Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ags might need to visit their own history.....

17,516 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dog
dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If things don't work out with Sumlin.....and I DO want them to work out, but if they don't.....

We need to revisit the Jackie Sherrill hiring. We had a deal with Bo Schembecler but a last second "pizza deal" kept him in Ann Arbor. We then went out and got Jackie, and we all know how that turned out, as he turned out to be A&M's best coach since the Bear. Did we get our money's worth?

So, what is this history? Simple, we opened up our wallets. We paid him $250,000, which made Sherrill the highest paid college coach ever.

I'm not saying we need to necessarily make a new coach the highest paid ever, but we do need to "buy" a very top notch coach.

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

We need to do some preliminary work & contact their agents to get some ball park figures to see where we stand.

Did LSU not meet Fisher's asking price?

Will Peterson ever leave the NW?

Will Franklin leave PSU since he's from Pa?

Have no idea what their buyouts are.

There might be a few more like these out there, but they are FEW & FAR BETWEEN!!

Saban, Myer, Harbaugh.....don't think they are realistically available.

We might not be able to "hit the moon" but we sure need to shoot for it.

rollingwoodaggie
Agree we need to make a splash hire but it's a lot harder to throw a bunch or money at a guy like we did Jackie. Coaches at most of the upper half of the FBS get paid very well. Convincing a coach to leave a progrem for a few million more for the pressure cooker of the sec west won't be easy. Hell....tu is a good example of how hard it is to get a proven coach. We hate tu but they are a top five job snd they settled for Strong and then had settle on an up and comer with Herman. Pray we can get a great if we fire Sumlin but the environment of college football is lot different now than early 80's. Also I sure our AD has had his feelers out since last December on who may be interested. His list is already getting ready
dog
AG
rollingwoodaggie said:

Agree we need to make a splash hire but it's a lot harder to through s bunch or money at a guy like we did Jackie. Coaches at most of the upper half of the FBS get paid very well. Convincing a coach to leave a progrem for s few million to more for the pressure cooker of the sec west won't be easy. Hell....tu is a good example of how hard it is to get a proven coach. We hate tu but they are a top five job snd they settled for Strong and then had settled on up and comer with Herman. Pray we can get s great if we fire Sumlin but the environment of college football is lot different now than early 80's
Shoot low hit low.
vander54
S
rollingwoodaggie said:

Agree we need to make a splash hire but it's a lot harder to throw a bunch or money at a guy like we did Jackie. Coaches at most of the upper half of the FBS get paid very well. Convincing a coach to leave a progrem for a few million more for the pressure cooker of the sec west won't be easy. Hell....tu is a good example of how hard it is to get a proven coach. We hate tu but they are a top five job snd they settled for Strong and then had settle on an up and comer with Herman. Pray we can get a great if we fire Sumlin but the environment of college football is lot different now than early 80's. Also I sure our AD has had his feelers out since last December on who may be interested. His list is already getting ready

Mostly agree. The only thing I don't agree with is Herman, I don't think tu settled on Herman. I think he was their guy all along.
rollingwoodaggie
Did I say shoot low???? No. Try to get a huge fish.....just saying odds are it won't happen. You can try but you better do your research on some young up and comers as well. I will say I think Woodward is equipped to make a great hire more than any we have ever had. Not sure why I feel that way. The big money Ags need to step aside and let him do his job. Will it happen? Probably not but one can hope.
rollingwoodaggie
I think tu settled. Herman was their guy this time because a few years before they were humbled in their previous coaching search. They realized that they couldnlt money whip a proven championship coach like they thought they could.
luke7203
You could argue the same method that brought us Jackie also brought us Fran.
texag86
AG
I thought it was aim small miss small
dog
AG
rollingwoodaggie said:

Did I say shoot low???? No. Try to get a huge fish.....just saying odds are it won't happen. You can try but you better do your research on some young up and comers as well. I will say I think Woodward is equipped to make a great hire more than any we have ever had. Not sure why I feel that way. The big money Ags need to step aside and let him do his job. Will it happen? Probably not but one can hope.
Never said it would be easy, but we should at least give it a shot.
rollingwoodaggie
Sure give it a shot. But chances of it working are very low compared to early 80's
Womackster
AG
Jackie averaged less than 8 wins a season. He was a great coach, but I fail to see how that is somehow obviously better than Sumlin.
dog
AG
Womackster said:

Jackie averaged less than 8 wins a season. He was a great coach, but I fail to see how that is somehow obviously better than Sumlin.
How many conference championships did Sherrill win?

