Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ags might need to visit their own history.....

17,514 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dog
Fightin Ag491
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dog said:

If things don't work out with Sumlin.....and I DO want them to work out, but if they don't.....

We need to revisit the Jackie Sherrill hiring. We had a deal with Bo Schembecler but a last second "pizza deal" kept him in Ann Arbor. We then went out and got Jackie, and we all know how that turned out, as he turned out to be A&M's best coach since the Bear. Did we get our money's worth?

So, what is this history? Simple, we opened up our wallets. We paid him $250,000, which made Sherrill the highest paid college coach ever.

I'm not saying we need to necessarily make a new coach the highest paid ever, but we do need to "buy" a very top notch coach.

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

We need to do some preliminary work & contact their agents to get some ball park figures to see where we stand.

Did LSU not meet Fisher's asking price?

Will Peterson ever leave the NW?

Will Franklin leave PSU since he's from Pa?

Have no idea what their buyouts are.

There might be a few more like these out there, but they are FEW & FAR BETWEEN!!

Saban, Myer, Harbaugh.....don't think they are realistically available.

We might not be able to "hit the moon" but we sure need to shoot for it.

I like the shoot for the moon attitude, but I would say that even Fisher, Peterson, and Franklin, coaches at Florida State, Washington, and Penn State are going absolutely nowhere any time soon. A&M doesn't necessarily have night & day more to offer than those schools do. The coaches have already proved that they can compete for titles at the schools they're already in.

Why would they leave to come build a recruiting bed in a completely new part of the country? Against the likes of SEC teams, Texas and Oklahoma no less? If A&M wants their guy, it's going to be someone from a lesser school than A&M. That's just how it is. Same as it was with Herman, McElwain, and Taggart
pinche gringo
AG
heddy Lamarr said:

yes because our history shows we fire successful coaches just to hire the idiot flavor of the day....Like when we canned RC for Fran.....Sumlin has been successful...process of converting from a bad Big 12 tear to a consistent SEC West team isn't easy but we're on the right path.

Interesting, albeit wrong, conclusion.

What history actually tells us is that we have a tendancy to keep an underperforming coach too long. There are the occasional splash hires, which might yield a few years of success (even Fran had a good season) then we return back to the normal pattern of mediocrity.
AnalogyAg
no, other than keeping RC long past when we shoulda known he would never get us to the to top,i think we fire our coaches on a reasonable schedule. Wilson after 3, Fran after 5 yrs (mistake was theextension after yr2) Sherman after 4 yrs.

thats an average of FOUR YEARS!!! how do you conclude that the problem is we keep our coaches too long????

judt dont understand some people's logic.
AnalogyAg
for record, i think RC shoulda been let go after '96 season. Thats what really set us back. even though we had a decent '97 and a very good '98, was obvious he didnt "get" offense needed for top level, and never would.
jml2621
Amazing Moves said:

Quote:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

Quote:

None of those three are leaving their current jobs.

I think Fisher is the one that we would have a chance with. He is not nearly appreciated like he should be at FSU. He knows it. We have more money than LSU. It would take an obscene offer but, I think he could bite.

You add David Shaw to that list too. Obscene offer. That's what it's gonna take to get an established winner. If we offer it enough, one of these guys will eventually see the potential and take it. Like Jackie did. Like Bama did with Saban. Like Michigan did with Harbaugh.

Our school and athletic department is in the position to do it. Richest in the country.

I agree with this analysis. The FSU crowd LOVED Bowden. Even if Jimbo won another NC. it would still be a lose/lose. We have the table set.

Shaw is tough minded - would need a good OC to do well.

Kelly's not off the table - would need the right DC. Can't see Petersen leaving the West Coast...
jml2621
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

RightWingConspirator said:

The coaches at A&M aren't the problem. They are the symptom or manifestation of the problem. The problem at A&M are the folks that hire the coaches and the mindset that leads them to choose said coaches. This will continue to be a problem. This is why I won't worry myself too much about A&M athletics going forward. It's just not worth the grief and frustration.

