Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Winner announced for college move-in day memories

2,602 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Willis
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor, The Sleep Station:

Congrats to lotoarmy - you're the winner! Just reply to suzanne@texags.com to claim your prize. Here's his entry:
June, 1967, Dorm 18, old Sibisa corps area. Parents just left for home in Louisiana. I just realized I knew no one for 250 miles. Feeling down, way down.

I walk back to my previously empty room and there stands a guy about my size and age. He whips out (found out soon that was what it was called) and said Howdy, Fish Harvey is my name. I am your fish old lady! Let's go eat some Mexican food. We went directly to Zarrappe's and filled up. We both got ME degrees, we were commissioned in the Army, settled within 60 miles of each other, and have been eating Mexican food together for 50 years, now.

A&M is truly a special place.

Move-in day is coming up soon in Aggieland. Tell is your favorite move-in day story and you'll be entered to win a TexAgs t-shirt!

WELCOME TO (or back to) AGGIELAND!
Got a mattress yet?? If not, I think we've gotcha covered with:
*FREE same day delivery!
*Free set-up
*Queen mattress sets start as low as $199.00!
*Plus bed frames, pillows, sheets, and mattress toppers!

TWO LOCATIONS SERVING AGGIELAND:
-1731 Texas Ave S in the Spec's shopping center next to Napa Flats Wood-Fired Kitchen 979-696-1255
OR
-South College Station (WD Fitch and Hwy 6) in front of Lowes! 979-690-6016

AND our Lubbock store at 4206 19th Street; 806-701-5364 (Next to Foot Tech) You can even shop in Lubbock and schedule deliveries in BCS!

The Sleep Station
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006!
Gig'em!

TexasAg21
I enjoyed giving students directions to the elevators in Moore Hall.
AgBQ-00
AG
Cadre being super cool while parents were in the quad. Then all hell breaks loose that evening.
Mr. Havok
AG
Helped a friend move one summer. Didn't strap her mattress down as well as I should have in my truck bed. Damn thing flew off on the 2818 overpass going over Wellborn. Fortunately landed just behind me and the dudes in the car behind me hopped out and loaded it back into my truck bed.
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
Mr. Havok said:

Helped a friend move one summer. Didn't strap her mattress down as well as I should have in my truck bed. Damn thing flew off on the 2818 overpass going over Wellborn. Fortunately landed just behind me and the dudes in the car behind me hopped out and loaded it back into my truck bed.
oops!
Punked Shank
AG
Moved in freshman year into Crocker. Met some people. Went and got really drunk. Flash forward one week and I witnessed aggie football lose to Arkansas state.

Memory was to always temper aggie sport expectations. It's tradition.
lotoarmy
AG
June, 1967, Dorm 18, old Sibisa corps area. Parents just left for home in Louisiana. I just realized I knew no one for 250 miles. Feeling down, way down.

I walk back to my previously empty room and there stands a guy about my size and age. He whips out (found out soon that was what it was called) and said Howdy, Fish Harvey is my name. I am your fish old lady! Let's go eat some Mexican food. We went directly to Zarrappe's and filled up. We both got ME degrees, we were commissioned in the Army, settled within 60 miles of each other, and have been eating Mexican food together for 50 years, now.

A&M is truly a special place.
Last of the Old Army
FriscoAggieFan
AG
^
^
Love this
Ag Mom 91
S
When helping my son move into his Corps dorm when he was a Fish, I accidentally dropped a large plastic bottle of liquid laundry detergent on the steps outside of the dorm, which popped open and spilled blue sticky liquid all over the steps........ The look on son's face was complete horror as was mine!! His Corps buddies came to the rescue, kind of, by bringing buckets of water to pour over the liquid!! Of course, this created a sea of bubbles running down the steps onto the sidewalk!!

It was a very memorable "first day" move-in, to say the least!
redAg13
AG
My mom getting a ticket for parking in a handicapped spot while we unloaded my things to move into Aston. At the time I had no idea how quick to give tickets the parking attendants were. I'm well aware of their savagery now.
fwheightsboy
AG
My parents dropped me and my footlocker off at Dorm 17 in Sabisa area. I walked out to the parking lot and said good bye.Walked back into the dorm when I heard someone yelling. He was yelling at me to get my f---ing d-bag ass down to see him. Things did not improve for a long time.
thebubbaisin
AG
Puryear Hall, 1992

Finally got the courage to use the restroom facilities in Ramp 5. No air conditioning was easy compared to the bathrooms....no lock on the door and no stalls. Just a promise that "everyone knocks".

30 seconds in, and another guy walks in, sits down and goes about his business. 10 seconds later two more guys walk in with chairs, a small table and dominoes.

And that, friends, is the sad but very true story of how I learned to play 42.

(It never happened again, and everyone really did knock after that.)

fishJones
AG
Moms and new freshman chicks buying dorm supplies at Target.
Sparkie
AG
Young ladies in tight white a&m shirts

Lots of rain

ag-bq-seventy
AG
Doing pushups for Henry Cisneros in the south stoop of Dorm 11 because I whipped out to him (inartfully) while Jim Davidson sat beside him.

Some of you may know why that was an egregious offense.

Later that night Jerry Jerrell (Maroon Band rum Major) busted into our hole and caught my Fish ol'e lady and I looking out over the golf course at the absolute darkness, wondering what we had gotten ourselves into. The lights were out.

More pushups. But, at least I had company. And close supervision.

We didn't need to wonder what we had gotten ourselves into any more.
Predmid
AG
Eh, my move in story is pretty boring. Arrived at FHK knowing only the people I met at Fish Camp. Some dudes in green & yellow hats yelled at me to come down from the balcony to join them in playing dominoes. The yellow hat who taught me 42 will be best man at my wedding this October.

My story GETTING there was more interesting.

I lived in the swamps of Florida (which is now major suburbia, it's amazing how quickly it all has developed).

Hurricane Charlie hit Florida pretty hard in 2004. It was 7 days before I was to board a flight to College Station to go to Fish Camp and then move into the dorms right after.

My neighborhood and the roads around it were chaos. Trees down, powerlines down. One of the newer oak trees in my yard tree fell in the storm right onto my truck & totaling it. The big thing was most of the roads in and out of the neighborhoods were completely blocked by downed trees.

With no power and minimal running water for most of that week, I spent long hours working with my dad & my brother to clean out a path between my house and the major highway so that I could drive to the airport. We bathed in the pool as best we could and slept wherever we could to be cool.

I ended up calling around to various friends the day before my flight to see if anyone had running water & power so I could do a load of laundry so I could at least arrive in Texas with some clean clothes. All in all, it was 6 days of chainsaws, brush clearing, and toiling in the sun just so I could get to A&M.

Looking back at it now, it was really fitting that I would be doing a lot more of the same at Student Bonfire not 3 weeks later with my fish buddies. I was 1,200 miles from the swamps outside of Oviedo, yet the woods, the dorms, and all my friends in FHK made it my new home.
Willis
AG
Getting all my stuff moved into my room freshman year in Schumacher and then sitting on the balcony to watch a sizeable U-Haul pull into the parking lot. A girl jumps out of the passenger side and heads to check in and get her room key with her mom while dad is repeatedly looking at the stuff in the U-Haul and back up to the dorm and back to the truck, slowly realizing there is no way on earth all his snowflake's crap is going in that dorm room.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.