How many has Sumlin won?
rollingwoodaggie
I thnk a guy like VT Justin Fuente would a good hire and may be attainable. However only going into second year at VT and may not want to leave
dixichkn
AG
dog said:

Womackster said:

How many has Sumlin won?
Apples and oranges. Jackie Won 3 championships in a SWC that was already beginning to be pulled apart and weakened by nonstop scandal and infighting. While they were great teams, I'd say they were fringe top 10 at absolute best. Sumlin jumped right into the teeth of the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country. You simply cannot compare the two at face value. And trust me, I love me some Jackie. Remains my favorite coach to this day.
OrygunAg
AG
Fran
Meximan
Quote:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin
None of those three are leaving their current jobs.

Personally I like to see schools taking chances on the unproven guy; Dabo Swinney had never held even a coordinator's position before being made head coach. You can't find the next Great (with a capital G) coach by hiring retreads; Saban had already been proven to be a great coach before Alabama, as he'd already won an MNC at LSU.
Meximan
rollingwoodaggie said:

I thnk a guy like VT Justin Fuente would a good hire and may be attainable. However only going into second year at VT and may not want to leave
VTech is a very high profile job. Fuente could win big at VTech. I really don't see why people think he can be pried away from that job, it's easily a top 30, top 40 gig in its worst years, arguably top 20 on its average years.
aeon-ag
dog said:

If things don't work out with Sumlin.....and I DO want them to work out, but if they don't.....

We need to revisit the Jackie Sherrill hiring. We had a deal with Bo Schembecler but a last second "pizza deal" kept him in Ann Arbor. We then went out and got Jackie, and we all know how that turned out, as he turned out to be A&M's best coach since the Bear. Did we get our money's worth?

So, what is this history? Simple, we opened up our wallets. We paid him $250,000, which made Sherrill the highest paid college coach ever.

I'm not saying we need to necessarily make a new coach the highest paid ever, but we do need to "buy" a very top notch coach.

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

We need to do some preliminary work & contact their agents to get some ball park figures to see where we stand.

Did LSU not meet Fisher's asking price?

Will Peterson ever leave the NW?

Will Franklin leave PSU since he's from Pa?

Have no idea what their buyouts are.

There might be a few more like these out there, but they are FEW & FAR BETWEEN!!

Saban, Myer, Harbaugh.....don't think they are realistically available.

We might not be able to "hit the moon" but we sure need to shoot for it.

Schembecler was never going to leave Michigan, he used the A&M deal as leverage for more$$$.
Science Denier
AG
luke7203 said:

Fran inherited a total ****pile. There was zero talent on that team. Hell, the 2002 team finished 6-6 with a TON of NFL draft pics, showing the depth was at an all time low.

If we continue to stick with 8-5, we will saddle the next head coach with a team similar to the 2003 team and make it damn near impossible for him to succeed.

Now, I'm not saying Fran was anything but crap. However, we need to make a change before Sumlin runs us totally in the ground like RC did.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
I love that it tu got Herman. He does NOT impress me in the least bit - tu has been irrelevant for many years and will for the next 5 at least. Herman will be fired after 4 years with a winning percentage of 56%. Book it.
Science Denier
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

I love that it tu got Herman. He does NOT impress me in the least bit - tu has been irrelevant for many years and will for the next 5 at least. Herman will be fired after 4 years with a winning percentage of 56%. Book it.

It's early. He seems to be getting the new coach bump in recruiting, though.

He plays **** teams, so it won't take much to show improvement. If he can do that, media will be slobbering all over them.
Lateralus Ag
AG
jblaschke said:

DrHeadShrink said:

It's early. He seems to be getting the new coach bump in recruiting, though.

