Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Florida's defense

5,431 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by trm94
Tamu_mgm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Won't be as formidable as it was last year.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/What-Florida-has-to-replace-on-defense-this-season-53334880
ABATTBQ11
AG
Something tells me that won't matter...
Al Bula
AG
Kool aid flowing before July 4?
Meximan
Florida's best defense is a crazy black lady calling 911 'cause McDonald's ran out of nuggets.
Bone6
I imagine they'll still have a solid defense, but McElwain has not recruited close to the level you . normally see at that school.
edwardsk2003
AG
we lost to KSU.... i'm not sure it matters what caliber of athletes are across from us... :/
FishingAggie
edwardsk2003 said:

we lost to KSU.... i'm not sure it matters what caliber of athletes are across from us... :/

Sh** that's cold
Lol. Not sure there's much to say after that so I'm calling it.

Eot
ironmanag
AG
We beat Tennessee, UCLA, and the pig last year if we don't have the mass loss of personel on the defensive side like we did last year when we lost Watts, Willis, and Henderson and had very injured Myles and Dae Dae, we will beat Florida.
trm94
AG
There are several games that we have absolutely no shot - AU, AL, FL, and LSU. Our season will depend on how well we do against the rest of the schedule
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
trm94 said:

There are several games that we have absolutely no shot - AU, AL, FL, and LSU. Our season will depend on how well we do against the rest of the schedule

You sir, are full of crap!
vander54
S
Our-turn-to-rule said:

trm94 said:

You sir, are full of crap!

I second this!
Flexbone
edwardsk2003 said:

Sans 9 starters.
Flexbone
trm94 said:

You clearly know a LOT about football.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
trm94 said:

Pretty sure he was the idiot who said there is no way we would get past 5-7. He's a smart one.
BrandoC
AG
EVERY team has injuries. Good SEC schools have backups just as good as the starters, we not even close.
trm94
AG
Okay, maybe a 10% chance to win. AU will name their score against our defense, and we will struggle to score against AL, FL, and LSU. Lucky to win 7 games next year with new QB, WR, etc... I actually think it will be more like 5-7 for the final record

Its actually very simple - our lack of pass rush means that any QB worth a crap is going to have a field day against this defense no matter how good the secondary is. The only pass rush will have to come with blitzing, or other positions. Sure isn't coming from the DE spot this year. Probably not at LB either since our recruiting for both has been so subpar.

So any team with a good QB is going to win. That is a LOT of teams on the schedule next year.
Ag4coal
Florida is game 7 and after Alabama. I'm sure it won't really matter what their defense looks like because that when we start struggling to stop MSU
FishingAggie
trm94 said:

Okay, maybe a 10% chance to win. AU will name their score against our defense, and we will struggle to score against AL, FL, and LSU. Lucky to win 7 games next year with new QB, WR, etc... I actually think it will be more like 5-7 for the final record

Its actually very simple - our lack of pass rush means that any QB worth a crap is going to have a field day against this defense no matter how good the secondary is. The only pass rush will have to come with blitzing, or other positions. Sure isn't coming from the DE spot this year. Probably not at LB either since our recruiting for both has been so subpar.

So any team with a good QB is going to win. That is a LOT of teams on the schedule next year.

Not so fast my friend....

THIS is college football. That's the greatest thing.

You never know what's going to happen. These kids are just that. Kids. Great teams have bad days.

I have no idea how we'll do, but I sure wouldn't go on record now as low as 5-7. Do you know how many starters Florida lost? Auburn is betting the farm on stidham ( honestly I wanted that kid here one year really bad) but if he doesn't okay well, chances are auburn sucks and gus is looking for a job. He's in the same spot as sumlin.

Bama yeah they'll kick our ass. LSU. Probably. The rest are pick em's.

We'll beat a team we shouldn't and lose to someone we shouldn't this year. Guarantee you that.
vander54
S
FishingAggie said:

trm94 said:

Not so fast my friend....

THIS is college football. That's the greatest thing.

You never know what's going to happen. These kids are just that. Kids. Great teams have bad days.

I have no idea how we'll do, but I sure wouldn't go on record now as low as 5-7. Do you know how many starters Florida lost? Auburn is betting the farm on stidham ( honestly I wanted that kid here one year really bad) but if he doesn't okay well, chances are auburn sucks and gus is looking for a job. He's in the same spot as sumlin.

Bama yeah they'll kick our ass. LSU. Probably. The rest are pick em's.

We'll beat a team we shouldn't and lose to someone we shouldn't this year. Guarantee you that.

The only game that I will concede right now is Bama, for the obvious reason. I would say LSU if Miles was still there but he's not so I say we have a chance. As for the rest Florida lost a lot. As stated above Auburn is betting the farm on Stidham and they only have a chance to do well of he does.

I still think our defense will be improved next year. I think we will be better against the run and have better coverage, the only question will be our pass rush.

Our offense will be good no matter what, the only question is how good and that will be 100% on the QB's shoulders. Will we be top 10 offense or top 50 that is the only question with our offense.
TyHolden
AG
trm94 said:

Our margin for error will be very small. Any serious injuries and we're done unless we have a jff season from somebody. Are there early lines on these games?
vander54
S
DSAg44 said:

trm94 said:

Our margin for error will be very small. Any serious injuries and we're done unless we have a jff season from somebody. Are there early lines on these games?

