we need to throw the ball, we lose a starting lineman, and have a crappy running game. I'm not saying he should start, but he could be a solid college QB with the right people around him.

So could I.
merc
AG
I bet if the coaching staff thinks our run game will be exceptional Jake is the starter. Hot seat etc. etc. If Sumlin is feeling ballsy and wants to gamble on the potential over experience it will be one of the other two. The upside is greater but the start might be a bit rough.
ag_eet
AG
I would have expected this to be about Austin Allen.
vander54
S
merc said:

I bet if the coaching staff thinks our run game will be exceptional Jake is the starter. Hot seat etc. etc. If Sumlin is feeling ballsy and wants to gamble on the potential over experience it will be one of the other two. The upside is greater but the start might be a bit rough.

This is only if Starkel or Mond don't pull away. If one of them shows they are better you have to start them. If Hubes shows he is the best QB but it's close than your statement is true.
Tamu_mgm
AG
_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

We did not have a crappy running game last year.
vander54
S
Tamu_mgm said:

_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

The Ole Miss game was one of our worst yards per rush games all year. Overall we had a good rushing game but this game was not one of our best.
Ian Neff
AG
You know what I still can't believe?

We were up 24-9 against UCLA with 4:30 left in the 4th. Then they tied us.

AND WE HAD THE BALL TWICE IN THAT 4:30.

Stats. WHO CARES? Can you run the ball when you have to? If not, the number of yards you stack up against PVAM won't protect you.
Ian Neff
AG
I'm freaking out over here. Serious. The most discouraging game in 2016 was a WIN. If we can't get that "HOLY CRAP WE'RE ABOUT TO WIN I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - I HOPE I DONT SCREW UP" mentality out of the souls of EVERY PERSON ON THE SIDELINE then we're not going to make 8-5.
heddy Lamarr
AG
Jake started against Ole Miss and UTSA. His stats should actually look a lot better than they do - neither team had a defense
_mpaul
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

Not talking about last year so much as the MSU game. Regardless, we did consistently have problems picking up short yardage to sustain drives.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Ian Neff said:

You know what I still can't believe?

We were up 24-9 against UCLA with 4:30 left in the 4th. Then they tied us.

AND WE HAD THE BALL TWICE IN THAT 4:30.

Stats. WHO CARES? Can you run the ball when you have to? If not, the number of yards you stack up against PVAM won't protect you.

Did we even try to run the ball at the end of that game? I know we had a bunch of < 1 minute drives that gassed our defense throughout the season
P.C. Principal
Whitehorse said:

I agree to some extent, but the OLine was about as effective as tissue paper in those games.
1995aggie
AG
I respectfully disagree. You already know what you get with Hubs and I find it extremely hard to believe that both Starkell AND Mond aren't already better overall. Less experience is a negative factor for sure but both of these other guys must give you better chance to win going forward, and even early. Sumlin knows he's on the hot seat but can't imagine starting Hubs under pretty much any scenario right now. Sumlin isn't going to let the pressure get to him. He will start the best guy with the biggest upside regardless even if it's risky
Texan1976
vander54 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

The Ole Miss game was one of our worst yards per rush games all year. Overall we had a good rushing game but this game was not one of our best.
Trevor Knight was a gifted runner and athlete at QB. Him playing helped the running game tremendously as the defense could not key in on the backs. He did not play against Ole Miss.
vander54
S
Texan1976 said:

vander54 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

Trevor Knight was a gifted runner and athlete at QB. Him playing helped the running game tremendously as the defense could not key in on the backs. He did not play against Ole Miss.

I know. We had 3 freshman playing on our interior OL. That's a huge reason we needed a running QB last year. Our run game took a hit against Ole Miss and forced Hubenak to stay in the pocket with an OL that struggled at times to create a pocket. I do think if he has a decent OL (we should this year) and good RB he could be a good QB. Granted Starkel and Mond have much higher ceilings so if it's close you almost have to go with one of them.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ian Neff said:

_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

So could I.

I couldn't.
Ian Neff
AG
Bro. I believe in you.
NattyOrBust
AG
Can we revive Boobs For Hubes?
NyAggie
AG
Could see the scenario where starkel and mond struggle vs ucla and Hines comes in in relief and gets us the win and becomes the starter for game 2
Drew_Hill
NyAggie said:

Could see the scenario where starkel and mond struggle vs ucla and Hines comes in in relief and gets us the win and becomes the starter for game 2
That would be quite impressive for a true freshman LB to come in and lead us to victory at QB. Looking forward to it.
amarilloags
1995aggie said:

I respectfully disagree. You already know what you get with Hubs and I find it extremely hard to believe that both Starkell AND Mond aren't already better overall. Less experience is a negative factor for sure but both of these other guys must give you better chance to win going forward, and even early. Sumlin knows he's on the hot seat but can't imagine starting Hubs under pretty much any scenario right now. Sumlin isn't going to let the pressure get to him. He will start the best guy with the biggest upside regardless even if it's risky
This is spot on. Hubes is a good man and an average D1 quarterback. He is very stable and good to have on our team. I believe that his ceiling is 8 wins with little or no room for improvement. I have been very impressed with the long term focus of Sumlin. He proved this to me with the Stidham situation. If he were focused solely on his job rather than building the best possible team for the future, he would have picked up Stidham and easily won 8-9 games this year. However, he would have lost Mond, Ausbon (an amazing WR), Marichol, and, possibly, Starkel in the process -- this would harm the future of the team. With our AD and many Aggies questioning his tenure, many coaches would have gone for security. I expect him to continue to focus on the future and play both Starkel and Mond a great deal this season.
Seanzy2012
AG
_mpaul said:

Whitehorse said:

I really don't think Hube's is a bad QB, he's actually a good QB but I think it depends on the receivers.

Kid can toss the rock a mile, but just from watching his games last year it seemed his passes were in slow motion.

They were accurate, they got there, but they didn't have a ton of power behind them.

Josh Reynolds actually seemed to thrive on those passes, but Christian Kirk seemed to struggle.

Hit Kirk with a line drive he usually caught it. When Allen was our QB, he was able to put some power behind those throws and Kirk usually came down with them.

Seeing as Kirk is our go-to on offense this year, I don't think Hube's would be the right fit., but you never know, both could have improved and caught a rhythm in the off-season.

jwal
Hubenak might be the best choice to open the season.

I'm not against the younger QB's, but there is likely to be growing pains. It wouldn't surprise to see more than one QB against UCLA to see what it all looks like.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.