Everyone loved our boosters when they went out and got Fran

As soon as I saw those twin black BMWs drive into town, I knew it was trouble. No fit.

fistofsouth
jml2621 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

RightWingConspirator said:

The coaches at A&M aren't the problem. They are the symptom or manifestation of the problem. The problem at A&M are the folks that hire the coaches and the mindset that leads them to choose said coaches. This will continue to be a problem. This is why I won't worry myself too much about A&M athletics going forward. It's just not worth the grief and frustration.

Everyone loved our boosters when they went out and got Fran

As soon as I saw those twin black BMWs drive into town, I knew it was trouble. No fit.

If driving F250s was the sign of a good Aggie then half the current t-sip roster plays for A&M. Attitude and work ethic make a good Aggie Supporter, not what they drive.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Whoa! Whoa!

What is this talk of hiring a proven coach who wins at a P5 school?!??

Our BMA plan for success clearly states that we conduct a national search just happens to never leave the I-45 corridor and hire a coach they are buddies with from a local Texas D2 school because surely they'll win for us too!
fireinthehole
John Francis Donaghy said:

Yep, 8-5 is a funny record in college football. You can be a great team, with huge signature wins, and able to go toe-to-toe witj anyone in the country, and go 8-5 after a few unlucky breaks.

You can also be a mediocre to bad team, get blown out by every decent opponant you face, beat the cream puffs, catch a few lucky breaks in the middling games, and end up 8-5.

9 or 10+ wins speaks for itself, 7 or less also speaks for itself. 8-5 requires more detail to make sense of.

Unfortunately Sumlin's 8-5 seasons thr past few years have been much closer to the second description.

8-4 before bowl this season would be very good. It would mean 5 SEC wins with a murderous schedule, or 4 SEC wins with a win at UCLA.
Chosen One
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Do you really want a coach that is afraid to compete? Coaches are like fighter pilots. Cockier the better.

I'm guessing you don't know too many fighter pilots? I know two, both flew with the Black Widows out of Hill AFB. Neither were cocky, both were extremely skilled at their job. Stop watching top gun.

A great coach doesn't have to be cocky, they have to be smart, skilled and organized with a great plan to make it work.

Jackie was a good coach that had three good years in College Station and then went to Miss St and stunk it up. He never came close to conference title in the SEC.

Keep in mind I followed Jackie very close as I had two buddies playing for him as 12th men. Both of those guys would still call him the greatest coach that ever lived, and if he called them up today they would still run through a brick wall for him.

To be successful in the SEC West you need a coach better than any that has ever coached in College Station.

I have no idea who that is, but your alumni and administration have to find them.

I personally would start my search in Dallas and Ft Worth.

Seamaster
AG
So funny.

After 2012 all ya'll were panicking that Sumlin was going to bolt for the NFL.

bigblock
Champ Bailey said:

A pick that I would absolutely be down for that I think could definitely happen is Gundy. He has done miracles at OK State and apparently hates how controlling Boone is.

His mullet would win championships!
William_C_G
AG
Is "Chosen One" familiar with Bear Bryant, D.X. Bible, or Charley Moran?
Unknown_handle
AG
Unless Sumlin wins 9 or 10 games we will never get our recruiting up to be able to compete in the SEC. Our brand just doesn't do it. We got a Johnny Football bump and even with the best facilities in the country we are just a barely top 25 school.
jess09
John Harbough
JayAggie
AG
Ranking the last 5 coaches (1st = best; 5th = worst)

- RC
- Sumlin
- Sherril
- Sherman
- Fran

Sumlin has seen us through the transition to the SEC, stadium renovation, and improving our basement expectations. Anyone remember those 4-8 seasons? I get it, we should expect more, he's had the time, they also missed on the most critical position on the team. Texas does that and look at them. We do it and we're going 8-4; 8-5, etc. He's got a critical decision to make at QB this year, he knows it, we all know it.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Jackie got short shrift there.

