Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

1996 vs BYU - God Dang It

5,800 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
Windy City Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember the game well. The big shocker was our defense. We still had wrecking crew cred so giving up 41 points was really unheard of at that point. We had no pass rush and the BYU passing game lit us up.
buffalo chip
S
My foggy memory from being there...

Late Aggie TD would have likely won it for us but we were flagged for not enough players on the LOS. Legit call yet tacky tacky.

Also, my tea didn't have caffeine in it - that pissed me off too.

Grrr!
SoTxAg
AG
That '96 byu game was on the same day as my bachelor party. My despair of losing that game was somewhat forgotten by the end of the night.
MB19
AG
IIRC: That '96 team under DC Phil Bennett, was trying to play a 4-3, which I'm not convinced it had all the parts to run. Never mind the injuries and guys playing for themselves. That BYU game should not have been lost any more than the USL game should have been lost. The reason we played in south Louisiana was that we had a multi game contract with them and as part of the deal, gave them a home game.

The '96 team and the 2011 team seem to be similar. Talented yet managed to find ways to lose, and in an incredibly frustrating fashion.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Aggie said:

Steve Sarkesian ... Still can't stand him.

But all honestly 1996 was a crazy year.
We were 6-6 and were literally 4 plays away from 10-2... With only losses being Colorado and at Texas.
BYU game - lead whole game and let BYU come back. Offensive lit it up
SW louisiana .. Every opportunity to win
Kansas state- botched a scoring opportunity at the 1 yard line as time expired in 1st half then fumbled last possession going for winning score - lost by 3
Texas Tech - lost by 3. defense gave up 1 TD.. Many lost opportunities

1996 was the year that if it could go wrong, it did go wrong. If our kick returners could catch the ball and not fumble the return, it was a victory.
I was at the K-state game. The Ags turned the ball over a lot. One thing that struck me was with about 5 or 6 minutes left and K-state had the ball, they took a couple of delay of game penalties and the referees restarted the game clock after assessing the penalty. Of course, RC being clueless to this never said a word to the refs. We were driving late in the game for the winning score. We completed a pass to a receiver down to about the K-state 15 with lass than a minute left and while struggling for extra yards, the receiver fumbled the ball. Pretty much summed up that year in a nutshell.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.