He plays **** teams, so it won't take much to show improvement. If he can do that, media will be slobbering all over them.

This. Herman has a great chance to be "successful" in Austin. All he has to do is win 7 or 8 games and we will hear that "Texas is Back" ad nauseum.

I am mixed on Herman. But make no mistake, that guy is sitting in a great spot after Strong...
FishingAggie
Tu's schedule this year is a joke. They'll win games. Herman will he crowned as awesome and their recruiting will pick up tremendously.

We may have missed our window to close the door on those guys. Damn shame. We had a chance to put them in second place for a long time
BanderaAg956
rollingwoodaggie said:

We have had several splash hires - Sumlin, Sherman, & Fran... a splash like a spastic 11 year old trying to dive and does a belly flop!
BigOil
AG
Money doesn't guarantee anything.
Jack Cheese
AG
We should just get on the coaching carousel every 4-5 years. It's expensive but so much fun!
ghowe
AG
dixichkn said:

dog said:

Womackster said:

How many has Sumlin won?
Apples and oranges. Jackie Won 3 championships in a SWC that was already beginning to be pulled apart and weakened by nonstop scandal and infighting. While they were great teams, I'd say they were fringe top 10 at absolute best. Sumlin jumped right into the teeth of the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country. You simply cannot compare the two at face value. And trust me, I love me some Jackie.
Bo Jackson and Tim Brown disagree. If you guys want to support Sumlin I think that is fine. But GTFO with these ridiculous intellectually dishonest statements.
TxAg76
AG
luke7203 said:

This x Eleventy Billion

We wont cross that mythical championship threshold until we get ourselves out of our own damn way.
We have so many rich people that want to win big, so bad....which is both good and bad....that have no clue about making football decisions....yet still weild all the power to continue to be able to make them.
If we really wanna make a change, then change THAT.

Make a great AD and select Admin hires, and then let them do their job.
Florida seems to have a pretty good setup, steal that.
Amazing Moves
Quote:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

Quote:

None of those three are leaving their current jobs.

I think Fisher is the one that we would have a chance with. He is not nearly appreciated like he should be at FSU. He knows it. We have more money than LSU. It would take an obscene offer but, I think he could bite.

You add David Shaw to that list too. Obscene offer. That's what it's gonna take to get an established winner. If we offer it enough, one of these guys will eventually see the potential and take it. Like Jackie did. Like Bama did with Saban. Like Michigan did with Harbaugh.

Our school and athletic department is in the position to do it. Richest in the country.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
A pick that I would absolutely be down for that I think could definitely happen is Gundy. He has done miracles at OK State and apparently hates how controlling Boone is.
John Francis Donaghy
I agree with OP. If we're going to look at what we did to take Sherrill from Pitt, I think we would do well to look at Narduzzi and try to take him from Pitt too.

Pitt was mired in a world of .500 seasons before Narduzzi came in. He elevated them to 8-5 in year 1, and 8-5 again last year, although that included wins over eventual national champion Clemson and Big 10 champion Penn St, and 4 of those 5 losses were by less than a touchdown. I expect Pitt to have a big year in 2017, and start to win more of the close call type of games as a culture of winning takes deeper root, and if Sumlin craters and is shown the door, I think Narduzzi would be a major splash hire.
vander54
S
Champ Bailey said:

A pick that I would absolutely be down for that I think could definitely happen is Gundy. He has done miracles at OK State and apparently hates how controlling Boone is.

I know it doesn't mean much but he just signed a 5 year extension. $4.2 million a year with a guaranteed $125 thousand raise each year.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Champ Bailey said:

It is unpopular here (apparently because we don't like proven coaches) but I agree. Gundy would be good here.

But it will never happen.
La Bamba
AG
Spoken with a few Hs coaches/coordinators around the state who aren't tu guys at all but have been to a few Herman practices and all have raved about how he practices. In the past, tu teams have been characterized by being soft, coddled and entitled. Look for that to change with Herman. I think they may have made a pretty good hire as much as it pains me to say.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
AH I didn't know that. However, I still think A&M could be a sell for him. Better conference, better money, less micromanagement, and a hell of an easier time going after essentially the same recruits he pursues now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.