Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Did you have a computer in college?

3,214 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JustisWalkert
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor, MacResource Computers:

If so, what kind was it? If not, what did you use?

MacResource is Aggie Owned & Operated for more than twenty years and the only source for former students to buy at education prices.

Shop now in-store and online at: store.mac-resource.com
Join us on Facebook, or give us a call: (979)314-0537

Meximan
A custom-built Pentium 3 culled together from top-of-the-line bargain bin parts.

It still runs, too.
MouthBQ98
AG
"Won" a Compaq 80486 in a raffle at the very end of my senior year in highschool. That became my school PC.
fwheightsboy
AG
A Royal portable manual typewriter.
Try writing term papers on that. If you messed up on a page, you got to start that page all over.
No internet, no smart phones,no word processing, no formatting, no spell check, no Google, no Wikipedia. No nothing. And no Starbucks!!
Lateralus Ag
AG
Meximan said:

A custom-built Pentium 3 culled together from top-of-the-line bargain bin parts.

It still runs, too.

If you went to college, why do you work 70+ hours a week working three jobs?
Agmechanic
AG
I had a packard bell pentium 133.
dmcag84
AG
When I was in school, "What's a computer?"

Seriously, the school got a big donation of TI computers when they had a plant in CS (or were planning it). Used them in the business and engineering schools. The first PCs I ever used had no hard drive, like a 5kb RAM and used 2 1.2 MB floppies.

My first personal one was an Apple IIe, but that was late in my college career.

#oldfartproblems
Meximan
Lateralus Ag said:

Meximan said:

It still runs, too.

If you went to college, why do you work 70+ hours a week working three jobs?

It's closer to either one full and two part timers, or four part timers, plus two more volunteer jobs for charity orgs/conventions.

I was stupid and withdrew instead of switching my major. I didn't know until 3 years later, though, that I really wanted to be an artist, because I was terrible at the time and didn't think I ever could be a serious artist. I'm still terrible, but that's a different story.

I didn't discover until about two years later, also, that my best talent is in writing, but you can't make money writing unless you're already making money. None of the magazines like my short stories so I haven't sold any.

Financially, car repairs have plain buried me; I dropped $2250 to fix my car this month, and not one week later the flexplate cracked again, or another $1500-$2500 depending on if it takes out the torque converter, which it probably will. I have zero good fortune with cars. Most of my debt is actually car repairs from up to ten years ago.

Stay in school, even if you end up hating your study. I would've ended up miserable in my work, but at least I'd be making bank.
ABATTBQ87
AG
I had a typewriter and a sharp handheld calculator
Clavell
AG
Used the computer lab on campus. Keyed in those punch cards and handed them over for my 1 run per day.
Aftermath
AG
No, I couldn't afford the building I would have needed to store it..
Canvasback
AG
Just a slide rule when I went.
peace
S
Started in '59, so no!
erin2003
AG
Compaq 486 that ran windows 3.1

The dorms had just gotten ethernet. I had to drag that giant thing from 4th floor Mosher to the computer office by the O&M building to get the dang thing to work.
ag_derp
AG
I had a Macbook Pro mid 2010. A little about it: the MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch (Mid-2010) features a 45 nm "Penryn" 2.4 GHz Intel "Core 2 Duo" processor (P8600), with two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip, a 3 MB shared "on chip" level 2 cache, a 1066 MHz frontside bus, 4 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500) installed in pairs (two 2 GB modules), a 250 GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) hard drive, an 8X DL "SuperDrive", a NVIDIA GeForce 320M "graphics processor with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory", integrated iSight, and an LED-backlit 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution).

Connectivity includes AirPort Extreme (802.11a/b/g/n), Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, a Firewire "800" port, two USB 2.0 ports, the same "combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)" port used by the iPhone, a "Mini DisplayPort" that supports an external display at 2560x1600 (it also passes an audio signal), and an SD card slot.

This model uses a "Unibody" aluminum case design -- milled from a single piece of aluminum -- and has a backlit keyboard, a new "no button" glass "inertial" multi-touch trackpad, and a non-swappable battery design that provides up to 10 hours of battery life.

Compared to its predecessor, this model has a very similar external enclosure, but an enhanced trackpad, and the same connectivity, except for the enhanced audio passing Mini DisplayPort. Internally, it has a similar architecture as well (with the same bus speed and memory), but has improved graphics and battery life.

It did the job lasted me the four years before I sold it for half the price I bought it. It saw the last 2 years in the BDF and the Manziel years.
BSCE84ag
AG
No. I used the Campus computer...Wilber? or something like that. Ate thru my 15 bucks fast if the Fortran wasn't just right. (most of the time) Got thru that course. After I graduated, I got some money and bought a portable TRS80 (POS). Wrote basic programs and made basic calculators. Life was great. Helped build my office in the public sector with graphics machines in the late 80s. Then AutoCAD....

Today is a marvel.

OldCorpsTerd86
AG
of course not - the only access to computers I had in 19 hundred and 86 was 5 units in Langford (architecture building). 4 were 'top of the line' pc's and one was an older mac. there was always a line behind the mac, but the pc's rarely got used.
Jim Benson 63
AG
Of course. It was called a slide rule back then.
JustisWalkert
AG
I paid $40 for a used TI calculator that did nothing but add, subtract, multiply, and divide. It may or may not have fit in my shirt pocket, depending on what shirt I was wearing.
Class of 65
AG
Post Slide Rule
E A DANNHAUS Class of 65
AgEngineer72
AG
Sliderule and Royal portable typewriter. Still have the sliderule and can still use it.

Had a young guy bring me an engineer's scale and asked me how to use that "sliderule." What do they teach in engineering school if kids graduate without knowing what a scale is?
ag_eet
AG
1986: 386 computers had just come out but were too expensive. So I got a 10Mhz 286 clone with 20MB HD and EGA monitor. I used my student loan money to buy it. I bought TurboC and some C books then taught myself C programming to write a program for a class. Never would have finished if I had to do the project in the library computer center.
67walkon
Yep. Big as a city block. Carried around boxes with hundreds of fortran punch cards.
cazadore
Yea, I had a computer in college. It was called the RCC at the basement of the Sterling C. Evans/E.B. Cushing Library. FORTRAN was the preferred language du jour. We've come a long way, folks! After I graduated, I bought a 286 with my second paycheck and thought I had gone to computer heaven.
AnotherAg1
AG
Canvasback said:

Just a slide rule when I went.
Try staying up half the night working aircraft structural problems on a slide rule. Great fun.
(Still have the slide rule somewhere)
Padre_Island_Ag
AG
Class of '86...is WYLBUR still alive, or was he put to rest years ago?

:-)

Let's go Brandon!

Soli Deo Gloria
kbarj
AG
Class of '77, so no. Did have a scientific calculator though.
pirmag
AG
We needed a slide rule.
Ian Neff
AG
I used to go to the computer lab. And then I'd get there and be weirded out by it and leave.
Hehateme1
Child please .... I graduated college in 1986. My own computer ..... yeah..... and my own bunch of nekkid little coeds dancing around hoping to catch my eye.
Coastieag82
Sliderule, mechanical adding machine that had to be flipped to change places. Physics lab had a Wang. Biggest and most versatile computer on campus had vacuum tubes. Punch cards forced me to move to Austin in 1969. Population 250,000, I-35 was deserted, often had a whole lane to yourself.
JustisWalkert
AG
I have a Wang too
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.