Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

1996 vs BYU - God Dang It

5,804 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Emilio Fantastico
Nebules
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
34 seconds to go in the 3rd, A&M up 34-26 with over 400 yards of offense, Branndon Stewart - the QB we'd always longed for - is having a great debut game, the running backs are having a great game, the defense is forcing turnovers on a really good BYU team, and then....

What the freakin' hell happened? This game irks me more than most.

We had some good years through the rest of the RC era, but in a few minutes we switch course from a solid Top 10 program to an erratic underperformer that spells the end of RC and the end of conference championships.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Nebules said:

34 seconds to go in the 3rd, A&M up 34-26 with over 400 yards of offense, Branndon Stewart - the QB we'd always longed for - is having a great debut game, the running backs are having a great game, the defense is forcing turnovers on a really good BYU team, and then....

We had some good years through the rest of the RC era, but in a few minutes we switch course from a solid Top 10 program to an erratic underperformer that spells the end of RC and the end of conference championships.

Except we won the conference in 1998?
Wabs
AG
Post 1996

Nebules
AG
Yeah - 1998 was a championship year and a helluva ride, but bookended by that awful 1997 54-15 wipe-out by Nebraska and a disasterous 1999, and looks like an aberration in hindsight.
Cy_Tolliver
Nebules said:

Yeah that game was frustrating. It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember an awful call (or noncall) late in the game that sealed our fate as we were driving for a potential winning score.

Also, we were up 10-0 in that game and had forced a 3 and out. To that point we looked unbeatable. Then we muffed a punt.
Wabs
AG
Nebules said:

Yeah - 1998 was a championship year and a helluva ride, but bookended by that awful 1997 54-15 wipe-out by Nebraska and a disasterous 1999, and looks like an aberration in hindsight.
Aggie football is a continual loop of aberrations for me.
Aggie
AG
Steve Sarkesian ... Still can't stand him.

But all honestly 1996 was a crazy year.
We were 6-6 and were literally 4 plays away from 10-2... With only losses being Colorado and at Texas.
BYU game - lead whole game and let BYU come back. Offensive lit it up
SW louisiana .. Every opportunity to win
Kansas state- botched a scoring opportunity at the 1 yard line as time expired in 1st half then fumbled last possession going for winning score - lost by 3
Texas Tech - lost by 3. defense gave up 1 TD.. Many lost opportunities

Post removed:
by user
AGinHI
AG
Nebules said:

It was a long drive back.

Good thing I was with fellow Dry Bean bartenders. They made 27 some hours go by fast.
Nebules
AG
I remember the relatively low expectations prior to 97 and 98 - nothing like before 96, 95, etc. Dat was interviewed just prior to the 97 kick-off and remarked about the "quiet confidence" of the players amidst the cloud of doubt among fans. 98 was better, but we didn't re-gain any of that early-decade swagger until late in the season, after a bunch of rainy games dominated by a ground game and Randy McCown's option play.

I don't mean to discount 97 and 98 at all (Stewart raising his arms after his TD pass to tie the B12 championship game is my fondest memory), but that damn 1996 BYU game just seemed like the last time we felt like we truly had all of the pieces in place to be an elite team.
MosesRAB-93
AG
I miss Slocum's defense, but not his prevent offense. It was totally maddening at times.

At least growing up an Oilers fan prepared me for college.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That '96 team lost a couple early and then had some key veterans tank. Guys playing for themselves (with thoughts of the NFL) vs the team.
OrygunAg
AG
Wabs said:

Nebules said:

Aggie football is a continual loop of aberrations for me.

Amen
_mpaul
AG
96 was the third and last year of Steve Ensminger. He was brought in as a highly coveted QB coach / OC, but we got worse under him each year. Also, I think our DB were very young that year. I want to say 3 freshman and a walk-on sophomore. That might have been the year Donovan Greer was supposed to start but either got injured or kicked off the team.
cc10106
Aggie said:

Texas Tech - lost by 3. defense gave up 1 TD.. Many lost opportunities
I don't remember a lot of good happening that day for A&M while in the stands at Kyle back when Tech was running back U. That entire season sucked.
_mpaul
AG
That Tech game was the game Sammy Morris beat us for a long pass down the sideline . . . and then was declared academically ineligible the next week (or shortly thereafter)
Ian Neff
AG
Isn't weird how time goes on?
Tripacer
We gave up 6 or 7 turnovers to the cajuns. Pick sixes and fumble returns galore. It was the second worst Aggie game I ever watched. And why in the world was that an away game?

