Story Poster
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

TexAgs Top 118: Updated Texas Class of 2018 Recruiting Rankings

July 7, 2017

The members of the TexAgs recruiting team decided to delay our usual update by a week so that we could see/evaluate more of the state's best players in the recent 7-on-7 tournaments. We met earlier this week to discuss our evaluations and make our monthly moves as we saw fit. Here's a breakdown on our newest set of rankings...

Shake-up in the top 10

There's a new number one in the state, and it's Houston Lamar CB Anthony Cook. He's just been so consistently good at every event. We still believe Jalen Preston certainly has the talent to be the number one player, but Cook's run of form has catapulted him into the number one spot. Mustapha Muhammad keeps his place at two because, simply put, he's probably the best TE prospect the state has produced in five years.

Welcome to the top 10, Jalen Green and Bobby Brown (pictured above). Both of these guys have produced big summers that warranted a raise. As a team, we felt that Brown has clearly become the second best DL prospect behind Max Wright. Green was similar to Cook in that he's been outstanding at every event he's attended, including being one of the top performers at The Opening last week in Oregon.

Just outside of the top 10, Jaylen Waddle has moved up to the number two overall receiver spot. The kid is undoubtedly the most electric player in the state with the ball in his hands.

TexAgs Houston Lamar cornerback D'Shawn Jamison made a big move up the list this month, coming in at number 25.

Moves of note

A big mover in the secondary was Anthony Cook's Houston Lamar teammate D'Shawn Jamison. He's undersized, but he can really play.

He's competed against the best this summer and has looked up to the task each time. He comes in at number 25.

Conroe Oak Ridge DE Joseph Ossai has made a move into our top 44, mostly because of how his frame has continued to fill out. In a recent picture I saw on Twitter, he almost looks like a superhero. He's a guy that I could see moving into the top 30 by October.

Perhaps our two biggest movers up the board were guys that weren't even in our last set of rankings in Clear Brook WR Caleb Chapman (No. 54) and Manvel RB and A&M commit Deneric Prince (No. 60). Chapman has been sensational both at camps and in 7-on-7 tournaments, and Prince's skill set at the state 7-on-7 tournament last weekend in College Station was nothing short of eye-popping.

The biggest drop was from one of our favorite guys in Ridge Point LB Chad Bailey. He's been reported at over 240 pounds, which has resulted in some slower times, and some questions have emerged about what position he may play in college (FB or LB). Personally, I think his instincts are still off the chart, and he's a tackling machine. I think he'll drop weight, run faster and be back among the top 50 once the season starts.

Lastly, A&M DE commit Tyree Wilson makes an appearance at 93. With his frame and ceiling, his stock can only head north from here.

Texas A&M commit breakdown

4. Max Wright
7. Leon O'Neal
14. Colten Blanton
18. Montel Parker
23. Luke Matthews
33. Jordan Moore
36. Barton Clement
48. Dominic Livingston
60. Deneric Prince
84. Brian Johnson
93. Tyree Wilson
NR Cade Fortin (Georgia)
NR Seth Small (P/K)

Check out the fully updated list here: TexAgs Top 118 for 2018

Discussion from...

TexAgs Top 118: Updated Texas Class of 2018 Recruiting Rankings

10,329 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by edwardsk2003
edwardsk2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't believe a TE should be that high.
Simply bc they can't impact the game like a QB, DE, WR, RB...etc.
technoviking
AG
Or can they?? We haven't known whether or not they could. Maybe this year we find out
Pylon Cam
AG
I contend that impact is only a part of the equation. Things like talent level and how well they play are important. Because of this, I believe that there should be five-star kickers.
edwardsk2003
AG
Frustrating that eagles is #3 on composite.... Yet wasn't good enough for a&m to offer until A&M Qatar had offered....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.