Yes I know Bama and LSU were both at least -12 on the early lines. Not sure on Florida or Auburn. Arkansas was another early LINE and I think we were -6
BanderaAg956
Ag4coal said:

Florida is game 7 and after Alabama. I'm sure it won't really matter what their defense looks like because that when we start struggling to stop MSU

Texas A&M Football for $1,000.00 Alex! What happens against SEC competition late in the season the last 3 years?
Famous Shoes
AG
Hu11abaloo
AG
Flexbone said:

edwardsk2003 said:

Sans 9 starters.
This is not an excuse, and not only that, but it's not true; we still had many of our best players in that day.

Either way, let's play your game -- we still don't have the required depth to play a late-season game and beat a middling big 12 team, and you seek to rationalize it?

We lost to K St with an experienced senior QB on offense and Myles on defense... How can we honestly believe we stand a chance against UF with Starkel replacing Knight, and our scrub DE backups for Garrett & Hall?
Wooahhhh
AG
The pass rush may come from up the gut this year, not the edges. But scrubs for DE is the worst description ever. I'm a Chavis believer, I thiink we get better in year 3 on D. Starkel or maybe some Mond and RB's who can carry the load, with a 2nd year of Turner for the OL is what's got me thinking we can be the team this fanbase (our fanbase, not Texags fanbase) can stand behind.

My main belief is our Chavis-led D will continue to improve and show up this year, imo. I think we'll be better than the Gator defense - just to keep the thread on track.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
BrandoC said:

EVERY team has injuries. Good SEC schools have backups just as good as the starters, we not even close.

Wrong. As good as the starters? No.
aggieclay
I'm optimistic but some kids will need to grow up, fast!
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Wooahhhh said:

The pass rush may come from up the gut this year, not the edges. But scrubs for DE is the worst description ever. I'm a Chavis believer, I thiink we get better in year 3 on D. Starkel or maybe some Mond and RB's who can carry the load, with a 2nd year of Turner for the OL is what's got me thinking we can be the team this fanbase (our fanbase, not Texags fanbase) can stand behind.

My main belief is our Chavis-led D will continue to improve and show up this year, imo. I think we'll be better than the Gator defense - just to keep the thread on track.

Seniors:
Wilson
Watts
Willis
Henderson
J. Johnson
Cunningham

Juniors:
Mack
Keke
D. Thomas
Alaka
Gillaspia

Sophmores:
Clemons
Dunning
Dodson
Pryor
Oliver
Chattman/Elam

Freshmen:
Tyree Johnson
Peevy
Madubuike (RS)
Moton (RS)
Hines
Tucker
Okeke (RS)
Fuller (RS)

I tried to include only the guys that will get significant playing time. But that is quite a bit of depth and quite a bit of experience compared to years past. I'm excited about our D this year. Will be athletic, quality depth and physical. Almost every position has at least one quality back-up. We haven't been able to say that for a while now.
Tamu_mgm
AG
trm94 said:

This is a point I've yet to see anyone challenge so I'll have a whack at it.

If you noticed last year, other than a few games, Myles was mostly either double or triple teamed, which gave Hall on the other side an easier 1 on 1 to get to the QB...however he rarely took advantage. As great as Myles was here at A&M, our pass rush even with him last year was only good, but not great. We were top 30 in sack %, but Chavis also ran a ton of blitz from the linebackers and safeties because quite often our DEs were not getting home like they were expected to (https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/sack-pct).

What's my point? I don't see as steep of a drop off occurring as many are expecting without Myles and Dae Dae.

I expect Chavis to be just as if not more aggressive in calling blitzes and being multiple in his scheme (3-4 fronts) due to our loss at the DE position. And more importantly, I expect Jarret and Qualen to be decently productive as the starting DEs (Jarret matched Dae Dae's sack number as a backup). Because of this reason I don't think QBs will just have a "field day" with us. Heck this year we might, just MIGHT have the capability to make teams more one dimensional by having a better unit equipped to stop the run, SO that we can focus more on defending the pass / pressuring the QB in 3rd and longs.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
To me, Daeshon wasn't a naural pass rusher. He was a tad bit overrated. I think he has the physical tools, but needs a few more years at the positon until he becomes a solid pass rusher (in the nfl of course).
Maroon Dawn
AG
Too much inexperience, too little depth, too many holes....all at key positions

6-6 is our number this year BUT the luck factor in CFB means that could easily be 5-7 or 7-5 depending on which way the ball bounces
TexasAggie_97
AG
trm94 said:

If that is the case then we are in for a very long painful season with the only highlight being the hiring of a new coach.
trm94
AG
Tamu_mgm,

I like your analysis, except that we have nobody this year that is worthy of a double team. That means with less talent we have to generate some kind of pass rush, and the LB's who usually do that are nothing to write home about. Our safeties will probably have the most sacks this year, due to blitzing (that would be an interesting statistic)

Also, unless I am missing something we are the ONLY team in the West that gets "worse" at QB. Even the Mississippi schools that beat us last year no longer have freshmen at the position.

Normally the lack of defense wouldn't be too bad this Fall, but the lack of offense will only amplify the issues. New QB, and new WR's at the same time is a recipe for disaster if the defense is terrible. I expect almost the entire SEC to stack the LOS and dare us to beat them throwing the ball.

Oh, and my lack of faith in the defense is based on the fact they were garbage last year when we rested the starters. Sumlin has done a truly horrendous job recruiting on that side of the ball since his one great defensive class that all just went to the NFL. I could be wrong though - that is why they play the games
jickyjack1
trm94 said:

Absolutely no shot?

You're a great Aggie.
16Ag18
AG
Finally someone who feels the same way I do!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.