-Jackie inherited a mess
-Jackie built a solid base
-Jackie won in years 4-6
-Jackie had a down year in year 7 (All 4 OOC games against opponents who finished ranked)
-Jackie left RC in great shape

MSU is a backwater

-DKR's record there was 12-8 before he left for greener pastures
-Emory Bellard had a losing record there
-The only other winning coach between DKR and Mullen had half his wins vacated by the NCAA
-Dan Mullen is the winningest coach in their history at 61-42
74Ag1
AG
dog said:

If things don't work out with Sumlin.....and I DO want them to work out, but if they don't.....

We need to revisit the Jackie Sherrill hiring. We had a deal with Bo Schembecler but a last second "pizza deal" kept him in Ann Arbor. We then went out and got Jackie, and we all know how that turned out, as he turned out to be A&M's best coach since the Bear. Did we get our money's worth?

So, what is this history? Simple, we opened up our wallets. We paid him $250,000, which made Sherrill the highest paid college coach ever.

I'm not saying we need to necessarily make a new coach the highest paid ever, but we do need to "buy" a very top notch coach.

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

We need to do some preliminary work & contact their agents to get some ball park figures to see where we stand.

There might be a few more like these out there, but they are FEW & FAR BETWEEN!!

If Petersen would come for $ we'd be foolish not to give him what he wants. Would love to have him, but don't think he leaves the WC.

Fisher if interested same deal. Show him the money.

Franklin is building a team at PSU and he's from Penn so I think he's out but $ may get him.

I like:
1) DJ Durkin
2) Pat Narduzzi
3) Justin Fuente
4) Chad Morris
5) Brent Venables
dog
AG
Think how much better off our athletic dept. would be if Woodward would listen to me often!!
SidetrackAg
AG
La Bamba said:

Spoken with a few Hs coaches/coordinators around the state who aren't tu guys at all but have been to a few Herman practices and all have raved about how he practices. In the past, tu teams have been characterized by being soft, coddled and entitled. Look for that to change with Herman. I think they may have made a pretty good hire as much as it pains me to say.

Suns Out Guns Out*

*indoor practice
dog
AG
Meximan said:

Quote:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

Personally I like to see schools taking chances on the unproven guy; Dabo Swinney had never held even a coordinator's position before being made head coach. You can't find the next Great (with a capital G) coach by hiring retreads; Saban had already been proven to be a great coach before Alabama, as he'd already won an MNC at LSU.
You wanna bet!!
aeon-ag
dog said:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

Schembecler was never coming here, he used A&M to fatten his salary.
wbt5845
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

I like the shoot for the moon attitude, but I would say that even Fisher, Peterson, and Franklin, coaches at Florida State, Washington, and Penn State are going absolutely nowhere any time soon. A&M doesn't necessarily have night & day more to offer than those schools do. The coaches have already proved that they can compete for titles at the schools they're already in.

Why would they leave to come build a recruiting bed in a completely new part of the country? Against the likes of SEC teams, Texas and Oklahoma no less? If A&M wants their guy, it's going to be someone from a lesser school than A&M. That's just how it is. Same as it was with Herman, McElwain, and Taggart
Redrooster
They offered Saban 100 million 4year ago and Mack Brown refusing to step down gracefully cost them. Fisher and the rest used Texas for leverage for raises and longer contracts and had to settle for Strong. Circumstances and big money have to be favorable to land bigtime coaches.
Meximan
Meximan said:

Quote:

Fisher

Peterson

Franklin

Personally I like to see schools taking chances on the unproven guy; Dabo Swinney had never held even a coordinator's position before being made head coach. You can't find the next Great (with a capital G) coach by hiring retreads; Saban had already been proven to be a great coach before Alabama, as he'd already won an MNC at LSU.

Wish I had laugh/cry for myself.
Meximan
'Course at the time FSU hadn't yet buried their foot completely up Jimbo's ass, so...
yell_on_6th st
AG
Wrong thread
dog
AG
Meximan said:

'Course at the time FSU hadn't yet buried their foot completely up Jimbo's ass, so...
Just admit it.....you were WRONG!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.