That was a bad season. Texas wins the first B12 championship and our decade of dominance as the "it" school in Texas was over.
_mpaul
AG
Try 8. I think we had 4 interceptions and 4 fumbles.
HTownAg
AG
attended that game

Great trip...horrible game
ghollow
AG
I remember the 1990 Holiday Bowl when the BYU coach made a statement in a press conference that he was upset because the NCAA couldn't find them a better opponent than A&M. He shouldn't have said that.

One of Bucky Richardson's best games
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've always contended, though I don't have firm proof, that Slocum's coaching changed after the 1990 Holiday Bowl blowout. He was stung by criticism that he ran up the score. No one mentioned the pregame talking BYU was doing about having to play a bowl and team that was "beneath them." But after 1990, we put on the brakes on most games when we got a 3-4 touchdown lead. I don't know how many games it cost us.

I believe BYU was a replacement game because LSU pussied out of their contract with us. Which explains why we only went there and they didn't come here in return.
Aggie
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I believe BYU was a replacement game because LSU pussied out of their contract with us. Which explains why we only went there and they didn't come here in return.

The 1996 BYU game was actually the pigskin classic.
We played Stanford in the 1992 pigskin classic when it was played at Anaheim stadium.. It was played in Anaheim each year untill 1995 when it moved to home sites.

Ags also played in the kickoff classic in 1988 vs Nebraska and Florida State in 1998. Both those games were at Giants Stadium.
agz win
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I've always contended, though I don't have firm proof, that Slocum's coaching changed after the 1990 Holiday Bowl blowout. He was stung by criticism that he ran up the score. No one mentioned the pregame talking BYU was doing about having to play a bowl and team that was "beneath them." But after 1990, we put on the brakes on most games when we got a 3-4 touchdown lead. I don't know how many games it cost us.

Actually, RC didn't like to run up the score before or after that game, unless it was necessary.

Dirty hypocrite Lavelle made it necessary.

Give us room.
Aggie_95
AG
Aggie
AG
Pretty sure Wilbert Biggins was not on the '96 team.
The muffed punt was from a freshman.. Jennings believe was his last name, don't remember first name.
Maroon Flash
AG
Playing ul la la in Lafayette was an exercise in stupidity equaled only by agreeing to play la tech in Shreveport. y
austagg99
Nebules said:

I remember the relatively low expectations prior to 97 and 98 - nothing like before 96, 95, etc. Dat was interviewed just prior to the 97 kick-off and remarked about the "quiet confidence" of the players amidst the cloud of doubt among fans. 98 was better, but we didn't re-gain any of that early-decade swagger until late in the season, after a bunch of rainy games dominated by a ground game and Randy McCown's option play.

I don't mean to discount 97 and 98 at all (Stewart raising his arms after his TD pass to tie the B12 championship game is my fondest memory), but that damn 1996 BYU game just seemed like the last time we felt like we truly had all of the pieces in place to be an elite team.

I agree with almost everything you said here except in 98 when we beat Nebraska. At the time that was equivalent to beating bamma today. And the 28-21(if my memory serves me correct) score doesn't do it justice because we owned them that game. RCs prevent was the only thing that even made it close.
_mpaul
AG
Aggie said:

Pretty sure Wilbert Biggins was not on the '96 team.
The muffed punt was from a freshman.. Jennings believe was his last name, don't remember first name.
Michael?
jagvocate
AG
My Zip year. Mental weakness.
NyAggie
AG
1996 byu game was the first time cracks opened up in the wrecking crew

Byu picked us apart that game satkisian had over 500 yards passing I think in that game

1996 was a bad season and the beginning of mediocrity
W
AG
yep, the Ags led 20-6 in the 2nd quarter when Jennings muffed a punt that had already hit the ground...that turned the tide.

both aggie starting corners...Greer and Williams came into the game with knee injuries
W
AG
and that same player would fumble a kickoff vs. Colorado 3 weeks later that the Buffs quickly turned into points. It may have been the opening kickoff.

talk about winning a recruiting battle...that it might have been better to lose
Nebules
AG
Quote:

1996 byu game was the first time cracks opened up in the wrecking crew

... 1996 was a bad season and the beginning of mediocrity

Yep. This from a post-game recap following the SW Louisiana loss...

"The Aggies, who were idle for two weeks after a 41-37 loss to
BYU in the Pigskin Classic, likely will have their 109-week run
of being ranked in either the Associated Press or the USA
Today/CNN poll come to an end. Texas A&M is 0-2 for the first
time since 1988, when it went 7-5."
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

The 1996 BYU game was actually the pigskin classic.

I had forgotten that, but do you think we would have played in that game if LSU were still on the schedule? Who knows for sure.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.